WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AZT March 2024

Default AZT March 2024

Looks like my plans are coming along in my life and I will probably be able to hike this trail - Will be my first "Through Hike". Hoping to leave my job in early March and fly out.
    If all goes as planned, I should be at the North Rim early to mid May - For those who have hiked this trial NOBO or anyone who is somewhat local - When does the snow/ice generally melt away north or the Grand Canyon? I know each year is different, but I am trying to plan this hike so I can complete in one trip.

Also - If anyone is planning a NOBO through hike around the same time, I would like to find someone to share a shuttle with on my way out - I have yet to book airfare. Will probably book my flight somewhat last minute....not sure exactly when I am going to retire. Should be the first week or so of March, but that could change a bit.

Cheers!

Doug Wise

Flying into Tucson, AZ late on the 19th of March. Getting a shuttle to the southern terminus on the 20th for my NOBO start.
    Anyone who is traveling on the same dates - please let me know if you would like to share a shuttle. I hope to set this up in the near future -
    Cheers!

I don’t know if you’ve found it, but Beardoh and Sweat Pea have a detailed trail journal of a spring hike here that might give some clues for weather on their hike:

https://www.longdistancehiker.com/ar...il-2015-posts/

Have fun, I’m eyeing next year…

Garlic
    Images

Over the past decade I've hiked to the North Rim in March several times in packed snow without major issues, traction devices unnecessary. The last time I saw a substantial ice problem was on a hike in February.

Thanks for the info - Looks like I should be on the North Rim around early/mid May - from what I am seeing, I should be okay.
    Cheers!!
    Doug Wise

Just a FYI for anyone interested in an AZT Through hike - Seems like the best source of current information for this hike is the through hike groups on facebook. I closed my facebook account years ago and recently had to create a new one to plan this through hike. Looks to be a wonderful trail surrounded by wonderful people - Looking forward to my March 20 start headed north to Utah.
    Cheers!
    Doug

++ New Posts ++