WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Connecticut Appalachian Trail reroute for 2023

The ATC has just published the bypass route for the damaged bridge over Macedonia Brook in Kent CT.
    Connecticut reroute.jpg
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Is it fordable?
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I wrote out a longer response but I don’t see it. Hmmm. Short answer is I heard yes you can ford it.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

It was low enough to ford last Saturday (9/9) and Jim Liptack posted the following in fb regarding the bridge.

The bridge is unsafe to cross and is scheduled for removal shortly. During low water levels, the brook can be forded. For times of higher water and for those not wishing to ford, there is a 2.3 mile road walk that goes from CT 341 to Skiff Mtn Rd which is just before Caleb's Peak.

I am guessing the bypass will remain in place for a while as replacing/repairing the bridge will take a significant effort.

Thanks for the update. At least the trail isn't closed and the option to ford is there. We had a bit of rain over the weekend so if it was good to ford Saturday I imagine it usually is except maybe right after or during some heavy rain. I also imagine trail maintenance or issues with the trail will be after the bridge gets replaced.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I thought that I posted this before but if you can find the base of the Numeral Rock trail on Rt 341 just short of Skiff Mtn Rd you can follow that up to the AT. Since this is on Kent School property it can't be an official bypass. Once upon a time it was the route of the AT. It is not well marked but if you have a sharp eye you can find some blue blazes.

Journal Entries
    Images

thanks for this - I’ll be hiking this next weekend and may try the old route down. I saw a post where the remnants of the bridge were removed last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by hikermiker View Post
    I thought that I posted this before but if you can find the base of the Numeral Rock trail on Rt 341 just short of Skiff Mtn Rd you can follow that up to the AT. Since this is on Kent School property it can't be an official bypass. Once upon a time it was the route of the AT. It is not well marked but if you have a sharp eye you can find some blue blazes.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Love those maps. Use a PC.

https://www.postholer.com/map/Appala....484/14/other#

Zoom in.
    Click on the cog wheel and change the base to Historical U.S. Topo and you see where it comes off the AT. Postholer has a mileage marker for Glacier Rock so the trail probably starts there. I zoomed 150% on my browser for a better view. The trail follows the ridge south to the road. The satellite view gives a good image of the creek.

You can also google Kent School and use google street view icon to see the the ridge at the highway cut. The trail was probably on the west side. Then one can follow the road west and sees the creek and then the parked cars and trail sign at the steps where the AT crosses the fence.

Macedonia Road Crossing.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Macedonia Brook reroute was officially updated in December 2023 to reduce the road walk and make use of the Kent School/Numeral Rock trail that HikerMiker referred to.

https://appalachiantrail.org/trail-u...cedonia-brook/

https://appalachiantrail.org/wp-cont...ralRocksV2.pdf

++ New Posts ++