WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default WhiteBlaze.net ON LIFE SUPPORT? Much Needed Makeover? Who's the Healthcare Proxy?

I've noticed that this site seems to be slowly dying and on life support. Has anyone thought about a makeover for this website? WhiteBlaze seems extremely outdated and bland like plain oatmeal. As much as I enjoy sharing as a "new" member, I'm not sure if I feel motivated to continue writing.

Who's currently running the site and what century were they born in? Is it time to pass the baton to new blood in hopes of preserving this valuable resource?

This site has so much potential, but it seems like it's becoming stagnant water in a cow trough that no one dares to filter.

Also, what's the motivation for experienced hikers and backpackers to share their knowledge on this site without an incentive other than a random crass comment by an uncouth troller who has possibly never hiked a day in their life?

Something seems wrong with the site's current model and overall structure. I'm sure it works for the few who actually run this site (or does it?), but it feels like it was written in Fortran.

I'm just being completely honest here and I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking this. Who's ready to step up to the plate and revamp this site?
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

You joined yesterday.

Sit down and be quiet.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I love Whiteblaze because there is *always* something to learn, and everyone can contribute. Yet I'm not sure what was contributed here with this question....?

Generally, if I don't like a restaurant because they serve stale food that I don't like, I just find someplace else to go. Perhaps you might find that strategy useful?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

And actually, I like plain oatmeal.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If this is your concept of "sharing", I'm ok if you don't feel motivated to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by High-Milage Hiker View Post
    I've noticed that this site seems to be slowly dying and on life support. Has anyone thought about a makeover for this website? . . . Who's ready to step up to the plate and revamp this site?
    First off, welcome to whiteblaze. There are other threads about this but I think a lot of younger AT hikers gravitate to Facebook groups and its a shame because there is a lot of great information and experienced backpackers on this site.

I'm hoping you didn't mean to attack whiteblaze, as you can see it has some staunch defenders! Do you have constructive ideas on ways the website can improve? Are you offering to personally help?

Personally I've learned a ton from this website over the years as it is, but even a great resource can be improved I'm sure.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

You are certainly welcome to create your own website. Many WB contributors have been around for a very long time. There is far more to a long distance trail than blogs and personal fundraisers. You know where to go for those.

Quote Originally Posted by High-Milage Hiker View Post
    I've noticed that this site seems to be slowly dying and on life support. Has anyone thought about a makeover for this website? WhiteBlaze seems extremely outdated and bland like plain oatmeal. As much as I enjoy sharing as a "new" member, I'm not sure if I feel motivated to continue writing.

Who's currently running the site and what century were they born in? Is it time to pass the baton to new blood in hopes of preserving this valuable resource?

This site has so much potential, but it seems like it's becoming stagnant water in a cow trough that no one dares to filter.

Also, what's the motivation for experienced hikers and backpackers to share their knowledge on this site without an incentive other than a random crass comment by an uncouth troller who has possibly never hiked a day in their life?

Something seems wrong with the site's current model and overall structure. I'm sure it works for the few who actually run this site (or does it?), but it feels like it was written in Fortran.

I'm just being completely honest here and I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking this. Who's ready to step up to the plate and revamp this site?
    I've noticed that you just joined 6 weeks ago and racked up 37 posts, and that you have said that you have been reading the site for a "dacade" which I will assume you mean ten years. You seem garralous in my view so far given how slow you judge the site. Your rate of posting would put you over 300 posts a year, which times a "dacade" you are about 3000 posts shy of having contributed of yourself to the site. That is something that a good many people have done over the years, and in doing so, they have built up a wealth of knowledge about the AT and backpacking in general--all information that you simply consumed. Thirty-seven posts and suddenly you are calling out to revamp the site completely Puh-lease! Honestly you don't strike me as a lurker either. No offense to any of our actual lurkers who genuinely bring out a smile when they speak up from the shadows of the campfire.

100 PRINT "Feel free to check under the odds and ends tab if you would like more information about the site and please do read up on the site's user agreement while you are looking."

RUN
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++