WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How far will you go off trail to go to shelter or campsite?

Thread: Just how far?

Default Just how far?

How far are you willing to go to get to a shelter or campsite?

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

30 miles especially if it's rainin' an' the shelter has a t.v. and beer

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Camp away from shelters and established campsites - normally involves walking into the woods about .2 to .3 miles to be out of sight.

Images

I usual hustle to get to shelter so I don't have to pack my tent, but if I do tent, it's within site of the shelter. Unless I'm with someone and we want to be alone which is rare

I usually camp near the shelter, just because of the social aspect and water. The few times I tried to camp off on my own, I was usually not alone as others had the same idea and happened to pick the same location. Guess I need to pick better stealth sites.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Half a mile isn't too bad, unless it's all downhill.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Half a mile isn't too bad, unless it's all downhill.
    Yeah- lot's of people complained about the Sarver Hollow shelter because of this. It's .4 STRAIGHT downhill from the trail. But it is a great location: nice views, a boxed spring , good campsites for hammockers and ground dwellers alike and an old homestead to explore. Not to mention it's 666.0 miles from Springer- makes for good conversation while cooking and getting settled.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    ...it's 666.0 miles from Springer...
    Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Off topic, but the address of my wife's grandfather's church is 666. If I were clergy there, I'd have requested a change. Or maybe just get a PO Box or something...mailing something to a church at 666 Anystreet is kinda creepy.

There's also an apartment building here in Monterey that's 666 Hilby St. I think they're proud of it b/c they have the normal 666 address posted, then a big huge 666 over the doorway...like 24" letters.

But then, some people just don't think about things like this...maybe they never even realized it. My wife's grandfather didn't understand when I commented on the numbers...so I just let it go.
    I would think this would be like so many buildings not having a 13th floor. Superstition might not be real- but why take the chance? To me having that address (666) would be an invitation to demons, etc..or at the very least become the target of cults or the like.

It depends entirely on the weather.

When it's pouring rain out, even half a mile isn't far if you know there's a
    shelter at the end of it, and even if you have to go uphill the next morning to get back to the Trail, it's a small price to pay. The only thing worse than breaking down camp in horrible weather is settitng it up.

I went to the Whitley Gap Shelter in GA in 2000. I believe it's 1.5 miles off the trail. Downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    I went to the Whitley Gap Shelter in GA in 2000. I believe it's 1.5 miles off the trail. Downhill.
    So did I. I woke up in the morning to the rangers doing manuevers, which was kinda cool. I knew about the rangers, but I've always wondered what the reaction would be of someone who didn't know about the rangers in the area -- they'd have to think they were in a war zone or something.

Pigpen aka Frankenfeet 2005 tarbender's Avatar
    Images

Default Blue blazin hiker trash! R good people

Took the 1 mile blue blaze to the Old job shelter. Later that night while reading the shelter register I discovered that there was a sweet blueblaze running south that hooked back up to the AT. Another thru had obviously had maps had been at the shelter via the blue blaze and had logged it. I took the blue blaze and it was marked decent and I did not see another hiker while I was on it. It was kind of pretty back there too. I remember it started out along the creek near the shelter. Blue blazing is not the devil. I think it is a worthy thing to do as long as every instance isn't about saving miles or time. Rainbowblaze the AT!

-jeff aka frankenfeet
    -frankenfeet stomps it flat-

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I would go a lot farther off trail to a shelter at the beginning of my hike than I would later on.

As to exactly how far ...depends on how bad I want to get to the shelter.

Weather and water sources can drive hikers to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbender View Post
    ainbowblaze the AT!
    Uh oh...here we go again....

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Uh oh...here we go again....
    Make that Rainbowblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I would go a lot farther off trail to a shelter at the beginning of my hike than I would later on.

As to exactly how far ...depends on how bad I want to get to the shelter.

Weather and water sources can drive hikers to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

'Slogger
    I was the exact opposite. I wouldn't go more than .25 off the trail at the beginning but wouldn't hesitate to go well over .5 later on. I was looking for the solitude more towards the end.

Images

miles walked to a shelter are bonus miles, that means you can yellow blaze the same mileage at a later date.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

++ New Posts ++