Hello all,

I searched the threads and did not find any information on inflammation/irritation of the sesamoid bones of the big toe joint (metatarsal head).

A long story short: During my pre-hike training I put excessive pressure on my first metatarsal joint of the big toe (predominatley on my right side). I was doing up to 250 calf-raises/day with 200 lbs. of resistance and hiking in Asics Trail Runners which were too flexible. I totally regret doing all this now but it is too late to go back and change my training.

I will be starting my thru-hike the week of April 24th, so I have a week or so to let it heal up. The pain is not bad. It is generally just a little soreness with a slight tingling/numbness in the big toe and between the big toe and second toe. Currently, I am trying to stay off it and use advil and ice for 15 minutes, two times per day.

I have read a little on the internet about it and it recommends wearing stiff soled shoes, so I will wear my Vasque boots instead of trail runners.

Does anyone have any advice, or had a similar experience? I still have about 10-14 days before I leave for Georgia, so I hope that is enough time to rid myself of the symptoms.

Thanks in advance.