WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I try to keep lunch a non-cooked meal. I make up individual baggies with different varieties of single-serve snack items. I love Nature's Bakery fig bars in various flavors, meat bars or sticks, nut butter packets, dried fruit packets, single-serve nut packets (especially pistachios), and candies.

Quote Originally Posted by maremieisen View Post
    I think that making sure you get enough fat in your diet is pretty crucial to good health, especially on the trail, because our society is so improperly fearful of fats, and because fats can be a bit messy to manage on the trail. My solution is ghee (clarified butter), which in recent years has become much more available in stores, and if you can source it, non-hydrogenated lard. Yes, lard. Pork fat is delicious and incredibly versatile. Fatworks and Epic sell non-hydrogenated lard, though it's a bit pricey. Nalgene jars are leak-proof. Also, individual packets of nut butters, and whole milk powder.

I don't think you necessarily need to avoid "carbs", per se, but you do want to be conscious of not eating too many refined carbs that have no fiber or other nutrients other than carbohydate and protein, like white flour.

TVP and dehydrated or freeze-dried vegetables can go a long way toward bulking up meals and adding nutrition. They are quick to cook and easy to carry.
    I have no fear of eating fat. I eat pretty high fat now. Low carb. moderate protein. When I get cravings it's usually for more fat and I am not afraid to eat some butter, just butter, to satisfy the craving.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++