WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cohutta Wilderness Forest Service Road 22-2

Hi all,

I'll be taking forest service rd 22-2 to get to Dally Gap from Tennessee. I'm curious if anyone has been on this road recently? I drive a small car, so I'm trying to decide if we should use a different vehicle. I called the Conasauga Ranger District, but they said they don't regularly use the road, so I thought I'd check here.

Thanks!

Wow, real helpful info you got from the FS about a road they’re responsible for lol. Classic.

That road is ROUGH after the Licklog Ridge TH. I’m not sure I would tackle it in my 2WD truck, definitely not a sedan. I am pretty ambitious in what roads I’ll go for but between Licklog TH and Dally Gap, that’s a 4WD road in my book.

The road coming from in GA is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Wow, real helpful info you got from the FS about a road they’re responsible for lol. Classic.

That road is ROUGH after the Licklog Ridge TH. I’m not sure I would tackle it in my 2WD truck, definitely not a sedan. I am pretty ambitious in what roads I’ll go for but between Licklog TH and Dally Gap, that’s a 4WD road in my book.

According to this Wikipedia article:
    “Forest highways are designated by the United States Forest Service and funded by the federal government, but are generally owned and maintained by the states or counties in which they are located”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore...ned%20by%20the

Thanks Slug, that’s what I was looking for. Truck it is!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    According to this Wikipedia article:
    “Forest highways are designated by the United States Forest Service and funded by the federal government, but are generally owned and maintained by the states or counties in which they are located”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore...ned%20by%20the

It is my understanding the roads around the Cohutta/Big Frog wilderness are either maintained by the FS or the FS pays the counties to do maintenance. So they should at minimum be aware of their condition.

If the road turns nasty you can always park and continue on foot. I do alot of roadwalking on my backpacking trips---like connecting Buddy Cove on Pinhoti to Three Forks Mt trailhead---or coming out at Three Forks and roadwalking 64 to Betty Gap and start of Conasauga trail etc. Or coming down Wolf Ridge in Big Frog to Pace Gap and hiking FS 221 to Big Creek/Yellow Stand trailheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If the road turns nasty you can always park and continue on foot. I do alot of roadwalking on my backpacking trips---like connecting Buddy Cove on Pinhoti to Three Forks Mt trailhead---or coming out at Three Forks and roadwalking 64 to Betty Gap and start of Conasauga trail etc. Or coming down Wolf Ridge in Big Frog to Pace Gap and hiking FS 221 to Big Creek/Yellow Stand trailheads.
    Love incorporating FS road walks as part of loops on backpacking trips or even just day hikes. Usually a welcome change of pace from trails.

Love incorporating FS road walks as part of loops on backpacking trips or even just day hikes. Usually a welcome change of pace from trails.
    And you generally don't have to worry about yellow jacket nests or pit vipers on roadwalks.

I did call the county about the FS road, but they said they don’t maintain it. Maintenance must just depend on the location.

I’ll update on the road conditions when we get back. We’ll make up our minds about which vehicle to take on the day we leave, and we can walk the road without yellow jackets if need be

++ New Posts ++