WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PA AT camping locations

In a few months (hopefully early May), my wife and I are hoping to do a weekend backpacking hike along the AT. We're both completely new to backpacking, and I was hoping I might be able to mine the experience of anyone who is familiar with the AT in Pennsylvania to find a suitable location for a two day round-trip hike.

To clarify, what I'd like to do is drive to the trail on Friday evening and camp the night, then pack everything up and hike out Saturday morning. At some point Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll turn around and head back toward the car. We'd camp the night on the trail, and then on Sunday morning pack everything up again and make our way back to the car to head home.

I've gotten some advice which generally recommended somewhere in the vicinity of Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP (I think). I've done some research on the stretch, including the information on http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. However, having never gone backpacking before, I'm not sure exactly what certain things mean, and whether they are appropriate our purposes.

For instance, the guide mentions several 'shelters' along the way. But what exactly is a 'shelter'? Does it specifically mean a structure of some sort, or is it a general term for everything from a rustic camp ground to an enclosed bunkhouse without any places to pitch a tent?

And I'm assuming that I can't just stop and throw my tent up where ever I please and that I need to find a designated camp area. Am I correct, or am I getting concerned over a whole lot of nothing?

I guess what I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with is to give me some idea of what to look for and what to expect when I'm walking on the AT and looking for a place to sleep for the night. I hate to leave it up to random chance that I'll find what I'm looking for when I get there.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ray

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RMGreen
    In a few months (hopefully early May), my wife and I are hoping to do a weekend backpacking hike along the AT. We're both completely new to backpacking, and I was hoping I might be able to mine the experience of anyone who is familiar with the AT in Pennsylvania to find a suitable location for a two day round-trip hike.

To clarify, what I'd like to do is drive to the trail on Friday evening and camp the night, then pack everything up and hike out Saturday morning. At some point Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll turn around and head back toward the car. We'd camp the night on the trail, and then on Sunday morning pack everything up again and make our way back to the car to head home.

I've gotten some advice which generally recommended somewhere in the vicinity of Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP (I think). I've done some research on the stretch, including the information on http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. However, having never gone backpacking before, I'm not sure exactly what certain things mean, and whether they are appropriate our purposes.

For instance, the guide mentions several 'shelters' along the way. But what exactly is a 'shelter'? Does it specifically mean a structure of some sort, or is it a general term for everything from a rustic camp ground to an enclosed bunkhouse without any places to pitch a tent?

And I'm assuming that I can't just stop and throw my tent up where ever I please and that I need to find a designated camp area. Am I correct, or am I getting concerned over a whole lot of nothing?

I guess what I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with is to give me some idea of what to look for and what to expect when I'm walking on the AT and looking for a place to sleep for the night. I hate to leave it up to random chance that I'll find what I'm looking for when I get there.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ray
    any where ya can hang this

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

I've never stayed in either of the places you've mentioned, but I have done all of the AT in PA north of rt 501 and there are plenty of nice places that aren't neccessarily in a state park. If you data says that there is a shelter that normally implies a three walled lean-to type structure. Except for the rt 501 shelter and the eckville shelter which both have 4 walls . The shelters normally have a spot near by to pitch a tent if you need to.
    I don't have my data book handy but I know there are plenty of beutiful spots to take you first hike in PA. But be forwarned, have a good pair of boots, and be ready for the rocks.
    You can't scare me. I work with Cub Scouts

Most times, a shelter is a three-sided, one room cabin. There are pictures in the gallery.

Usually, there is somewhere to pitch a tent, but not always.

Different sections of trail have different regulations for pitching your tent. As an example, there are specific requirements for making camp in PA along the PA game lands. These requirements should be in the guidebook associated with the AT maps. In the 10th edition of the PA guide, see pg 29 for the game land regs.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

RM, that's a lot to cover. It's not clear, but I get the impression you haven't done a lot of hiking, period. If so, I'd recommend you do a few day hikes first. Then, a single nighter.

Shelters are basically three sided wooden structures, lean-to's, where you set up your sleeping bag on the floor.

There are a bunch of AT shelters in Pa. that are within 5-8 miles of a road, which would be ideal for an in-and-out overnighter. You can also pitch your tent near most shelters.

