WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pinkham Notch north to Katahdin (a few questions)

Starting another section hike north in July from Pinkham Notch and Carter Notch Hut is not far enough (and expensive) but the Imp Campsite (13 miles from Pinkham Notch) seems aggressive for first day back on trail. Any other options that would be recommended?

Would you recommend slackpacking Mahoosuc Notch instead of carrying our packs? Hiked Pinkham Notch south thru Whites to Killington last year and understand the 1st 100 miles in Maine is pretty tough.

Also looking for a recommendation for a food cache in 100 Mile Wilderness. This company comes up when I search https://appalachiantrailhostel.com/hiker-services as one option.

I once did a 3 day/2 night backpack from Pinkham Notch to Gorham. I hiked up the AT and once I reached the Nineteen Mile Brook trail I hiked down it until I found a small flat place off that trail (and behind a large boulder) to set up my tent for the night. The next day I hiked back to the AT and over to Imp. The third day I tagged Moriah and left the AT and went down to Gorham. I think you are right that without your trail legs going all the way to Imp on the first day would be a lot.

I'm sure that Mahoosuc Notch (and the the climb after it up the Arm) would be more fun with a slackpack rather than a full pack but then you'd miss out on camping at Speck Pond which I enjoyed. If you have the time I thought the short hike off the AT over to Old Speck Mountain fire tower was worth it.

I have no experience with the 100 Mile Wilderness (yet) so I can't help you there. Hope this info was helpful. I'm sure others with more NH/ME experience than me will chime in!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Dayhiking options for Mahoosuc Notch are not great unless you like it so much you want to do it twice (up and down using the Notch Trail from Success Pond Road which is an expensive shuttle. There is very large group of tentsites at the end of Mahoosuc Notch just before heading up Mahoosuc Arm. Therefore you could so short mileage day and stay at Full Goose the night before and then go do the Notch. Mahoosuc Arm is quite steep and after doing thes Notch it really makes for a long day. Thru hikers motor through it as its just a warm up for Western Maine, land of steep ups and downs and do Full Goose to Speck Pond (As noted Speck Pond is real nice shelter and location. A dry camping spot past Speck Pond is at the base of the fire tower (worth the short detour).

Options for camping are not great Pinkham to Gorham except established campsites. Since the trail runs on top of very narrow ridge water sources are the problem. There are dry sites here and there but that means hauling water up. If you drop down off the ridge on a side trail you usually can find water but finding a flat spot is another story. I find the west side of the ridge is usually the best shot but in most cases you lose a lot of elevation. Many thruhikers do a one day hike from Pinkham to Gorham as a slackpack but need a day to recover.

This is the best info for Baxter and to lesser extent the 100MW. https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/201...hdin-for-2018/ (note its updated to 2023)

Shaws in Monson does food drops and the link you posted also does them. Its a pretty well established business.

Many thru hiker think most of the effort is behind them when they leave Gorham, its major surprise to many that western Maine all the way to the Long Falls Dam Road (east of the Bigelows), is a lot daily elevation changes usually with zero swtichbacks. There are even a few iron bars drilled into rocks in places to climb very steep rock faces.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    i once did a 3 day/2 night backpack from pinkham notch to gorham. I hiked up the at and once i reached the nineteen mile brook trail i hiked down it until i found a small flat place off that trail (and behind a large boulder) to set up my tent for the night. The next day i hiked back to the at and over to imp. The third day i tagged moriah and left the at and went down to gorham. I think you are right that without your trail legs going all the way to imp on the first day would be a lot.

I'm sure that mahoosuc notch (and the the climb after it up the arm) would be more fun with a slackpack rather than a full pack but then you'd miss out on camping at speck pond which i enjoyed. If you have the time i thought the short hike off the at over to old speck mountain fire tower was worth it.

I have no experience with the 100 mile wilderness (yet) so i can't help you there. Hope this info was helpful. I'm sure others with more nh/me experience than me will chime in!

thanks for your response! Wedding walker

Thanks everyone for their responses on these questions - very helpful!

Hello from Evanston. All hail the flatlanders!

I went thru in 2021, SOBO. Maine was good training for the Whites, and I’d say vice versa.

Pinkham to Carter Notch is short, but the climb up Wildcat D is pretty daunting, it was scary the other way. I stayed at the hut, it was nice and cozy. The slope down to Carter Notch was nowhere near as tough as Wildcat.

If you go past that, the climb up Carter is pretty tough too.

After that however, it’s relatively easy to Imp. Farout does indicate some stealth spots on South Carter, and Zeta Pass has water about a mile before…sometimes. If you decided to gamble on it and it was dry, you’d pretty much have to go 4 more miles to Imp, but again pretty easy miles.

For 100 mile food drop headed northbound, I would use Shaw’s in Monson. You can roll into Monson with an empty food bag and restock there, Shaw’s has an awesome resupply selection. All the freeze dried, mashed potatoes, ramen and bars.

The Maine Roadhouse in Stratton is a pretty awesome hostel. I was their 4th guest and 2nd Guthooks reviewer; it was just my 3rd hostel. I had no perspective then, but now can say it was the best. The Taj Mahal of hostels.

Sure. Also, no need to slack pack Mahoosuc Notch. It’s more mentally challenging than physically. Like a puzzle. Headed NOBO there is a pretty nice camp site just after, if you hit it end of day.

++ New Posts ++