WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Beara Way in Ireland

I am planning to hike the Beara Way in Ireland this summer. I can’t find much good information online in terms of guides or general beta. Has anyone here hiked this trail and be willing to answer some questions or point me in the right direction?

The Beara way is a 128 mile loop around the Beara Peninsula of Ireland. I’m looking for information like where wild camping is available, which towns it passes through that offer hiker-friendly lodging..Things like that.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't hike the Way or the Ring. But I did stop in Kenmare for a couple hours and Killarney for overnight while on a bus tour in 2023. Definite tourist friendly towns.

Killarney NP is kind of like Roan Mtn TN/NC and Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands area. A definite must-see. Especially the Ladies.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Totally agree with Killarney NP. Great place.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

I went to hike the Ireland Way this past summer - most of the 'trails' are road walking in Ireland, (I hiked about 100 miles before I quit the trail - with hedgerows above your head on both sides of the road, pounding pavement, was just not my idea of a hike). I was town to town frequently, so not much need to carry food. I started in CastletownBarre and went north. If you're not on roads, your on a sheep farm - the ground is boggy, & soggy. Bring water from town, you really don't want to have to filter water on the farms, there is sheep poop EVERYWHERE and probably some dead sheep up the creek. There were no real trails through the sheep farms, more or less just public right of way, and sheep trails. It was. some of the toughest hiking I've done climbing the hills there - but drop dead gorgeous. As for wild camping, the one or two times I set up my tent was in someones farm field or on a soccer field - yes, this is allowed. The Irish are the nicest people you will ever meet. They will bend over backwards to help you out. After I left the trail, I got on a bus and toured around Ireland for a while (and caught Covid!). There is very little public land in Ireland. If you don't hike, make sure to travel and meet people, lots of great hostels to stay at.

++ New Posts ++