WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear attack

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    I knew a nasty cat named Nutmeg. It was from New York.
    What part of New York? New Haven? Old Lyme? Danbury?

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    What part of New York? New Haven? Old Lyme? Danbury?
    North of Danbury and just a few miles south of where the trail enters the Nutmeg State.

Can't wait to see the armament hanging off some of the hikers after this reported bear attack...canisters of bear spray, holsters with 30 rounds and 44 mag on the hip, flares, 2 cell phones powered by a mini wind turbine strapped to head , grenades? I'll still be going with the basics though....Proper clothing, food, gear and self reliance is all I need thank you

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

They think they caught the bear it seems to meet the M.O. Authorities claim to want to euthanize the bear and send hair to Tenn. College of Vet. Med.to compare hair left at the attack. I do not undedrstand why they need to do it that way since there are not many large bear's in the 5,000 mile radius so they say,cart before the horse or the guilty by size theory?
    Last edited by Pacific Tortuga; 04-16-2006 at 15:50.

"KILL WHITEY!"

oh..opps...wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    I agree, and so on that account....I will no longer drive my car or go anywhere near a major road...as there is a very real chance that I might be hit and killed by a dangerous car.

If you lived in the savannas of southern Africa, and went near a watering hole would people be outraged if you were attacked by a cheetah or a lion? The problem is people think that because they can get to it by roads that it is quasi-wilderness. It's the bears natural habitat, and in all liklihood there is something wrong with it. Do you know how many people hike the AT without ever seeing a bear? There are quite a few.

A tragedy...sure! One more thing to freak out about...no! Unless you want to change your name to Chicken McLittle because the sky is falling!
    Your post would make more sense if I had ever suggested that anyone shouldn't hike because of bears. I never even implied that. Regarding your analogy of driving, my position would be akin to suggesting that you wear your seat belt. Jack Tarlin ( and co.) are basically telling you not to wear your seat belt, there is no danger of ever crashing and getting injured, and your a chicken if you buckle up, and acknowledge the rules of the road.

I suggest that we all coolly acknowledge the potential for being attacked by a bear, while hiking in bear country, carrying food, in the spring time. Yes, the chances are small, but they are there.

After this rational acknowledgment, we adopt strategies to deal with this possibilty, should it arise.

Some of you choose to believe that bears are gentle harmless woodland creatures like faeries or wood nymphs. And I guess that's ok too, since thinning the herd is all part of the great natural cycle of life.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Believe it or not... Bears hate the smell of burning tobacco, and can smell it from a mile away when the wind is right.... tobacco burners have no fear from the mighty black bear cause they think you stink!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: momentary lull in on-going pissing contest :::

I hope they have the right bear for the safety of everyone who frequents the area and I hope they can find out why it attacked for the sake of the family's peace of mind.

::: resume pissing contest :::

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Regarding your analogy of driving, my position would be akin to suggesting that you wear your seat belt. Jack Tarlin ( and co.) are basically telling you not to wear your seat belt, there is no danger of ever crashing and getting injured, and your a chicken if you buckle up, and acknowledge the rules of the road.

I suggest that we all coolly acknowledge the potential for being attacked by a bear, while hiking in bear country, carrying food, in the spring time. Yes, the chances are small, but they are there.

After this rational acknowledgment, we adopt strategies to deal with this possibilty, should it arise.

Some of you choose to believe that bears are gentle harmless woodland creatures like faeries or wood nymphs. And I guess that's ok too, since thinning the herd is all part of the great natural cycle of life.
    O.K. now I have to reply to this for 2 reasons: First, I have not read a single post that states that a black bear attack in the Eastern U.S. is not possible. Why should anyone have to "coolly acknowledge" a fact that is accepted? Lightning kills many more in the woods and does not get ANY news coverage. Seems to me that concentrating on threats that honestly are at the absolute bottom of the probability scale takes focus away from real dangers that hikers and backpackers face. Second, as for adopting strategies to avert bear attacks, what are you adding here that is not already within the realm of proven strategies? Obviously you feel that bear spray is a prudent choice for protection against bears, fair enough? I say carry it and be comforted by it. Just don't forget the more important measures to take to protect yourself against bears. Speaking of everyday threats Kirk, do you wear a motorcycle helmet while driving your car? Well I don't and I would say that practice would be 1000x more likely to save your life than carrying bear spray in the woods. That being said, I fully approve of anything people do for their safety as long as I don't have to carry it.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default BEAR Captured & Killed

Black Bear Captured; Officials Believe It Killed Clyde Girl
    April 17, 2006 04:48 AM CDT

NASHVILLE (AP) -- The US Forest Service captured a black bear Sunday, and they believe it is the one that killed a girl in a Tennessee park Thursday. A spokeswoman said the bear will be euthanized. Its body will then be sent to experts who'll determine if it's the bear that killed the girl and injured two members of her family.