Shelters have zero privacy, but you are sure to meet other hikers who will be happy to help you out and share their experience.

I'm sure you'll get more advice from others here.

If you're going to do an overnighter, between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace would be ideal in May. Beautiful, fairly easy, several shelters. You'd have to go car-to-car or get shuttled to one end, but I can pretty much guarantee that you'd have a good time.

Thanks for the tips everyone. After I found this I managed to dig into the shelters/lean-to's forum for PA and actually saw some pictures of a 'shelter'. It gives me some idea of what's there, although I'm still generally unclear as to whether they are meant for tent camping or not.

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    any where ya can hang this
    Heh, looks comfy. But I don't think the wife would go for it, especially after we already invested in a tent. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by theurbansuburban
    The shelters normally have a spot near by to pitch a tent if you need to.
    I don't have my data book handy but I know there are plenty of beutiful spots to take you first hike in PA. But be forwarned, have a good pair of boots, and be ready for the rocks.
    Thanks, that's mostly what I wanted to know. And don't worry, we're in the final stages of finding boots (at the moment, I'm leaning towards the EMS Summit IIs and my wife is liking a pair of Montrail Torres). :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Different sections of trail have different regulations for pitching your tent. As an example, there are specific requirements for making camp in PA along the PA game lands. These requirements should be in the guidebook associated with the AT maps. In the 10th edition of the PA guide, see pg 29 for the game land regs.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the guides, although some of the ones I've looked at seem like they're almost written for people who already are experienced hikers. I probably just haven't found the right one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle
    It's not clear, but I get the impression you haven't done a lot of hiking, period. If so, I'd recommend you do a few day hikes first. Then, a single nighter.
    Yeah, we're just getting started. You've got to start somewhere, right? I'm hoping to do at least one or two 'day hikes' (aside from our local training) before this weekend trip. But I specifically want to practice hiking out, pitching the tent, and then cleaning it all up again the next morning so I want to avoid place where you're expected to not use your tent in favor of the provided shelter. That's a part of what I was trying to figure out from you guys. What's the point in doing practice hikes if we don't actually get to practice everything we'll need to do, right?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the advice. It's been very helpful, and I have a much better expectation of what I'll find on the trail now.

Ray

PA has some great shelter/camping spots.

Many of the shelters in PA are double and sometimes offer semi-privacy. None kept nicer than Quarry Springs which is a short hike from Caledonia.

Ray, if you decide to stay in a shelter please don't set your tent up in it. I've seen a couple "newbies" (and actually some more experienced hikers) do this and there's nothing more aggravating.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I second Quarry Gap Shelters, just an hour-plus north of Caledonia State Park (don't let the first climb intimidate you--most of this area doesn't compare). Like several along the AT in PA, Quarry is a twin shelter, and meticulously maintained. You'll get spoiled by this one, tho there aren't a whole lot of good places to tent nearby, and in a dry season the spring can be iffy (probably OK for early May).

North of there is the nearly-new Birch Run Shelter. Better tenting opportunities and water sources, too. The hike between Quarry and Birch, once you climb out of Quarry, includes some of the nicest tread in PA.

If this is your first AT backpack, you may want to take it easy and spend one night in the woods, ending the trek about 1.3 mi. north of Birch Run at Shippensburg Rd. instead of going all the way to Pine Grove Furnace. Just a thought. It would still be a 12-mile +/- hike, and quite an accomplishment for your first time out.

Another thought: there is a locked PATC cabin along this stretch--Milesburn Cabin. (Also not too far north of Shippensburg Rd. is another--Michener Cabin.) These are reasonably priced and can be reserved in advance, tho there are some hurdles to jump over. Follow the Cabins link at www.patc.net. I've been to Milesburn and it is a cut above "rustic." Haven't eyeballed the inside of Michener.

Images

Skyline has it Spot on!!! I spend a lot of time in the trail in AT and that area is one of my favorites.

I would also first caution you that if you are getting heavier leather boots (The Summits) you will need more than 2 dayhikes to break them in.

I also recommend that brand spanking new and shellacked Birch Run shelter located just over a mile South of Shippensburg Road.

