WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking the southern half of the AT: best start date from Springer to avoid rain?

After many years of thinking about it, I am ready to tackle the AT. More specifically, I want to hike the southern half, from Springer to Harper's Ferry. I think it will take me about 10 weeks.

My question is this. I want to avoid the rain and cold as much as possible, and the heat is a bit less of an issue for me. I can start at any time.

What do you think would be the best start date from Springer to avoid rain and cold weather?

july........

Early August. Would put you at HF around mid October based on your expected pace. Driest time of the year and before the weather turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Early August. Would put you at HF around mid October based on your expected pace. Driest time of the year and before the weather turns.
    Just be sure to start with 50gals of water

THat's a total crap shoot. You can look at histrorical averages but you're still going to get very wet and cold unless you go by lone wolf and sluggs post which is a good call.

Probably June or later. I did a lot of Virginia in May and froze my ass.

Can you avoid rain, ever?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's the best suggestion I have to offer... scroll down the following web page and it gives you two graphs giving a monthly climate average, including monthly rainfall at the top of the mountains (Clingmans Dome) and in the valleys (Gatlinburg). You'll see the rain starts to reduce as you go into August. From personal experience in the smokies, I can tell you that Sept thru December often is pretty dry.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Here's the best suggestion I have to offer... scroll down the following web page and it gives you two graphs giving a monthly climate average, including monthly rainfall at the top of the mountains (Clingmans Dome) and in the valleys (Gatlinburg). You'll see the rain starts to reduce as you go into August. From personal experience in the smokies, I can tell you that Sept thru December often is pretty dry.
    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

That preference for September through fall seems to hold up further north, in terms of number of days a month with measurable rain. I used the Wikipedia climate data for Staunton, VA.

In Virginia, Sept can be quite hot but Oct is a beautiful time time to hike!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike it sobo and start mid August, you'll have a warm, light pack-weight, start and finish in the Amazing, Autumn, Crayola Box finishing just before Daylight Savings.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

If this year is any measure, it rains ALL Spring and was over 95 F the Summer. You might it up and hike in the Fall.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Probably June or later. I did a lot of Virginia in May and froze my ass.
    I walked from Springer Mountain to WV in the Summer of 1977. Started around the 14th of June - it rained for the first 14 days. Turned 16yo on the GA/NC border.

I'd start in early April...

++ New Posts ++