WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Does anyone else have a Kakwa (2024 version)?

BTW A Kakwa is a backpack put out by Dan Durston.

I ordered a Kakwa 55 (2024) version which arrived yesterday and I have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post

I ordered a Kakwa 55 (2024) version which arrived yesterday and I have some questions.
    I can't help you, but I am interested in this pack. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I can't help you, but I am interested in this pack. I'd love to hear what you think of it.
    Rather than go over some random review, I'd rather go into detail on how I wound up buying this pack
    I really have no thoughts on gear. I will also never say if a piece of gear or good or bad. I look for specific elements in gear has, try to find them in one item, then I look at price.
    For example this pack has all the important factors I was looking for, at what i call the correct price:

You see, I pick gear 100% differently than anyone else. The method I use is unorthodox and people will almost advise against it. Keep in mind that the method I use always works because of the procedure I use to determine what piece of gear I want. The piece of gear I buy, has already been chosen as the piece I'm going to be using. There is no testing phase to find out if it works. If I have a piece of gear that means it's going to work I don't need to test it.

The number one rule I make for myself when picking gear is to absolutely make sure to avoid FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) I pick a piece of gear and stick with it. I ignore the another/newer model is being released in a week type situations holding out waiting based on what you may not get for a price is a bad idea and screws up most people. The way i deal with that is, newer items have a tendencies to have more problems as they haven't been tested as thoroughly as the product that's already been out and being used.

Here is what I did for this backpack:

1. I set a price I refuse to go over ($350)
    2. I spend weeks looking at and researching what exists for features
    3. After getting a list of features, I remove the wants so all that's left are the needs
    4. Once I have the features, I then spend weeks going through any item that meets at least 3/4 of the features on that need list
    5. I then filter through pricing

So in the case of a backpack I decided $350 was the maximum amount I would spend. here is a list of features the backpack I chose would have to have (The list of reasons for this list is too vast to list, but lets just say every feature has a very specific reason I don't put features in any order as they are all equally important.

Load Lifters
    Roll Top
    Durablility
    Decent weight
    Trampoline back

It just so happens that the only feature on my list of needs the Kakwa 55 doesn't have, is the trampoline back. The features it does have, outweighs the features it doesn't. Since it was $260 ($285 including shipping) then forgoing the trampoline back is a trade off. However if it this pack had everything except the load lifters, then I most likely never would have gotten this pack as they are something I have to have. As I said, everything I pick has extreme reasoning for choosing.

BTW it too me 9 weeks to narrow down and buy the tent I now have.

So you have no feedback on the pack at all?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    So you have no feedback on the pack at all?
    Sorry not at the present time no. I'm not a reviewer so I'm not even sure what to actually post about. If you have specific questions I can/will try to answer them the best I can.

Why? Did it not come with any instructions?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Actually no it didn't, but the maker did provided info about where you can contact them to get help should you need it.

But my questions have nothing to do with anything he can answer

Almost fell off my couch laughing so freaking hard , !!

Actually no it didn't, but the maker did provided info about where you can contact them to get help should you need it.

But my questions have nothing to do with anything he can answer
    What are the questions?

Ha! Perfect!

I have the new version of the Kakwa 55, but have not used it yet.

I get an original Kakwa 55 last winter and used it on my Isle Royale hike in August.
    My original was a size Medium and after the hike I decided a large would fit better. So I ordered a large, but in summer, they came out with an updated version which was back ordered. When it finally arrived I kept the large and sold the Medium, as well as my original Elemental Horizons Kalais (ver 1.0)

I also ordered the Kakwa55 and received notice that it’s on the way. I liked a lot of what I read, 2lb weight, water proof fabric, internal frame and load lifters. Although, I have read that due to the length of the frame, it might be long to be considered carry on luggage when flying. When it comes, I will measure for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallpine View Post
    I also ordered the Kakwa55 and received notice that it’s on the way. I liked a lot of what I read, 2lb weight, water proof fabric, internal frame and load lifters. Although, I have read that due to the length of the frame, it might be long to be considered carry on luggage when flying. When it comes, I will measure for myself.
    I received the Kakwa55 today and measured to see if it is small enough to be considered carry on luggage when flying, It’s a little too long!! Although it does appear to be well made and is light weight.

I fly all the time and I can tell you that the measurements the airlines use are, at the very best, sort of guideline. I haven't seen any airline employee check the size on a bag in many, many years. If it passes the eyeball test, they'll let you schlep it right onto the plane and eat up an entire bin if you can get it in there.

Lets hear it people, how is it working out? I imagine its a fair weather only pack given its size.

++ New Posts ++