According to the spokeswoman, the bear is the same size as the killer bear. She also pointed out that aren't many bears in the area that was quarantined after the attack.

The family had been at a pool below a waterfall in the Cherokee National Forest on Thursday afternoon when the bear attacked, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said. The 350- to 400-pound bear killed the 6-year-old girl, and critically injured her mother and 2-year-old brother.

Sources at Bellevue Hospital identified the mother as Sue Cenkus, an employee at the hospital. The family reportedly lives in Clyde, Ohio, about 40 miles east of Toledo. The hospital released a statement, saying in part that the hospital extends its deepest sympathies, and the family remains in its prayers.

Witnesses said the bear snatched up the boy in its mouth as the mother and other visitors at the Chilhowee campground tried to fend it off with sticks and rocks. The girl ran away, but was later found dead about 100 yards down a trail. When her body was found, a bear was standing over her, authorities said.

It's been reported that one of the rescue squad members who responded to the emergency fired a shot at the bear from a small caliber handgun -- but, because there was no blood, it was unclear if the bear was hit. Officials said the shot caused the bear to run away.

Officials are still trying to piece together exactly what happened to spur the attack. Rangers said the animal might have been suffering from a disease that affected its behavior. "It's a pretty rare thing, black bears generally don't attack people," said park ranger Monty Williams.

The mother and boy were listed in critical condition Friday at a Chattanooga hospital, but both are expected to recover. The boy had puncture wounds on his head and claw marks on his body. The mother also suffered puncture wounds when she was picked up and dragged by the bear.

The attack occurred in an isolated mountainous area, 10 miles from the nearest highway, in the 640,000-acre national forest, which runs along the Tennessee-North Carolina line southwest of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Authorities first tried to search the rugged terrain for the bear, but called off that effort early Friday to concentrate on trying to trap the animal in a 1,000-acre area around the campground.

The campground had only six of its 88 campsites filled at the time of the attack, officials said. Terry McDonald of the US Forest Service said the family members were believed to be day visitors, not overnight campers. The campground was evacuated after the attack.

Officials said there have been 42 bear sightings in the area in the past couple of weeks, but this is the time of year when bears are usually active. In May 2000, a woman was killed by a black bear near Gatlinburg. Glena Ann Bradley, a schoolteacher from Cosby, was attacked by two female bears when she took a walk on a trail near a Smoky Mountains campground.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

[quote=The campground had only six of its 88 campsites filled at the time of the attack, officials said. Terry McDonald of the US Forest Service said the family members were believed to be day visitors, not overnight campers. The campground was evacuated after the attack.

Officials said there have been 42 bear sightings in the area in the past couple of weeks, but this is the time of year when bears are usually active. In May 2000, a woman was killed by a black bear near Gatlinburg. Glena Ann Bradley, a schoolteacher from Cosby, was attacked by two female bears when she took a walk on a trail near a Smoky Mountains campground.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.[/quote]

I think it all boils down to the primal urges of the bear. In this I mean for one its a campground, campgrounds mean food sources for wildlife. Although most campgrounds have proceedures on controlling campers food-trash disposal. It only takes a couple non-compliant campers to sooner or later attract hungry mammals.

The area these people were attacked apparently held an interest to the bears as a natural food source (the waterfall ie fish) and a food source with human food wastes (or possibly food left intentionally by some to feed "the nice bears").

The bear was probably a resident of the that area thus at least used to the occassional human crossing its tracks (although most times I am sure the humans never knew it was near). This, as its been documented over and over again, makes the bears more brazen for close contact. If this is a good scenario, I think this incident has the hungry bear looking for food, and (whether it was sick or had rabies or something else happened) something triggered it into predatory mode.

I am glad to see they have upgraded the 2yr old to stable however, due to the injury I hold hope that he will be able to live a life without anything more than the scars. It will be enough to remember about his sister. Hopefully mom is on her way to an upgrade herself.

