WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It’s easy to modify the Costco quilt to make a foot box, making it more versatile. I made one for a hiking buddy (Pic). My summer quilt is also DIY made from 5oz Climashield and Hyper D ripstop. It’s the perfect weight and packs small.

I used to carry a 30* bag but it was overkill. If your bag is too warm, you will sweat which then causes you to feel chilled.

0E229C7C-C387-4D49-BA33-8E160D136694.jpeg

Leonidas

I use a 50 degree EE Enigma APEX quilt for late-spring/summer/early fall backpacking in the South. My wife uses the 40 degree version as she sleeps cold. 50 is ~10 oz, the 40 is ~16 oz. Both were under $200 when I bought them.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Until we got to Vermont my wife and I each used a fleece blanket. Back in the day I think we paid $20 per blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I made my own quilt. It is good down to 45F. Can you sew? It's a fairly easy project.
    I CAN sew. I'm not an expert at it, though. I pretty much can reasonably reliably sew a straight line with my sewing machine, and anything more than that should be taken with a grain of salt...

It depends on your budget, but my 11y/o has pretty much outgrown her TNF Tigger bag I think ill be getting her a UGQ bag next. Might be fun letting her pick her favorite colors and should last her a long time.

Ill second what someone else mentioned about the Woobie blanket/poncho liner. It is my go to in the summer. Ive only been in the 60*s with mine and been very comfy (I sleep in tee and running shorts). I suppose in a pinch 2 kids could snuggle under one poncho liner if it gets really cold? They are pretty big, maybe like a queen size comforter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++