WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Should the engagment ring be left at home?

Voters
48. This poll is closed
  • Leave it home

33 68.75%
  • Wear it, the only thing out there to give you problems are the mice

14 29.17%
  • Not sure

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should I leave the engagement ring home?

Okay, this may be a dumb question but...Should the engagment ring be left at home? I recently got engaged and haven't been back on the AT since but I am getting ready to pick up where I left off. They say to leave jewelry at home which I have always done but this one is a little different. What should I do?

Get a fake one that looks like the real one.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I wore my ring (wedding ring, that is) during my hike in 2003. But I lost so much weight that it would fall off when my hand was pointed downward. So ...I clipped it onto my sternum strap with a mini-caribeener and threaded my bandana through it for the rest of the hike.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Have you tried hiking with it yet? My hands swell so I don't wear rings when I hike. Hiking poles might help with that if you're so inclined.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It's really not the place for an engagement ring, per the reasons given above. Plus, I can just imagine the diamond slicing open the side of your new silnyl tent as you set it up in the middle of the pouring rain!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

You might beat it up a bit. Also, if you might be in the position to lose a decent amount of weight it can become loose and fall off. Greybeard had his wedding band fall off last year, and he never found it. My father's is still too loose to wear without fear of losing it, so be aware of that. Otherwise if you aren't worried about abusing it or losing it go for it!

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

If your fiance is too apprehensive if you remove the ring for the several months of your hike, I think you should consider what that bodes for the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by LuTotten
    What should I do?
    It's a traditional style, a diamond in a setting? Wear it on a chain around your neck.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I would say leave it home.....just to keep the grit and grime off it not to mention having it snag on something. And one other thing........
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I would leave it at home. The trail is a rough place and the diamond maybe scratched or even lost out of the prongs.

It is also something that you may not want to be flashing when hitching... just a thought.

I left my diamond and wedding band at home when I headed out. I felt really lonely and wanted my wedding band back as a connection with my husband but the diamond stayed home. I never hike with my diamond.

That said if it is insured I guess there would be no loss but I would take it off when hitching.

I wouldn't go with the idea of wearing it around my neck either unless insured against loss, chains can break get caught on things...

Perhaps your fiance can give you another "symbolic" ring/token that is not as precious as your diamond...

Just my thoughts. Congrats on the engagement. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Both my wedding band and engagement ring have small diamonds imbedded in the bands, so I'm planning to look into a really cheap basic band to wear instead when I (hopefully) thru next year. My decision to wear a band has nothing to do with my husband's preferences; rather, I feel it clarifies any encounters I might have with the opposite sex. However, I still haven't decided what to do about sizing. I'd be very skinny if I lost even 10-15 pounds -- would that kind of weight loss make your ring size change? I was leaning toward getting a slightly larger size due to hand swelling when hiking.

Perhaps your fiance can give you another "symbolic" ring/token that is not as precious as your diamond...
    How about a tatoo?

If it fits well, I don't think you're at risk of losing it; women lose less weight than men, and your hands and fingers, if anything, will be larger than usual from swelling, and not smaller.

One thing.....always keep the ring ON. Where you're at risk of losing it is in bathrooms, hostels, motels, etc. Keep it ON and you won't have a problem.

I don't think putting it around your neck is a good idea. Neck chains break sooner or later.

And lastly, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but it might actually be useful to be wearing an engagement ring, as you'll have something to point out to guys who are coming on a bit too strong. Show 'em the ring, flutter your fingers, and even the most ardent admirer is liable to back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    ................. Show 'em the ring, flutter your fingers, and even the most ardent admirer is liable to back off.

Only if theres a gun at the end of the ring would some guys back off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZZXF
    Both my wedding band and engagement ring have small diamonds embedded in the bands, so I'm planning to look into a really cheap basic band to wear instead when I (hopefully) their next year. My decision to wear a band has nothing to do with my husband's preferences; rather, I feel it clarifies any encounters I might have with the opposite sex. However, I still haven't decided what to do about sizing. I'd be very skinny if I lost even 10-15 pounds -- would that kind of weight loss make your ring size change? I was leaning toward getting a slightly larger size due to hand swelling when hiking.
    My regular band did fine, sometimes it was slightly tighter then normal due to swelling but no uncomfortable so. I usually only noticed that if I hung my arms down when not using my poles. When I lost weight it did get a little looser. That wasn't a problem until near the end, then I had to be careful not to lose it when I washed my hands.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

I've only hiked 300 miles, but I wore my wedding and engagement rings and never thought a thing about it. It was never an issue. And I never once snagged it on my sil nylon tent, or anything else for that matter. I know it's new to you and you don't want anything to happen to it, but after you've worn it for 20 years, it'll feel like part of your hand. I say hike with it on
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

If you wear it make sure it is insured for loss.

If they are not a hiker, leave them.

Wolf

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuTotten
    Okay, this may be a dumb question but...Should the engagment ring be left at home? I recently got engaged and haven't been back on the AT since but I am getting ready to pick up where I left off. They say to leave jewelry at home which I have always done but this one is a little different. What should I do?
    Only a fool, or a drooling male would answer such a question.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    Only a fool, or a drooling male would answer such a question.

Weary
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't post!.....Oops,...dammit...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++