Anyone know more about her condition?
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Default The family has spoken

From Chattanoogan.com;

Relatives of a family attacked in Polk County by a bear on Thursday say the family loved the Chilhowie site and that the incident was "a freak thing."

Christopher Dennison, a Lee University student and the oldest son of attack victim Susan Cenkus, said, "That was our favorite place to go for recreation. We never had any fear of going there. We loved it very much."

The family held a morning press conference at Erlanger Medical Center - mainly to thank those who were involved in the rescue and in the medical treatment of those who survived.

Susan Cenkus, 45, remains in critical condition at Erlanger, but she may be released as early as the end of next week.

Her two-year-old son, Luke Cenkus, is in fair condition. Doctors say he may need a psychological evaluation. Dr. Lisa Smith said he underwent "pretty severe emotional trauma."

Elora Petrasek, 6-year-old daughter of Susan Cenkus, was killed by the bear. The bear believed to be the one involved in the attack was killed on Sunday after being trapped.

Rob Petrasek, father of Elora, said at the press conference that was often emotional, "Thank God for helping us cope with this tragedy."

He said the family consider the rescue workers "as heroes for their quick and thorough response." He said the care and concern the family has received "has meant more to us than we can ever express."

Mr. Petrasek, a machinist, said he met Susan in Tennessee. He said he has lived at Cleveland, Chattanooga and Tullahoma.

Family members said Susan Cenkus at one time was a nurse at Bradley Central Hospital in Cleveland.

Christopher Dennison said his mother and the two children were on their way to attend his junior recital at Lee. Ms. Cenkus as well as her parents now live at Clyde, Ohio.

He thanked the media "for treating this delicate situation with all the respect and honor it deserves."

Rev. Gene Paul, father of Susan Cenkus, said it is "a close-knit family that has come together." He said the family had not spoken sooner because "we needed time to get over the initial shock."

Rev. Paul, a Church of God minister, said he and his wife were in Jacksonville, Fla., at his niece's home when they were told of the attack.

He said, "There has been so much prayer and support - not only from this area but from all across the United States."

Rev. Paul said Susan "is a wonderful, loving mother. She was willing to give her life for her children, and I think that speaks for herself."

Witnesses said Ms. Cenkus was mauled after she tried to fight off the bear, which had picked up her son in its mouth. Elora ran off during the incident, and her body was found about an hour later about 100 yards away with the bear standing over it.

Rev. Paul said, "We still have two. We have Luke and we have Susan. But we can't replace Elora. She's one in a million - a sweet girl. She's a treasure and God's taken that treasure."

Susan's younger sister, Beth, said Elora "just lit up a room when she entered."

She said she loved animals and had named their dog Violet. She said she especially loved dolphins.

Beth said, "I just don't know what we are going to do without her."

A fund has been started at First Tennessee Bank to benefit victims of the bear attack. The account will be used to pay the funeral expenses of Elora with additional funds being used for the medical expenses of Susan and Luke.

Funds will also be used for family travel expenses. Any funds left over will go to a trust for Luke.

To make a contribution to the fund, stop by any branch of First Tennessee or call 423 757-4011.

Or visit the First Tennessee Bank website
    www.firsttennessee.com

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    From Chattanoogan.com;

...He thanked the media "for treating this delicate situation with all the respect and honor it deserves."

Maybe some of the folks here could follow suit instead of using this tragic death as a soapbox.

Rest in peace little lady.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I doubt that bear would have attacked a group of adults if they knew what to do during a bear encounter. I think if I was bringing small children into the woods I would talk to them about what to do and not do if we see a bear and have bear spray along. Chances are 1 in a million you ever get to use it but it would probably save your child. Sounds like the bear wanted food and bear spray would have been enough to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Maybe some of the folks here could follow suit instead of using this tragic death as a soapbox.

Rest in peace little lady.
    Well said Alligator. My thoughts exactly.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

And not one person has even mentioned the true danger in the woods south of Virginia......fire ants! Coming soon to a meadow near you.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Your post would make more sense if I had ever suggested that anyone shouldn't hike because of bears. I never even implied that. Regarding your analogy of driving, my position would be akin to suggesting that you wear your seat belt. Jack Tarlin ( and co.) are basically telling you not to wear your seat belt, there is no danger of ever crashing and getting injured, and your a chicken if you buckle up, and acknowledge the rules of the road.

