WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Default Shenandoah National Park Announces Online Backcountry Camping Permit System

Beginning January 11, 2024, the process to obtain a backcountry permit will change. The only way to obtain your permit will be through recreation.gov. More information here:
    https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...egulations.htm
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Sounds like its not the same as GSMNP permits of having to map out each night and pay for each night...I appreciate the simplicity of pay your flat rate entry and proceed thru the park on your daily accord. Going electronic but keeping it K.I.S.S. makes sense to me.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Sounds like its not the same as GSMNP permits of having to map out each night and pay for each night...I appreciate the simplicity of pay your flat rate entry and proceed thru the park on your daily accord. Going electronic but keeping it K.I.S.S. makes sense to me.
    According to the park web site, camping regulations are not changing. You now just get a permit on line. The permit is emailed to you. The digital permit on you phone is acceptable (no need to print a paper copy). For thru hikers they have this accommodation.

"When purchasing your permit, you will be able to indicate that you are an A.T. thru hiker. This will eliminate the requirement to indicate a specific camping zone for each night. You will also be able to choose a 14-day window to camp in Shenandoah National Park. This will give you greater flexibility with your permit itinerary should your trip plans change."

I went to the registration site. Although not active, you can see what it look like. There you can see the button to select a permit for an Appalachian Trail hiker. The info link defines thru hiker:

"Choose this area if you are hiking thru the park via the Appalachian Trail, starting and ending at the park's north and south boundaries."

So the are not defing a thru hiker as an AT thru hiker, but as someone hiking thru the park on the AT.

++ New Posts ++