WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy "Hiker's Revenge"

Okay, this is the name I gave the infamous Montezuma's Revenge - but my dh got sick about five days after we did an overnight hike (last week). He's had it now for four days with no let-up. Of course it's now the weekend so I have to wait on taking him to the DR. to confirm, but just wondering if anyone else has tackled hiker's dysentery and what you did about it? Not sure if it was caused by water or not (we treated with Aqua Mira and they were running springs).

Thanks

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't know that I would automatically blame it on the hike, as it began 5 days later. Food poisoning is frequently with 12-24 hours. Parisitic critters (Giardia for instance) rarely appear prior to a week after exposure.

The problem may be a food poisoning, made worse by failure to rest the gut, rehydrate and treat a possible bacterial infection. I think that 4-5 days of continuous diarrhea indicate a need for early trip to a doc, even if that means the local "doc in a box" or the ER.

Pending that, I'd consider treatment with PeptoBismol and hydration with an electrolyte solution. Clear liquids are required. I'd like to know if he is febrile and on other medications.

After four days his bowels are probably irritated. Have him take an over the counter anti-diahhreal medicine and follow a strict BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and dry toast) for 48 hours to rest his innards. Then carefully resume normal food. If he still has it or it comes back, definitely see a doc.

Stickman

Another thing to remember is that most hiker sickness is passed on by unclean hands, not water.

Alcohol hand sanitizer is cool.

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

just realized I could get asked for a statistic- not sure exactly, but living in 3rd world countries shows you that washing your hands often keeps you healthy. also check out http://www.imrisk.com/ultragiardia.htm .

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

If you are worried it's Giardia, the symptom has been described to me by a doctor as "rice water stool."

Cholera is the usual rice water stool. Giardia tends to be explosive, intermittant erruptions associated with GI bloating.

If he has cholera and hasn't been treated for 5 days, his ability to maintain life is remarkable.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well, he seems better today, thanks everyone! The Pepto Bismol seem to work well also, Orangebug.

We may still go to the Dr tomorrow - but from what we've been reading, even if it's bacterial, there isn't much they do with it except wait it out. He isn't dehydrated which is good and seemed to have more stamina. No fever either and appetite better. So I hope we're over the worst.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

if its bugs, then it can recur- even if it looks like you are getting better, they can come back with a vengance.

Of course, it's amazing how it can clear you up when the doctor asks you to give a sample!

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Although you may have a tolerance, since you're not suffering effects, it most likely wasn't the water.

++ New Posts ++