WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Retired military; unlimited access to a gym.

Images

just go do it if you are in reasonably good shape

Images

If some doofus laying down stiff as a board (planking) and having someone take a picture to put on the Internet is a sport... Backpacking definitely qualifies.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

At age 56, 72" tall 200 lbs. First attempt at the AT or any long distance hike. Friday, Saturday, and Monday I just walked without a pack for 4 hours each day. Yesterday I placed 30 pounds in a bag, and walked for about 4 hours. The pack is huge and gets bigger with every mile. I have taken to sleeping on the floor in the basement with the heat turned down, I am also limiting my diet, to the food I plan on having in my pack. Anything else I can add to my training?

Great article. I think that this pre-training vs. hike-yourself-into-shape may also be an age thing. Bottom line: if you are in your 20s, you can probably fake it. If you are in 40+ or carrying some weight, the odds are not in your favour unless you do some pre-training.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

I find this article excellent and just what I need . My physical condition is well >>> PISS POOR <<< . I have an OK from the doctor to go hiking with him saying that I should gauge the strenuous level myself . Of course I am 66 yrs. old and 100 pounds over weight . On top of that I have A-Fib . But I'm also not going to NOT train to the best of my ability . My thoughts were to at least do a section hike on the AT this coming summer . After absorbing this article I have set my goals lower and will spend my time enjoying my hikes and training at the same time . The AT will have to wait until next year .

Gonzo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++