WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear questions for January section in GA

Hi all - very average skilled section hiker here who is also 51. I am going to attempt first winter hike in January from approach trail to Neels Gap. Could you please share your thoughts on the additional items that I might add on to my usual nice weather backpacking? I have a good sleeping bag rated for zero weather, waterproof gloves, hand/feet warmers, headlamp and warmer clothing.

BTW I also found this crazy foldable cooking pot I'm going to try...a real space saver if it works: (Bear Bones Bear Bowl Camping Cookware Pot). Anyone try it yet? Also, is the Forest Road up to Spring open always or does it shut down if a bad snow occurs?

Thanks for feedback. I'm having wanderlust and can't wait until Spring.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A few things I add for cold weather hiking:
    - micro-spikes - even if it's pleasant, the trails are often icy, esp. in the morning
    - down pants for camp
    - extra bottom insulation, such as a torso-length ccf pad to supplement your usual pad
    - extra fuel so you can have extra hot drinks (cocoa really warms the core)
    - a book! I don't usually carry a book in the summer, but winter nights are long, so some entertainment is helpful
    - a down hood and/or a balaclava. when temps get into the 20's or lower, my nose gets cold enough to keep me awake - wicked cold!

Default Gear questions for January section in GA

I would wait on final gear selection until 10 days out...weather could be stupid warm or really cold. welcome to GA.

Images

Yeah, I've hiked in GA in January in 70 degree weather, and also when the highs were barely in double digits.

I would want a cold weather sleeping pad to go with my winter bag - lots of heat gets lost under your body. A simple full length RidgeRest would be fine, and put the 3-season inflatable on top of it. Also I might want a four season tent, depending on the forecast. Lots of heat gets lost out the sides of most tarp tent type shelters, and the wind tends to blow right through them. I'd want a stove that functions 100% in cold weather, and I don't know that I'd experiment with a pot. Hot meals and drinks can be a lifesaver in the winter.

Hope you have a great trip!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++