WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default USFS officially signs off on demo of the Barn

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2023/11/13/appalachian-trail-landmark-overmountain-shelter-barn-to-be-torn-down/71532989007/
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Seems to be a reasonable plan given the slowly deteriorating structural condition of the barn despite routine replacement of siding, flooring, roofing, and framing lumber every 2-years or so. Bringing it down in a controlled fashion beats having it fall down with a few people in it.

Images

After the barn is torn down, it will be 20 miles from Stan Murray shelter to Mountaineer shelter, which I believe will be the longest gap between shelters anywhere in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    After the barn is torn down, it will be 20 miles from Stan Murray shelter to Mountaineer shelter, which I believe will be the longest gap between shelters anywhere in the South.
    True statement, however there are two Hostels that both offer a great stay as well as viable camp spots for those that do not wish to go off trail. I didn’t stay at Stan Murray and wouldn’t have stopped at Mountaineer, if it hadn’t been for inclement weather. Station 19 wasn’t started at that time either. Camping is still Viable at the Barn even when the barn is removed. Makes for interesting planning for sure.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

It’s been town down, saw a video on FB.

Glad to see this at the end of the article:
    “The Forest Service said in the release the pit privy will remain but may be improved for future use” and “a bench may be installed near the shelter footprint”.

I can't believe the barn is gone! Now what, long hike to the next one? What if you're hurt? I'll miss the barn.

[QUOTE=Slugg;2303290]It’s been town down, saw a video on FB.
    Who posted the video? I'd like to see it.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=tndude;2303293]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Confirmed with my maintainer contacts.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

[QUOTE=tndude;2303293]
    I can PM you, I don’t really wanna direct folks away from this site to FB with a public link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I can't believe the barn is gone! Now what, long hike to the next one? What if you're hurt? I'll miss the barn.
    From the linked article in post#1.

"Additionally, there are existing alternatives for overnight stays with tent camping at the site and the Stan Murray shelter just two miles to the south provides a covered overnight alternative for campers."

The patch of grass between where the blue blaze comes out of the woods and the barn is one of the best tenting spots on the whole AT. Incredible view across the valley and a gajillion stars at night.

I “went” to the online hearing about a year ago. You could tell it was coming down no matter what anyone said. Good news I learned is that shelters aren’t needed anymore. So nobody really cares about miles between shelters any longer.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=tndude;2303293]
    It was in the Appalachian Trail Section Hikers group, posted by Michael Broussard.
    It hurt to watch.

it's just a barn.

Does anyone know what the status of the privy will be? I used that unsheltered thing one December in a foot of snow! LOL

Yes it is just a barn indeed, but the memories housed there are in the millions. I know I have stayed there 15+ nights over the years, several trips with some friends that have passed away. the good news is the spot itself is just as grand as the barn itself was! Great tenting out in the "yard".
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Does anyone know what the status of the privy will be? I used that unsheltered thing one December in a foot of snow! LOL

Yes it is just a barn indeed, but the memories housed there are in the millions. I know I have stayed there 15+ nights over the years, several trips with some friends that have passed away. the good news is the spot itself is just as grand as the barn itself was! Great tenting out in the "yard".
    “The Forest Service said in the release the pit privy will remain but may be improved for future use” and “a bench may be installed near the shelter footprint”.

Journal Entries
    Images

The existing privy will remain until its use is exhausted, and will be the last. The area has extensively rocky sub-surface. Finding additional privy pits has not been easy in the last couple digs.

After the years of rumors, I am not sure what will be implemented. One of the first things I heard was a pole shed big enough to camp under to a picnic pavillion with a fireplace to maybe a couple concrete picnic tables to nothing.

Current USFS plan has no mention of a rebuild or relocation of a new shelter. Even a study for one would take a couple years.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Yep, and Damascus is just a town. Kahtadin is just a modest mountain. The AT is just some dirt. Parents and kids are just people who will die. Thru hikers are just lazy unemployed people.

Putting a bench sounds better then wasting money on that picnic pavilion, not meant to camp under and still open to the elements. A tenting site with a bench is all it needs, not that the bench is really needed either. As someone who spent a total of 13 nights in a shelter on my thru hike I don't see the concern about space between shelters, not like it's designated sites only to camp down there.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

++ New Posts ++