WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Another 1st time hanger report.

About two months ago I bought a HH Explorer Deluxe after lurking these forums and Sgt Rock's for some time. I'm 6'3" and this was the only one I saw that I felt would comfortably fit me. The bad part about buying a hammock in January is well, it's January.

Yesterday was beautiful with highs in the mid 70s in eastern NC and lows projected in the lower 40s. Perfecto! It was late last night before I was able to go into the woods behind the house to set up. I had been practicing my hammock knot on the bedpost and was able to perform it in the dark without a hitch.

After tightening the fly, I threw my 10 degree bag, a cotton throw and a pillow in. Gently gently gently I sat down... this is after all my first real go of hammock camping. Lo and behold, the hammock and the trees don't fall. I think we're good to go.

I think I need a lefthanded sleeping bag. After some tossing, turning and interesting manipulations, I get my bag 1/2 zipped, which is good enough for me. I toss the cotton throw over my upper torso, chunk the pillow under my head and listen to the wind billow across the rainfly.

Note to self: Pitch the rainfly seperate from the hammock. It sags too much. Question to community: What's the best way to do this?

When I sleep I have two positions: on my back and on my right hand side. I was very pleased to find that the hammock is accomodating of both. I drifted off to sleep after marveling at the tree root that was not digging into my back.

About 1AM I heard an animal traveling towards my hammock at high speed. It ran under my hammock and into the glade behind the woods. WOOF WOOF WOOF. My dog Abby was chasing a cat or possum.

"ABBY! C'mere girl!" She came over and looked at me through the insect screen, laid down and slept under the hammock with me.

The next morning a mockingbird decided that 10 feet away from me was the perfect place to proclaim his mastery of my yard. I lay there for a while, pulled my glasses out of the loft and checked the thermometer I had attached to the ridgeline. It was 41 degrees.

Since I am a warm sleeper, if I got a cold spot it didn't really bother me. I just moved to my other position and continued to sleep like a baby. What a joy to wake up refreshed and not sore and achy. I put my shoes on, went inside and went back to bed, away from the mockingbird for another hour or so before I had to get up to go into the office.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Welcome to the crowd. Look into a bigger tarp, soming 8x8 or so. Tie the tarp using its own cords to the tree underneath the hammock line (idea stolen from Jeff's site). Fixes the problem and gives you a place to sit out of the rain.

Check out Jeff's site at www.tothewoods.net . He has a lot of good info in it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Biss
    practicing my hammock knot on the bedpost and was able to perform it in the dark without a hitch.
    Of course - that's because it's a lashing, not a hitch! Or even a knot...

J/K - Welcome to the hanging crowd! Glad to hear it suits you well.

Like HE said, tie separate cords to the ridgeline connectors of the tarp so you can hang the tarp by itself, to the same tree you hang the hammock from. That'll give you a dry place to unpack and setup in the rain, and will keep the tarp from sagging and blowing when you get in the hammock. The worse the weather, the lower I tie the tarp. I usually tie it right below the tree huggers with a trucker's hitch, then I just slide it lower if the weather turns south while I'm at camp. (I didn't come up with the idea...I think I got it from Peter Pan.)

The stock tarp might be good enough to keep you dry, but it doesn't give you much extra room for cooking and dressing and such. JRB's 8x8 is a great size, and I've never seen a tarp stand up to the wind like a MacCat. If weight isn't an issue, there are all kinds of suitable tarps, like a 9x9 for 20 oz at Campmor. Or if you want a hotel, you can get a standard 8x10 from all kinds of places for pretty light.

It's kinda weird when stuff runs under you isn't it? I've had raccoons run under me a couple of times in my backyard. Kinda freaked me out the first time.

Anyway, enjoy the hammock. You know where to come with any questions! Plenty of people here with all kind of ideas to help you out.

Images

happy hammock hanging to ya,proud ta have ya neo

Images

welcome...

wait til you get an underquilt instead of a cotton throw! sheer heaven.

i've had birds come land under the fly and sit on the ridgeline... very cool...

whenever my back starts hurting, i set up out in the yard and spend the night... works wonders on my back, and keeps my chiropractor bill under control...

a sagging fly can be fixed a number of ways... i have a bungi cord built into one end of my tarp that keeps it from happening.

again, welcome to the hanging crowd...

Images

happiness is hanging in a hammock neo

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. When I got back from the office on Friday, my three daughters (who I have started indoctrinating from an early age for a through hike in 7 years) said, "Daddy, we played in your hammock today! It's really cool." I think they were most enamored with the bottom loading feature.

Haha...my kids were enamored that they couldn't fall out when they swung too high and landed on the bugnet. I had to put a stop to that...

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Welcome to the Hanging Crowd...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

This weekend! Highs in the high 70s. Lows in the id 50s! The kids and I are hitting the woods. I'll be hanging, the kids will be in the tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Biss
    This weekend! Highs in the high 70s. Lows in the id 50s! The kids and I are hitting the woods. I'll be hanging, the kids will be in the tent.
    have a great trip and enjoy it neo

++ New Posts ++