WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Animal Channel's "Eaten Alive"

For outdoor enthusiasts I recommend watching the Animal Channel's "Eaten Alive" show. It starts you out slow with Round Worms a girl got from eating a meal on vacation in Mexico-3 yrs earlier. Then you are introduced to a fisherman who got tape worms from under cooked trout. A woman who got tape worms in the brain. A guy gets Giardia, loses 70 lbs. Then the show kicks it up a notch and we see a guy watching a ball game and feels something in his eye, looks in a mirror and sees a tiny worm crawling inside his eye. Took 3 yrs to show up and took 10 years to get rid of. Caused by flies the worms known as Loa Loa. Then they examine mosquito carry things like malaria. Then they talk about Eco-Challenge-Borneo contestant who picked up some nasty nematodes and they ran all over his body, took months to get rid of. Another guy in Costa Rica gets a maggot (aka Botfly) from a mosquito bite, looked like a small version of the Alien Creature when the doctors cut it out. Then for the show stopper they recreated where a guy who lived near the Amazon that was attacked by a tiny candirú fish while he was urinating on the waters edge, I want say any more, its too painful to even discuss.
    Anyway, I'll be stocking up on Deet and making sure I cook very throughly all my food, and of course filter my water. I know the majority of the things shown on the show where contracted outside the US, but the worms and Giardia are here. This show is tough to watch but outdoor lovers should at least try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    I know the majority of the things shown on the show where contracted outside the US, but the worms and Giardia are here. This show is tough to watch but outdoor lovers should at least try.
    Some are nasty little things living in this country too. My 8 year old son, who ran around barefoot more than I wanted him too (a naturalist from early on), managed to get a worm in his foot who's normal living space is horse manure. It took nearly 4 months to get rid of it. It lived just under his skin, making "tunnels", like a gopher trail in the yard, all over his foot and up to his ankle. Every morning we'd take account of where the worm traveled that night, guess where it was going next and try to head it off at the pass with a topical product from the doctor. Eventually, we got it. Forgot the name, but it was pretty weird, although gave us lots of entertainment. The term "Wormy Little Kid" had new meaning. Luckily it wasn't a serious intestional thing for my son.

Images

buddy of mine caught some sort of fluke in somalia... was so big they couldn't see it in his stool sample with a microscope and kept misdiagnosing it... eventually ate everything from the large intestine on out... he was medically discharged in 1994 or so. 30 years old and on a colostomy bag... another friend living under the same hootch with us also got it, but later, and they caught it in time once they figured out what it was and that you didn't need a microscope to see it... we lived in the same hootch, ate, drank, worked, showered, and played together... had a friend stationed a few dozen miles away... he got TB. others in that unit came down with a really weird strain of malaria that our preventive stuff didn't work against... and i escaped unscathed... weird...

++ New Posts ++