In fact, for your first time out, I think an easy in and out would be perfect - you have time to check out or play with your gear, adjust your pack and you have a nice shelter and some solitude (ubless a gaggle of boy scouts show up).

The next day You can leisurely pack up, head toward your car, lock your gear in the trunk and go for a nice dayhike N from Shippensburg, or head over to Pine gorve furnace and hike around a bit.

FWIW, I have never been a big advocate for folks brand new to hiking with all new gear, to just head out on some 5-10 mile trail withouth spending a few local nights with their stuff to get the hang of it.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Thanks very much for the tips. It sounds like I should be able to set up the tent nearby the shelters (not in them, of course!) assuming it's not horribly crowded. I'll be satisfied so long as I'm not forced to use the shelter.

I definitely appreciate all the experienced warnings about the difficulties in getting started. My lack of familiarity makes the prospect both exciting and a bit frightening. Your insights on what to expect are very helpful.

Since I don't want to get too 'off topic' here, maybe I'll put forward my overall plan and eventual goal (which is probably pretty ambitious) for critique in another location on the forum where it's more appropriate.

Thanks again!

Ray

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Ray, if you decide to stay in a shelter please don't set your tent up in it. I've seen a couple "newbies" (and actually some more experienced hikers) do this and there's nothing more aggravating.
    Why do people do that?
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

flat spot and bugs. plus they do not know any better. I did not in 1993....
    peace
    mf

Images

I used to maintain some Lean-to's in the Daks and I ran across tents in L/Ts 3 times over the years and then about 3 years ago on the AT just south of Port Clinton. In each case it was women. In 2 of the cases it was raining and they did not want their tent to get wet. In the 3rd case they wanted to keep the bugs out of the shelter. I didn't bother to ask the 2 grls at the AT LT, preferring to move on.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

You could also get on the AT where rt 309 goes over Blue mountain. That's less than an hour from where you live.

Panzer

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Tom's Run Shelter, just south (4 mi) of Pine Grove Furnace, has a lot of good tentsites, as I recall.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

i nice overnight hike (with a late start) or good day hike, is to park on Reservoir Rd. (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org) and head north, take the first blue blaze and follow it. It will take you along the ridge line with good views overlooking palmerton. At the end of the blue blaze trail , just before you descend down the Leroy Smith (i think that its name, can't remember atm) there will be a few camping spots high on the ridge which have views.

just a side note, there isn't any fires permited in this area, so you will need a camp stove.

woops didn't realized the link didn't work .. click on the PA parking link and than click on Section 3 - Lehigh Gap to PA Rt. 309. Reservoir rd. is on the 4th line down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind105
    i nice overnight hike (with a late start) or good day hike, is to park on Reservoir Rd. [...]and head north, take the first blue blaze and follow it. It will take you along the ridge line with good views overlooking palmerton. At the end of the blue blaze trail , just before you descend down the Leroy Smith (i think that its name, can't remember atm) there will be a few camping spots high on the ridge which have views. ....
    Just hiked this stretch today. I don't know where Reservoir Rd is and it is not in you link. Also the Leroy Smith shelter is not in this section. My guess of this description.
    The parking is on the north side of Lehigh Gap. Follow the trail south, along the road across the bridge, and up the hill. After you pass George Outerbridge shelter, there will be a fine campsite on your left at one of PA's distinctive charcoal platforms. Shortly after this campsite, is a blue blazed "north" scenic trail. Follow it to the ridge (Devils Pulpit? I saw a DP painted on the rocks). Once on the ridge, continue to follow the blue blazes almost to a radio tower. The trail goes east (south) to rejoin the AT. Go left, south for 2 miles on the AT past the blue blaze junction to the campsite. Note, the only water on this stretch is 75 yd north of the shelter. (In fact, it is the only natural water I found in the 70 miles from Windsor Furnace to Delaware Water Gap.)
    This is a nice 6 mile semi-loop which may be very busy on spring weekends, but I had a fantastic view all to my self at the shelter last night.
    Rambler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler
    Just hiked this stretch today.
    ... Go left, south for 2 miles on the AT past the blue blaze junction to the campsite. ...Rambler
    Sorry, left is AT North. Back to the campsite and your car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++