WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Update on Doyle Hotel renovations?

Hi, I heard a little while back that the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon PA was under new ownership and is now being renovated.

I haven't been there in a few years. The last time I was there it was still a real dive hotel and in really dilapidated condition.

Anyone stayed there recently, or know what stage the renovations are at now? Are there any photos of the renovations?

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

I passed by it last fall and it looks like it is a dive no longer, at least from the outside looking in. Their food menu is much more upscale and not priced for the budget-minded hiker. I don't know what they're getting for a room. I stayed at the outfitter's hostel right down the street for $15 a night.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I passed by it last fall and it looks like it is a dive no longer, at least from the outside looking in. Their food menu is much more upscale and not priced for the budget-minded hiker. I don't know what they're getting for a room. I stayed at the outfitter's hostel right down the street for $15 a night.
    Someone on another thread reported $75 for a room, including tax, last May.

The bar is all snazzed up now. Definitely nicer upstairs now, but work still in progress.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The Doyle is back up and running with new owners. I have not been there yet since the change of ownership but was watching the renovation progress on their Facebook page. They now have some rooms with private bath that are more expensive, And if I recall they still have 1 to 2 floors of what they call hiker rooms which have the same shared bath however the bathrooms have also been renovated and it is now possible to take a shower and get cleaner than you were before. From what I've seen on Facebook the ballroom has been renovated, part of it may now be a sports bar, and they frequently have live music. If you happen to remember the annual Billville event there the (the winter warmer), that is continuing and will be held in early March.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

When stayed there in 2015 tough decision of if I should sleep in my camp clothes or my hiking clothes.

++ New Posts ++