WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Hampshire section recommendations

I will be traveling through New Hampshire in July/August this summer and will appreciate any recommendations for a 20-35 mile section. I'm assuming I can find a good section in the Whites, although my limitations (under 35 miles) might hinder me from exploring some of the classic sections. Thank you for your thoughts.

There are lots of trails in NH whites that you can link up and do loops or variations to get 35 miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Its very busy time of the year. Do you need a loop or do you need or have a shuttle?. Are you stuck on the AT or just NH in general?.

The Pemi loop is 31 miles, you would consider stayng in an AMC hut ($$). Its best done during the week and plan on crowded accommodations.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-22-2022 at 12:01.

Images

Are you looking for straight AT sections or loop hikes using other trails? As peakbagger noted above, the Pemi Loop is a great hike. Here's some more info on it at https://goeast.ems.com/alpha-guide-pemigewasset-loop/ The Whites and surrounding areas have an extensive network of trails. Get the AMC's White Mountain Guide for planning. For straight AT sections starting at one trail head and finishing at another, NH is best broken up as follows, with most of these sections doable as 3 day hikes, or perhaps 2 days for those in top physical condition.

Hanover to Glencliff - 43 miles: The easiest part of the AT in NH. Largely moderate forested terrain at lower elevations. Multiple shelter and camping options.

Glencliff, NH to Franconia Notch - 26 miles: The beginning of the Whites, first above tree line sections with summits of Moosilauke and the Kinsmans, and from here on many campsites have a caretaker and fee. If 3 days, 2 nights. Beaver Brook and Kinsman Pond shelters break it up well.

Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch - 28 miles: The Franconia Ridge. A mix of above tree line and other terrain. Multiple shelter, camp and AMC hut options. It can be (very) crowded until past Mt Lafayette.

Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch - 26 miles: The Presidential traverse, most of it above tree line. AMC Hut stays ($$$) pretty much required due to logistics. I prefer this hike SOBO. Day 1: Pinkham to Madison Spring hut, 7.8 miles pretty much all uphill. Day 2: Madison Spring hut to Lake of the Clouds hut, above tree line, 7.1 miles of rock trail and ups and downs especially if you lengthen it with summit/side trails to Mt Washington, Adams, etc. Day 3: Lake of the Clouds to Crawford Notch 11.1 miles, a long day, but significantly downhill. Only do this hike in a reasonable 3 day weather window.

Pinkham Notch to Gorham, NH - 21 miles: Wildcat, Carters and Mt Moriah. Tough climb up Wildcat (many will tell you to simply NOT SOBO this descent, especially in wet weather) Many thru-hikers slackpack this section in a day. Mortals stay at Carter Hut, Imp campsite or stealth.

Gorham to Grafton Notch (Maine) - 31 miles: Another very difficult section including Mahoosuc Notch.

Unless you're in trail hardened shape, once past Glencliff, figure on only doing 1/2 to 3/4 the miles per day you would do hiking elsewhere. Expect and have cold/bad weather gear even in mid-summer, hats, gloves, wind and rain wear, etc. Camping places are limited due to both regulations and steepness/rockiness of terrain. Have good footwear, as the trail in NH is both rocky and steep, and can be very slippery. Water is scarce to none once up on the ridges (consider this if "stealthing"/dry camping). Ground transport is pretty much some very, VERY, limited service via AMC shuttles, and hitchhiking (usually not a problem, thumb it or befriend a day hiker. Local folks are used to hikers.). If doing multiple sections, resupply requires rides almost everywhere except Gorham.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-21-2022 at 20:35.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

4eyedbuzzard, thank you for the information. This is a great "local knowledge" for me inasmuch as I've not hiked the Whites. Great options to begin to researching. All of my AT experience has been GA, TN, NC and VA so NH is obviously quite different and I'm particularly wary of the challenges in terrain and weather. Also, I don't know too much about the AMC huts. I've always tented, never sheltered on the AT and it sounds as though campsites may be limited.

Peakbagger. I am not limiting my plans to the AT, it just what I'm accustomed to. I have actually read a bit about the Pemi Loop and it sounds great. It's a definite possibility! Thanks very much to you both!

Whatever your plan, if its north of Glencliff cut your typical daily miles by at least a third. The footing is far rougher than most of the AT. Many of the trail predate the AT and the topsoil is thin so the rocks and roots are left when everything else washes away. In many case the trails have been "paved" with rocks to avoid them being a mud pit. There are some valley trails left over from the logging era that are remarkable straight and easy but they are the exception. If you want less crowds, part of the White Mountain National Forest is in Maine (called the Evans Notch region). The mountains are a bit shorter but far fewer folks on the trails and loop hikes are possible.

The Pemi loop is spectacular but very crowded all summer into fall. The AMC runs staffed "huts Greenleaf and Galehead (require reservations well in advance and are not cheap) and also manages shelter sites at Garfield, Guyot and a tentsite at Liberty Spring, they are first come first served and the caretakers pack folks in tight due to the demand.

Similar question so I'll add on to this thread if that's ok. I'm looking to continue northbound from Killington, VT (where I ended my section hike early June of 2021). If I was to do another 2-3 weeks northbound this summer, what would be the best months for me. In my last section hike (Kent, CT - Killington,VT) I averaged 13-18 miles per day and I hear I'll only be able to do about half that mileage (and I'm not getting younger!). Trails in VT were still pretty muddy even after Memorial Day last year. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this section!

I would wait until July and let the trails dry up, black flies will be gone and mosquitoes will only be around at dusk. 2 to 3 weeks from Killington puts you in but not out of the whites.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I would wait until July and let the trails dry up, black flies will be gone and mosquitoes will only be around at dusk. 2 to 3 weeks from Killington puts you in but not out of the whites.

Thanks Peakbagger! That is very helpful What is the latest I should plan to end my hike (I know mid October is about when Baxter State Park closes).

Some but not all of the AMC huts are usually (pre covid) open for caretaker basis until October 1st. IMHO, its pushing it unless you want to haul a lot of cold weather gear to be on the tail after OCT1st. September is the best month in NH, the trails empty out a bit once the kids are back in school.

++ New Posts ++