Misunderstood your position, this makes more sense, and I agree we should always be aware of our surroundings. I was merely alluding to the fact that certain things are simply out of our hands...and dwelling on this does no good. Be educated and informed...and if a situation arises then deal with it.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Default On Why Mr Bear Attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Mosey
    According to the news that I heard this morning, it's still not known what factors might have caused the bear to attack. My thoughts and condolences are with the family....very tragic.
    Sorry folks,I just had to weigh in on why Mr Bear attacked.
    1.He is a predator
    2.He was hungry as it is still early in the spring
    3.He may have felt threatened by the people
    4.He attacked the children because they were small and easy(see
    reason # 1)
    5.He succeeded because the other mature adult homosapiens were not
    prepared to deal with his assault-even though such assaults are admittedly very very rare.
    6.The adults were not prepared to deal with the assault because of peer
    pressure and denial.They and their friends do not condone firearms on the trail(nor do I for that matter) and they did not have anything else,like BEARSPRAY, to use because they were afraid they would be laughed at by their peers. They used sticks and threw a few rocks which was all they could find to use once the emergency presented itself.
    7.Because they forgot the Boyscout rule and were unprepared a beautiful
    little child is dead,her brother is seriously injured, and the mother will be
    traumatized for the rest of her days.
    8.Now we are all very sad that it happened but the fact will now and forever remain-it did.
    OFT
    Keep on keeping on.

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    April 17, 2006 04:48 AM CDT

NASHVILLE (AP) -- The US Forest Service captured a black bear Sunday, and they believe it is the one that killed a girl in a Tennessee park Thursday. A spokeswoman said the bear will be euthanized. Its body will then be sent to experts who'll determine if it's the bear that killed the girl and injured two members of her family.

According to the spokeswoman, the bear is the same size as the killer bear. She also pointed out that aren't many bears in the area that was quarantined after the attack.

The family had been at a pool below a waterfall in the Cherokee National Forest on Thursday afternoon when the bear attacked, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said. The 350- to 400-pound bear killed the 6-year-old girl, and critically injured her mother and 2-year-old brother.

Sources at Bellevue Hospital identified the mother as Sue Cenkus, an employee at the hospital. The family reportedly lives in Clyde, Ohio, about 40 miles east of Toledo. The hospital released a statement, saying in part that the hospital extends its deepest sympathies, and the family remains in its prayers.

Witnesses said the bear snatched up the boy in its mouth as the mother and other visitors at the Chilhowee campground tried to fend it off with sticks and rocks. The girl ran away, but was later found dead about 100 yards down a trail. When her body was found, a bear was standing over her, authorities said.

It's been reported that one of the rescue squad members who responded to the emergency fired a shot at the bear from a small caliber handgun -- but, because there was no blood, it was unclear if the bear was hit. Officials said the shot caused the bear to run away.

Officials are still trying to piece together exactly what happened to spur the attack. Rangers said the animal might have been suffering from a disease that affected its behavior. "It's a pretty rare thing, black bears generally don't attack people," said park ranger Monty Williams.

The mother and boy were listed in critical condition Friday at a Chattanooga hospital, but both are expected to recover. The boy had puncture wounds on his head and claw marks on his body. The mother also suffered puncture wounds when she was picked up and dragged by the bear.

The attack occurred in an isolated mountainous area, 10 miles from the nearest highway, in the 640,000-acre national forest, which runs along the Tennessee-North Carolina line southwest of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Authorities first tried to search the rugged terrain for the bear, but called off that effort early Friday to concentrate on trying to trap the animal in a 1,000-acre area around the campground.

The campground had only six of its 88 campsites filled at the time of the attack, officials said. Terry McDonald of the US Forest Service said the family members were believed to be day visitors, not overnight campers. The campground was evacuated after the attack.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Moral of the story:

Don't bring sticks and rocks to a bear fight, bring a gun.

If only the mother had been properly armed, her child, and the bear might be alive today.

Let's all learn this lesson, and apply it in the future.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    Moral of the story:
    Don't bring sticks and rocks to a bear fight, bring a gun.
    If only the mother had been properly armed, her child, and the bear might be alive today.
    Let's all learn this lesson, and apply it in the future.

Sick person...

Panzer

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++