WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT hiker trend

Default AT hiker trend

I was bouncing around the Georgia section of the AT this weekend and in talking to hikers, ridge runners, and others close to the trail community it looks like the numbers of thru hikers will be down this year by about 20%; I have also heard that in general the hikers seem on average to be older than in years past. I am not sure how the pandemic recovery, economic turmoil with inflation, or maybe even the ability work remote has impacted the draw to hike the AT.

Interesting observation - thanks for sharing! I plan on flip-flopping this year and I suspect I will be considered "older" : ) Less overall crowds is something I usually appreciate!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I started a thread on VFTT regarding my observations that I see less folks on the trails in the whites compared to the last two Covid years. Its strictly subjective since I do not have any numbers, but I think a lot of folks lives were thronw up in the air due to Covid and its going to take a while for things to settle out.

maybe the 40% excess deaths last year has something to do with it...

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I started a thread on VFTT regarding my observations that I see less folks on the trails in the whites compared to the last two Covid years. Its strictly subjective since I do not have any numbers, but I think a lot of folks lives were thronw up in the air due to Covid and its going to take a while for things to settle out.
    so many acronyms these days... what's vftt? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    so many acronyms these days... what's vftt? thanks!
    https://www.vftt.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I was bouncing around the Georgia section of the AT this weekend and in talking to hikers, ridge runners, and others close to the trail community it looks like the numbers of thru hikers will be down this year by about 20%; I have also heard that in general the hikers seem on average to be older than in years past. I am not sure how the pandemic recovery, economic turmoil with inflation, or maybe even the ability work remote has impacted the draw to hike the AT.
    A lot of the hiker impact with respect to the Appalachian Trail is financial. During the pandemic people lost jobs, some were unable to obtain preventive and/or treatment for illnesses that diminished their physical ability along with their bank accounts. I know several people who, if the pandemic had not occurred would be on a thru hike. However, they do not have the financial ability to nor the work leave liberty to take a 6-month vacation. Few if any employers can afford to let people take several months off and would have to hire replacements, putting the hiker out of work without a guarantee of robust job market to come back to. Security starts and ends with the financial platform one has to operate from.

I think the reason we see more seniors on the trail is there are more retired seniors. The pandemic made it difficult for people of age and co-morbidities to remain in a work environment. A lot of people took early retirement and hunkered down until recently. I suspect we will see an overall declined population, especially in the younger population, on thru hikes for a few years until people build back their ability to take the time off to do the trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Hiker registrations on the ATC website reflect about a 20% reduction compared to last year.

https://atcamp.org/atthruhikerreports.cfm

Just think of the numbers on the PCT this year

When I came to Georgia in 1979, the population was under 5 million people. Today it's more than 10 million. Most of the growth was in North Georgia, where there's good access to the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I've been hiking there since 1983, and as best I can, use there is about the same as it was 40 years ago. Despite a burgeoning population, outdoor recreation of "our type" doesn't seem to be keeping pace. Why? In this electronic age, people prefer staying closer to home and spend far more time with electronics. That, in turn, has changed lifestyles, to a more sedentary form. Also, people are less familiar with the woods and therefore less comfortable there. In the 1980s, hunting and fishing were more popular than they are today. It is much less common to see people doing those activities in the Cohuttas.

A small percentage of the population loves extreme outdoors activities like backpacking, but it's very small.

Ten years ago, the AT community was worried that the "Walk in the Woods" movie would drive up AT use. There was a bump, but not much of one.

AT use in some areas, especially proximate to the major urban centers, may be up somewhat. But it's not keeping pace with population growth. Young folks (except for a small percentage) are opting out, just like most have transitioned from the written word to digital products.

Update: Fact-checking myself belatedly, Georgia's population in 1979 was more than 5 million (not 4). Also, "A Walk in the Woods" came out eight years ago (2015), not ten.

You are exactly right, ATC is saying 24-27 percent swon via an employee. Lack of WiFi, outrageously overpriced Chinese made gear, bear/mice issues are all part of it. The appeal is absent for the new incoming trekkers. The dirty word for today around the Pentagon is 'draft.' Recruiters are in a struggle to meet quotas, not even close to the minimum requirement. My children don't want to be anywhere there is no WiFi. I was told from a career marine that the lack of WiFi was the main reason for his comrades getting out. No hostel/shuttle, FarOut, battery recharge,YouTube, whatever.

Images

That makes sense. The number of hikers increased artificially the past 2 years due to the pandemic, because hiking is a "safe" outdoor activity. Now that the pandemic has faded into the background, a lot of folks are switching back to more traditional vacations.

Hopefully this means the number of rescues required for unprepared hikers will also decrease.

Images

Well, 4 to 7 years ago a gallon of milk at my grocery store averaged $2 now over $5.
    Granola bars about a buck, now over $4 and smaller.
    Used to bounce boxes affordable, now most college kids would have to take a loan for a bounce box. I'm not checking rental car prices and travel expenses to north Georgia area these days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    When I came to Georgia in 1979, the population was under 5 million people. Today it's more than 10 million. Most of the growth was in North Georgia, where there's good access to the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I've been hiking there since 1983, and as best I can, use there is about the same as it was 40 years ago. Despite a burgeoning population, outdoor recreation of "our type" doesn't seem to be keeping pace. Why? In this electronic age, people prefer staying closer to home and spend far more time with electronics. That, in turn, has changed lifestyles, to a more sedentary form. Also, people are less familiar with the woods and therefore less comfortable there. In the 1980s, hunting and fishing were more popular than they are today. It is much less common to see people doing those activities in the Cohuttas.

A small percentage of the population loves extreme outdoors activities like backpacking, but it's very small.

Ten years ago, the AT community was worried that the "Walk in the Woods" movie would drive up AT use. There was a bump, but not much of one.

AT use in some areas, especially proximate to the major urban centers, may be up somewhat. But it's not keeping pace with population growth. Young folks (except for a small percentage) are opting out, just like most have transitioned from the written word to digital products.
    I suspect you're on to something. When we were young, we played outside with other kids in the neighborhood. Nowadays, even if we wanted to force our kids to play out side, they'd have to deal with the fact that other kids in the neighborhood are inside on their iphones. Lots of other things are losing ground due to our changing culture (e.g. MLB viewership).

It was already a small percentage of people who'd choose to spend multi-nights on the AT for fun. In more recent times, it seems likely that a smaller percentage of young people will make this unusual choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    maybe the 40% excess deaths last year has something to do with it...
    40% of hikers died last year?!?! Man that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post

It was already a small percentage of people who'd choose to spend multi-nights on the AT for fun. In more recent times, it seems likely that a smaller percentage of young people will make this unusual choice.
    Keep in mind that there are also just fewer young folk, as percent of the population. Glad I took my kids when they were teens—my younger daughter wants to do about 10 days this summer. I am lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    40% of hikers died last year?!?! Man that sucks.
    Yep, that is enough to scare me off the trail too at my age.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Yep, that is enough to scare me off the trail too at my age.
    I think you read that wrong.
    It is 40% of the Entire world's population died.
    You have to consider statistics and per capita my man... not just the per capita of hikers attempting to just walk 2,2oo miles in an entire whole year.

I don’t know where 40% idea comes from?
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++