WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Backpackinglight.com

How many of you folks subscribe to this site. I have looked at it before. It seems that unless you are a member you are kept out of some of the discussions and gear reviews. Is it worth the money? I guess it is probably like subscribing to a magazine. You have to decide for yourself.

thanks
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

My first year subscription is about to expire and I plan to renew. I've spent a lot more for a lot less. Like most things, don't set the expectation too high and you won't likely be disappointed.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I'm a member. $25/year gets you access to all the detailed gear/clothing related stuff and some discounts on purchases.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I'm an online and print subscriber. My member discount through the BPL gear store has easily paid off those fees. Besides that, I find the content is pretty much worth it. I plan to renew both.
    -Mark

tideblazer
    Images

Default I'm not

I've checked it out, but I don't get why it deserves the money.
    My pack is as light as I need it.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    I'm an online and print subscriber. My member discount through the BPL gear store has easily paid off those fees. Besides that, I find the content is pretty much worth it. I plan to renew both.
    -Mark
    ==================================
    Mark ...question.

I considered takign the print subscription but couldn't see what I'd be getting that I don't already have on-line.

Is there a big difference ??

Thanks,

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I've subscribed since '02. Useful site - particularly the articles which contain some of the more scientific, objective analyses of gear you can find anywhere. For example: Frameless Backpacks: Engineering Analysis of the Load Carrying Performance of Selected Lightweight Packs
    by Ryan Jordan is a must-read for anyone set on buying a UL pack. He shows why pack systems work and how they fail when they don't work.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I don't think the content is *that* different. I mean, it's the same subject matter so I didn't really expect it. But the treatment is a little different.

The last issue [#3] had articles on snow cave camping, aborigines, backpacking Scotland, the PCT record, and interview with an Adv Racer, a long feature on lightweight paddling, short bits on gear storage and foot care, a GDT photo essay, and a southwestern trip report.

Issue #2 had info about St. Olaf' Way, the JMT record, bushwhacking the NE 770, Andes mountaineering, water treatment, foot care, and a Mt. Ranier photo essay. And a few other bits and pieces.

I can't find #1 at the moment. Anyway, the focus seems to be a bit more towards longer personal narratives and exposition. I think the print version will be marketed more to the 'casual' reader than the UL techie. It's also got some nice photos. Hmm. If you're already an online member, print is only $15 more. For me, that's one less night out, and I'm cool with that.

Note that there is an ongoing thread on the BPL forums about print v. online. Probably somewhere in the 'Chaff' area. Some folks are a bit disappointed with the difference between the two. I'd give those a read for some more opinions.
    -Mark

tideblazer
    Images

Default beware of psuedo-science

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I've subscribed since '02. Useful site - particularly the articles which contain some of the more scientific, objective analyses of gear you can find anywhere. For example: Frameless Backpacks: Engineering Analysis of the Load Carrying Performance of Selected Lightweight Packs
    by Ryan Jordan is a must-read for anyone set on buying a UL pack. He shows why pack systems work and how they fail when they don't work.
    I just looked at the abstract of this. I don't get it. Is this supposed to be science? Scientific studies from people who sell the gear they sell?

I didn't see any methods described in the abstract. It looks like science, but how did they test and what is the hypothesis? How did he test for "significance"?

I don't know how many miles Dr. Jordan has hiked in a frameless pack, but based on my 9,000+ miles with one, I'd say he was a little out of touch on the issue if that is his final analysis.

If you are hiking lightweight, then the distribution across your back and hips is of little consequence. You still carry it on your feet.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

I'm a subscriber and think it's probably worth the money. For the same $25 I would have given any other magazine subscription, I get several articles that deal directly with what I'm interested in and I don't have to put up with off-topic adds. There are some pretty detailed articles and good gear reviews of things that I might actually buy.

And Wook, they review a lot of gear and only sell a little bit - I'm satisfied with my subscription. Although like the threads over there have been saying, the past several months seem to have a lot of articles in the print version and mainly gear reviews online. Lots of complaints about that so they may be addressing it.

And you don't have to be a member to participate in the forums - certain articles are restricted to members, and you get a pretty good discount if you buy from them (I haven't yet).

So it's not the holy grail or anything, but if you have $25 to spend on a magazine subscription it's worth it, IMO.

If I am paying for online content, I will never buy the magazine in addition....why would I?

That's a hot topic at BPL - the online version has different content than the print edition, even though they have the same name.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I have also subscribed to both the on-line and print versions for the past year and will likely renew for the coming 12 months.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I like the online subscription...I'm on my third year. Over the two and half years or so I've probably made back a third or maybe half of the subscription cost through member discounts.

I think the magazine is completely different and it's contents is certainly different. I'm not overwhelmed by its subjects (e.g., I'm just not interested in trips in other other countries) but the mag has enough for me to make me renew. One or two issues I have repeatedly referred to for posts in forums like this one. I think that's part of Ryan's intent...to make the print mag a reference that is kept.

As far as selling gear that is also evaluated... It's always an issue. Do you sell gear that you review and risk the conflict of interest criticism? Do you review first, pronounce it a winner, and then offer it for sale? Or do you not sell what you review and run the criticism risk for not standing behind your words and not putting your money where your mouth is? One thing for sure, there's darn little advertizing online or in the print mag so there's none of that conflict.

Many may find there's nothing for them. That's to be expected. I think readers of all hobbiest mags eventually move beyond the mag's contents if they stick with the hobby. But if they don't read something they run the risk of not keeping up. In backpacking, that could mean not knowing of new materials, new models of gear, new places/trails, etc. As for me, I won't be moving beyond BPL's content anytime soon.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

I subscribe and in fact just renewed. This question has come up before and the answers are pretty much all the same. I'm sure there is an exception, but if you read the responses, generally, those who subscribe like it and renew their subscriptions, and those who never subscribed don't think it is worth the money and can't imagine why anyone would subscribe.

Images

Default forums and owner reviews free

Just to repeat what someone already said, you can register to post on the forums there for free. And that includes reading the owner reviews of equipment.

Default I subscribe online only

One can buy single copies of the magazine and compare them to the on-line subscription(if you are a member) and see for yourself if the print version is worth it. I bought a print mag and it wasn't different enough for me to justify buying both.

I've really enjoyed my online subscription, however, and will renew when the time comes. The site's content is really well written and by my oberservation, well researched, and also independant from any marketing the site might wish to do.

I too have made up my subscription dues in savings on gear that I couldn't have gotten at other shops,(BMW bivy, titanium esbit jobby), and it feels right to me to support a small guy as opposed to the Walmarts of the gear industry.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    it feels right to me to support a small guy as opposed to the Walmarts of the gear industry.
    Lots of cottage industry gear makers out there, making all kinds of hiking gear. It is worth the effort to seek them out. Worth it for you, for them, and for the betterment of the trail.
    Frosty

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Good site ...worth the $25...nice community of cutting edge thinkers active on the forums....no hijacked threads and no bickering....like I said, good site.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default listen to Frosty's point

if it werent for the cottages there would be no HH hammocks
    no Six Moon's Essence, No ULA, no Shires....support them!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++