WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Not yet, but soon.

I will be ordering one next payday (3/29) & will be testing it a few days in the back yard, with my homemade tarp.

I'll post test results as soon as I can.

If, due to bad weather I can't test outside*, I'll hang in the basement.

*dont have winter hammock gear, yet.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    I will be ordering one next payday (3/29) & will be testing it a few days in the back yard, with my homemade tarp.

I'll post test results as soon as I can.

If, due to bad weather I can't test outside*, I'll hang in the basement.

*dont have winter hammock gear, yet.

Doctari.
    cool,let me know,i may order one latter neo

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Neo,

We have been experimenting with this hammock for two months now...all told about 16 nights out in 25-50 degree weather...reasonable durability...use w/or w/o bug net up...reasonably Light, add a JRB Tarp and the complete shelter is still under 2 lbs... Biker Quilt fits as a one wrap model, no suspension system needed...wide enough to sleep asym, comfortable...good tree friendly straps that are more supple than most strap material....works well as a ground bivi for those who desire this feature...inexpensive...We added The Mosquito hammock it to our site ( see pics) and will bring some to Trail Days for those that want to see and try them... Hope you can make it to TD.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Default Mosquito Hammock

We tried them a couple of months ago. We liked it so well we've picked it up on our web site. I think you'll find it very comfortable, versatile and easy to use.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...%20Hammock.htm
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smee
    We tried them a couple of months ago. We liked it so well we've picked it up on our web site. I think you'll find it very comfortable, versatile and easy to use.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...%20Hammock.htm
    thanks jack,if jacksrbetter sells and uses a product it has to be excellent
    thanks neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    Neo,

We have been experimenting with this hammock for two months now...all told about 16 nights out in 25-50 degree weather...reasonable durability...use w/or w/o bug net up...reasonably Light, add a JRB Tarp and the complete shelter is still under 2 lbs... Biker Quilt fits as a one wrap model, no suspension system needed...wide enough to sleep asym, comfortable...good tree friendly straps that are more supple than most strap material....works well as a ground bivi for those who desire this feature...inexpensive...We added The Mosquito hammock it to our site ( see pics) and will bring some to Trail Days for those that want to see and try them... Hope you can make it to TD.

Pan
    is the bug net completey removable jack,great pics neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    Neo,

Pan
    which do ya like better jack,your hennessey hammock or the mosquito hammock as far as comfort,price,useabilty,compact size,durability,versatility
    i respect your knowledge of hammocking very much neo

Images

Aloha Peter_Pan and Smee,
    Wow I am so happy you are putting those hammocks on your website.
    These are made the same as my Siam one...but for some reason it has a bad rep...well almost the same in all including the support rope/webbing...just minus the poles...so therefore a must better improvement.

I was going more for the Expedition one when I am due for a replacement.
    Being the Siam also has the double lining ( polyester) I do find very comfortable and easy to move around and toss and turn

I am curious, have you two also tested the Jungle and Expediton ones?
    We do look forward to your opinions and judgement here as most can attest too

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Question Another One To Try?

Just found this cheap hammock, Byer Moskito Traveller for $19.95 at:

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/bymotrha.html

Ordered one because it was cheap enough to see if I liked hammok hanging or not. If all goes well I can then move up to a better hammok. If anyone else has tried this please let me know. I tried hammok camping twenty years ago on the AT and a few other places with one of those little cheap string hammoks that roll up into a ball and a plastic fly. The best I remember it worked fine except on some cool nights. I had no insulation pad and only a GI poncho liner for cover. (I stayed safe and dry in it once through a tornado that passed up the river by our campsite). These old bones sure could use a more comfortable nights sleep than on the ground.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Neo,

The bug net is not removable...just flip it over and it is out of the way.

Hana Hanger,

We have not tested the other models that you mention...the Expedition is supposed to be the same as the Mosquito except that it has a loop inside the bug net to hang things from, it also has a pouch or bag inside and the netting is No seeum vs the lighter netting on the mosquito...price goes up about $30 also. The junge Hammock is larger and considerably heavier, a lot of the weight is in the fly...( search the archives I believe someone posted some comments on this jungle hammock some time back).

We felt like the Mosquito was a good laying hammock, more flexible than a HH, though not as roomy, just as light, and a good value at a very reasonable price.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

i am ordering a pair of these tommorrow,1 for me,and 1 for my wife neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

70.00 buck each when ya order 2,they have a double bottom
    also neo

Default mosquito hammock

I haven't used the mosquito hammock, but I did buy their rain fly last summer. I wouldn't recommend it. It was untreated nylon and not only wasn't waterproof, it wasn't even very water resistant. I should have known better than to buy it since the listed weight (16oz) should have told me that it couldn't have had any treatment applied. It also had a longitudinal seam that was not along the centerline of the tarp.

Chowhound

Quote Originally Posted by chowhound
    ...the listed weight (16oz) should have told me that it couldn't have had any treatment applied...
    ???

The stock HH is about 7 oz, and it's waterproof. The MacCat Micro is 7.4 oz, waterproof. The JRB 8x8 is 9.4 oz, waterproof. Ed Speers 8x10 and the Campmor one are both 13 oz and waterproof.

I follow on the untreated nylon not being waterproof, but I'm not sure why you say the weight implies not waterproof.

Default Mosquito hammock tarp

I guess I should have been clearer. The material is listed as nylon taffeta, it is not silnylon, or even a light weight ripstop. Since most 8' X 10' silnylon tarps are in the 15 oz range I should have realized that something wasn't quite right. In all fairness, I may have gotten a mistake. It was so cheap ($25) that it wasn't worth the aggravation and postage to send it back, especially since I had a use for the nylon.

Chowhound

I have the Mosquito Expedition and am very pleased with it. Quality od construction is very good. Ykk zippers, good ropes, good stitching. Big enough to be comfortable for me (6'1, 215 lbs). Packs small and blaze orange stuff sack is impossible to lose.

I have a Hennessy, an Exped Scout hammock, and a Nomad Medical Tropical hammock (sold by Brigade Quartermasters).

The mosquito is the one I use. Try it. You'll like it. Cheaper than a Hennessy and no acrobatics trying to get in and out with a pad. Built bigger and better than any of the pocket hammocks.
    Why not go to war just for oil? We need oil. How do Hollywood celebrities think their cocaine is delivered to them? :)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTrapper
    I have the Mosquito Expedition and am very pleased with it. Quality od construction is very good. Ykk zippers, good ropes, good stitching. Big enough to be comfortable for me (6'1, 215 lbs). Packs small and blaze orange stuff sack is impossible to lose.

I have a Hennessy, an Exped Scout hammock, and a Nomad Medical Tropical hammock (sold by Brigade Quartermasters).

The mosquito is the one I use. Try it. You'll like it. Cheaper than a Hennessy and no acrobatics trying to get in and out with a pad. Built bigger and better than any of the pocket hammocks.
    i ordered two of them several days ago,should get them in a few days or so neo

BT,

I see from their web site that these hammocks have a double bottom, between the layers of which one may put a pad. How does this affect the tendency of full-length pads to buckle in the middle?
    "Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer." - John Muir

++ New Posts ++