WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

To save the battery, try taking it out of the phone when not on. Maybe that will make it last longer. It should... chances are even with the phone off it sounds like it's still draining power.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    To save the battery, try taking it out of the phone when not on. Maybe that will make it last longer. It should... chances are even with the phone off it sounds like it's still draining power.
    I agree, for my phone anyway, a finite amount of power goes towards keeping the clock and the calandar current. I won't be carrying one, but if I did, the second batery sounds like a good idea.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Backpacker
    Images

mine dies within 4 hours if its on while i have no service/signal. If it has a signal it will last for days, i can even stay up all night playing games. No idea how long it would last if it was turned off.

Lack of signal always kills my battery, plus you can get your phone soaking wet while its off and it will still work as long as you dry it out completely before turning it back on (i literally fell off a cliff into a quarry full of water while at camp with all my clothes + cell phone in pocket.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    One of the nice things is that if anyone calls you while your phone is off, when you do turn it on you can call them back. Even if they don't leave a message, the missed call log will tell you they tried to call, and when.
    I think that depends on who your provider is. I have Verizon and there is no such missed call log. If my phone is not on when I miss a call and they don't leave a message, I'll never know they called.

The first thing I do when I buy a new cellphone is go to the manufacturer's website and buy the extended-life battery. Almost every manufacturer out there offers an optional, longer-life battery you can buy. In my case it nearly doubles the time.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace
    You could put one of these on your hat and hike fast: http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/21/t...obile-charger/
    A...OK thats funny Personal wind generators just think of the possibilities LOL..
    Kevin

Y'all gonna be looking some sharp with that mini-wind turbine on your heads, can't wait to see you comming down the trail with that spinning.....
    BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!!!!

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

As a winter hiker who has used a cellphone on occasion, let me just correct a couple of common misconceptions.

First, batteries do not lose charge when cold, they just decrease their output (like playing dead). Warm them up and they are just as before. SGTdirtman's Dad was correct. Never assume a cold battery is dead.

Second, I do not believe it is physically possible for a battery to lose charge within the time frame of days, unless it is in contact with some sort of conducting metal (e.g. installed in the phone). Removed from the phone, or radio, or GPS or whatever, a battery should hold it's charge for the duration of the trip. It sounds like this would work fine for the original poster, with no need to be "on" for incoming calls.

And as a suggestion, perhaps one of those hand crank chargers would be the most elegant of solutions for insuring full cell phone charge on an extended trip. I seem to remember they are fairly light in weight, especially when multiple spare batteries are being consider otherwise.

Hope that helps.
    - Tramper Al

Geezer

TRAMPER AL!!!

Welcome back. We missed you.
    Frosty

Thumbs up Sidewinder Portable Cell Phone Charger

Have you checked out the Sidewinder?

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...sidewinder.htm

SOLAR POWER RAWKS!

Had to shout that, 'cause NOW, you can TALK all day on the phone, check this out! Geeze, can I bring my DVD player on the AT now?.....

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/produ...ana/index.html

Yep, you guessed it, SOLAR PACKS!

Check out the MORE IMAGES link under the photo of the MANA Solar Claw...it has a 12V power connection, 6 Watts of power...

Hey, I NEED this baby...my STEREO uses 12 Volts...

Coonass from Down South jazilla's Avatar
    Images

Saw something a while back on the tube the five minutes I watch before bed. Something a guy was working on. It was a charger in a shoe. As you walked you charged your phone. The step of your foot kind of works like a piston in your car. Was a cool idea but I don't think it has come out to the open market.
    "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll
    SOLAR POWER RAWKS!

Had to shout that, 'cause NOW, you can TALK all day on the phone, check this out! Geeze, can I bring my DVD player on the AT now?.....

http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/produ...ana/index.html

Yep, you guessed it, SOLAR PACKS!

Check out the MORE IMAGES link under the photo of the MANA Solar Claw...it has a 12V power connection, 6 Watts of power...
    Hey, I NEED this baby...my STEREO uses 12 Volts...
    Solar Power on the A.T.? Yea, ask One Leg Wonder how effective solar power is on the A.T. You might want to reconsider carrying that boat anchor on the trail.

Mebbe I shoulda just said: "Look, I'm saying this all, like, tougue in cheek" ya know?......

I was really just gagging at the whole idea of packs with solar panels.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++