WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Breakfast drinks

Interested to hear about what you like for morning meal drinks, especially in winter temps.

I most often enjoy tea while I eat oatmeal, but sometimes wonder what a good alternative would be if I'm wanting to get going a little earlier. I hear some people like Carnation Instant Breakfast, but isn't that mostly sugar? What kind of mixes have some of you concocted?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Chocolate whey protein, Nido and hot or cold water.

Coffee with powdered coconut creamer

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A hot mocha drink (or cold in the summer) of Carnation instant breakfast (powdered milk, 19grams sugar, cocoa and vitamins - roughly the same as a pop-tart), with instant coffee mixed in. I don't worry too much about the sugar when hiking, and I don't chow on candy or Snickers during the day.

It's a bit pricey but Greenbelly makes a powder they call Mud Meal that doesn't contain a lot of sugar but does pack a lot of calories. I've tried it as a lunch supplement this past week on a short trip, but I imagine it could mix just as well with coffee in the morning. Vanilla is the only flavor I've tried so far, and it was good enough that I'll order again and probably see what other flavors are available.

Equal dry parts, 30 grams/1 ounce:
    Isolate whey protein (Zero carbs)
    Breakfast Essentials (formerly Instant Breakfast)
    Nido Dry Whole Milk Powder
    Individual servings in Ziploc Snack or sandwich bags. Whatever is in the kitchen. 😄
    Add Individual Serving of Instant Cafe Bustelo coffee as needed.
    8 ounces of water in a blender bottle. Shake. Drink.
    All of the above can be found at Walmart.
    Wayne

Thanks for your recipes -- I'm futzing around with an experiment that essentially takes your ideas and mixes them with some oatmeal powder (literally quick oats ground to a powder in my blender), hoping to increase the calories along with the nutrition benefits of the oats, so that I can call it a meal and go.

1 cup quick oats, powdered
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    2 pkgs Instant Breakfast (chocolate)
    8 scoops Nido
    2 pkgs Folgers instant coffee

Mixed together; divided into two portions.

If Ive done my math right, each portion contains 515 calories (12.5g fat, 67g carbs, 33g protein) Weight per portion (in a ziplock bag) is 5.99oz.

Definitely not the ideal calorie to weight ratio, but it would be a meal-to-go....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

sounds palatable if it's the right consistency, which might depend on your individual taste. Mocha-oat pudding anyone?

True! And I think I'll have to remember to swish it clean right away, or it will be Cement-in-a-Cup. But that will at least make me drink that much more water....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I aquired a morning routine to break tent and start off hiking immediately.
    Later in the day, as soon as the sun is up and I'd find a nice spot with a view, I would get my breakfast which might be more like a brunch.
    My favorite drink is a big cup of Capuccino (instant powder C.), plus some cookies as a dessert.

I've been thinking about trying some chia seed breakfast recipes. anyone have any good ones?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Tang. W/hot water on the cooler mornings.

27 g carbs to get only 5 g protein? Ingredients are mainly highly processed milk, GMO corn, and white sugar. It's up to you, but I would avoid it because of the huge insulin spike, followed by hypoglycemic hunger. Over time, your blood sugar management will suffer because your pancreas can only take so much abuse.

We have only coffee for breakfast, go hiking, and then stop at about 10 am for some hard boiled eggs, cheese, and beef jerky.

Ingredients

NONFAT MILK, MALTODEXTRIN, SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, LACTOSE, VITAMINS AND MINERALS‡, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT

Hot coffee or hot chocolate with Nido powdered whole milk would be winners for me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

"Especially in winter temps" means my morning beverage has to be hot---and if really cold outside I pour the whole pot of liquid into my nalgene bottle and place it inside my down parka's chest pocket.

My current fave are these coffee beans ground up at home and ziplocked and brewed in camp with added honey and powdered soymilk. Excellent hot or later cold on the trail.
    b62dd526-245c-4df6-8eea-d8e7d05c0b2a_1.c339706e851da68db24b5c3f49fc5605.jpeg

Another good option is to make an "Oat Beverage" with a liter of water brought to a boil with minimal oatmeal (4 teaspoons) with added salt and olive oil and either honey or powdered maple syrup---and slurped while packing up on a cold morning.

Just plain coffee, sometimes hot sometimes cold. Maybe some day Monster Ultra Sunrise will be in powder form, that would make it into my drink kit asap.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

++ New Posts ++