WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Checking Pack at Airport

I will be flying into Reno from the East Coast. I plan to put my pack and poles in a duffle bag and check the bag. I don't want to carry the 1.3 lb duffle on trail for 3 weeks so I thought I'd mail it home from Reno, but then I won't have it for the return flight(s). What did other hikers do in this situation?

I was going to try the Frakta Bag from Ikea. Perfect size for my 55 L pack. Lightweight and folds compact when empty.

Another option is to mail it to your destination instead of home.

I ask customer service to put my pack in a plastic bag that they use for baby seats. Never had any problems. Free and easy. If you are doing the TRT, you can also get to your destination, then mail your duffle to General Delivery in Reno and pick it up on your way back.

If you know where you will be staying (?hotel) before your return trip, give them a call to ask if they will hold a package for you.
    I have done that. Had a poly mailer addressed and ready, and mailed it ahead when I got to my destination, or gave a shuttle driver or hostel $$ to cover postage and their time to drop it in the mail for me.

NJH's idea of having airline put it in 'car seat' bag is good too. I have and would pack trekking poles (and tent poles if you have them) carefully down center of pack (tips covered), with other gear around them, and avoid items hanging or in outer pockets - everything inside the pack. Carry-on electronics, water filter, and anything you can't fit inside the pack.

Put in a flat rate USPS box with your travel clothes and mail it to a post office near the end of your hike. Recommend you put a hold until date. You also can have them forward the box if you end up somewhere else. Use your home address as the return address so when they get tired of holding it, it will end up back home.

I wrapped my pack in a large contractor trash bag,taping it tight with duct tape with only one shoulder strap hanging out to carry through airport. Discarded bag at airport near trailhead. For the return,bought a roll of tape and a box of bags at Dollar General,items I can always use anyway. Worked fine.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I went to the grocery store in Lone Pine and bought a roll of saran wrap. I simply wrapped the backpack up so that you could still access the contents from the top (incase TSA decides to check things) and used some ducktape from my repair kit to ensure the saran wrap would not come off.

++ New Posts ++