WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hostel in 2013ish

Hi I think I hiked this year from harpers ferry to Georgia. On the way, maybe in Tenn or Virginia I stayed at a hostel that was a big shed behind a house. It had Varios tools for cleaning deer and mounted deer and other animals on the wall of the garage. It was very big and it still looked like a work shop of some type. There was a shower and you could do laundry in the house. It was donation based. I think you had to almost do bouldering to get there coming from the north. It was an oldish man 50s or 60s and his son I think. He gave rides to get groceries and talked about handling snakes to relocate them. It may have been close to train tracks. Anyone remember where this was?????

At least in part, this sounds like 4 Pines—my least favorite hostel stay. But some like it.

About a half mile south from where trail crosses VA 624 near Catawba. Just north of Dragon’s Tooth.
    Last edited by HankIV; 11-21-2023 at 07:57. Reason: Add location

I wouldn't consider it a shed but is this it? The closest thing to bouldering in virginia would be dragons tooth, just south a couple miles from 4 pines hostel

IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4331.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++