WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Potenial Closure

I have a hike planned in the park with a small group starting on October 12. The plan was/is to have Fontana Marina shuttle us by boat to the Lakeshore Trail near Eagle Creek, and then to do a loop that exits across Fontana Dam. We were planning on leaving one vehicle at the visitors center and a second at the Marina. I've read all the information I can find from the NPS and the DOI on the subject. The way I read it, trails that are physically accessible are open. I understand that parking areas and roads may be blocked off and roads will be closed, but we won't be parking or driving in the park itself. As TVA is also a government entity, I'm not sure if the parking area at the visitors center will be closed. I'm also wondering if the Marina is likely to shuttle us in although I plan on calling them on Monday to find out for sure. If anyone has real, first hand experience... particularly during the 2008 shutdown when the parks were actually closed that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Good to post here. But I'd call the Marina and ask what they anticipate. TVA is government but not national (to my limited knowledge). Like here in Texas, all the Texas parks are open, funded, doing fine thank you very much.

I was doing a canoe trip on the Buffalo National River during a National PS shut down. the main drive in places, were closed, locked, gates down on roads, bathrooms locked and water was shut off. Every other remote river pull off, where the NPS has water, primitive camping and a toilet, was OPEN. So 50 percent were still closed. There was a few rangers (the ranger cops were on patrol) and at least one ranger doing Trash and Bathroom cleaning on the half that were open. That all said, the river never closes. When COVID hit, NPS closed the gates where I hike at LBJ National Grasslands. So the NPS supported pit toilets were locked, gates were locked so the equestrians all just parked along the roads, which they do even when open. Not all the gates were closed, just to camping areas. I even ran into one of the FS Volunteers out on the NPS supplied ATV, checking to put out smoldering camp fires. As he said, HIS ranch shares the fence so if there is a grass fire, HIS property and his neighbors, could be impacted.

So, hopefully someone with better prior knowledge of GSNP will chime in.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Government shutdown averted for 45 days. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live.../?id=103597144
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Government shutdown averted for 45 days. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live.../?id=103597144
    Not yet. The Senate still has to vote, and there is no guarantee they will approve the stopgap bill from the House.

Now it’s official that the government shutdown is averted for 45 days. The Senate just passed the bill.

++ New Posts ++