WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Ah the Seabag duffle, the ultimate newbie gear.
    He was still on the trail at Stecoh Gap, with his machete and 2 qt plastic thermos.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/28/15-4/5/15):

443 hikers currently on their way to ME with 266 starting from FS42
    281 hikers to destinations somewhere between GA and Me with 148 starting from FS42
    70 hikers started on 3/28 and 3/39 (Sat and Sun) (70 each day!)
    63 started on 4/1 - April Fools is still a busy day and it was on Wed this yr
    22 dogs
    11 WhiteBlazers - where was everyone?

3 guys picking up trash on their journey (brought two big bags down incl a heavy, rectangular sleeping bag)
    2 families with small children (Biff Network and Hiker Family - 15 hikers total)
    1 barefoot hiker
    1 hiker from Key West doing Eastern Continental Trail and another that started in FL
    1 hiker/runner with 45 days to do the trail with support - said he was not going for the record though

There was one bear sighting near the summit of Springer. One night some hikers camped at the summit but were not visited by bear.

Josh from Hiker Hostel counted 44 cars on 3/28. It was very busy.

No flat tires this year but did see one with a busted transmission pan. 4x4 wrecker retrieved car for $125. Driver of the car said he wasn't driving too fast but he hit a pothole and leaked transmission fluid all the way to the parking area. Later in the week, one of the shuttlers informed me that the car was repaired and back on road by the end of the same day.

FS42 did have alot of potholes but driving slowly should avoid most. GPS seems to send most to the parking area via FS77. FS77 is not the preferred route for access. Everyone seems to make it ok, but it is steep and usually deeply rutted in places. Highly suggest to do research prior to arriving and take FS42 instead (most drivers leave the parking area via FS42 . . . . ).

I did see numerous hikers that had registered with ATC prior to starting. They had a placard (AT on one side and Leave No Trace ethics on the other) attached to their packs identifying them as such. I didn't know what it was initially. If it is used again next yr, I'll try to pay more attention to it. Some hikers did not receive it in time though.

On Friday, 3/27, there were 802 signed in at Amicalola Falls SP Visitor Center. On Sunday, 4/5, there were 1028 signed in. My stats from this year have 60% starting from FS42. I'm sure someone can come up with a formula for that, but I figure approx 2200-2300 are heading to ME.

Although I think I had the two coldest nights since I have been going down, overall the weather was really good this year. It was 22f (per vehicle) in the morning on 3/28 and 3/29. Very cold days but the sun was out. It rained most of the day on Thu, 4/2 and there were a couple of nights with thunderstorms. Otherwise the sun shined quite a bit. I'm sure more than a few hikers were not prepared for 20f nights though! brrrrr

Good Luck to everyone that is still out there! See you when you get to TN.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

norovirus awareness

4 days to get to kneels gap? Are you guys crawling?..

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    In 2007 I attempted and got just outside of front royal. I had to stop because I was doing too many miles in too short of a time and my already 'bad' knees didn't want to do anymore. I was 19 at the time, and now I am 27.
    So, after almost 1000 miles you got injured but you would suggest inexperienced hikers (who have zero miles) to hike more miles than they comfortably can . . . especially at the beginning when very few hikers have 'hiker legs'?!?

At the beginning of the trail, the hikers that can make big miles without getting injured or being sore all over, are hikers that KNOW they can do the miles. And that is very, very few hikers. The guy this year that has 45 days to do the trail, I'm sure he KNOWS his abilities and probably made it past Neel Gap on day One.

Hikers should take it slow in the beginning. When I ask how far someone plans for the day, frequently I'm told "I'll get to Hawk Mountain Shelter and see how I feel . . . ". I wonder how many regret the decision to move on after climbing Sassafras, in the heat of the afternoon and without water . . .

I usually suggest to hikers that if they get to the shelter or campsite early, to set up camp, and just enjoy watching all the other hikers arrive . . . They can ease their body into the everyday rigors of hiking all day, every day . . . it probably takes most hikers 2-3 weeks before they get their 'hiker legs'.

Good Luck with the rest of your hike.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Thanks much for all the info and advice from everyone (and especially all the info from mountain squid!) Starting to think I might adjust my start date by a few days.

All of a sudden Thursday's are sounding really good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tue, Wed or Thu are probably the least busy days to start. Unless it is the 1st, 15th, 20th of Mar or April 1st. Those days are always busy regardless of the day of the week.

Of course, after 'The Movie' comes out it might be busy every day . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/26/16-4/2/16):

331 hikers currently on their way to ME with 151 starting from FS42
    404 hikers to destinations somewhere between GA and ME with 219 starting from FS42
    128 sectioners started on 4/2 (Saturday and I think that's the most I've seen start on one day)
    52 thrus started on 4/2
    40 thrus started on 4/1 (fewest since 2010)

33 blue tags indicating prior registration with ATC
    17 dogs
    3 skipped the top of Springer
    only 3 WhiteBlazers
    1 barefooter (I heard there was another one on the Approach with very heavy pack)
    1 hiker attempting to be the youngest solo hiker
    a whole bunch of military type ALICE packs
    zero bear incidents

Thru hiker numbers were way down this year (not overall, just during my time there) but section hiker numbers were up. I suspect the ATC Registration process was successful in evenly distributing everyone. Very surprised that only 40 started on April Fools Day. The section hiker total for 4/2 makes me wonder how many stayed at Hawk Mountain Shelter or the new tent sites .5 mile before. (I left a day early because I wasn't feeling well on Sunday, so my numbers would have increased some.)

On 3/31, at 1600, 1151 had signed in with Amicalola Falls SP. Last year on 4/5 there were 1028 signed in, so definitely an increase overall.

The weather wasn't too bad. A couple of cold mornings in the 30s, a couple of rainy days, some typical thick fog. The wind was the worst however, especially on 4/2 (Saturday and Saturday night). I don't recall it being worse.

The parking area had some new signs including a 14 day parking limit. Not sure how they'll monitor that. Counted 43 cars on 4/2, Sat ... it was very busy!

Hope everyone's hike is going well ... Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    twitter

If you struggle to put on your backpack, you're (probably) carrying too much!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    404 hikers to destinations somewhere between GA and ME with 219 starting from FS42
    128 sectioners started on 4/2 (Saturday and I think that's the most I've seen start on one day)
    I just don't get it.

2,000 miles of trail (except what is still closed), why does everyone what to be part of a mob in Georgia?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm always scratching my head over why hikers choose to hike GA during the busy time. And every year there are several large groups.

There must be some unknown convenience factor ....

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

I'm always scratching my head over why hikers choose to hike GA during the busy time. And every year there are several large groups.

There must be some unknown convenience factor ....

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    It's all about the timing and the weather. There are good reasons the traditional thru hike is NOBO starting in late March or Early April. The only disadvantage is that so many other people also want to do a thru hike in recent years. Maybe we should have kept it a secret.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's all about the timing and the weather. There are good reasons the traditional thru hike is NOBO starting in late March or Early April. The only disadvantage is that so many other people also want to do a thru hike in recent years. Maybe we should have kept it a secret.
    Uhhh, yeah. I know why thru hikers start in April. I was referring to the 128 section hikers as WingedMonkey did in the previous post. With so many places to hike, why do so many section hikers still choose to hike during the busy time for thru hikers in GA? Probably most of the section hikers don't realize how crowded it will be during this time frame...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Uhhh, yeah. I know why thru hikers start in April. I was referring to the 128 section hikers as WingedMonkey did in the previous post. With so many places to hike, why do so many section hikers still choose to hike during the busy time for thru hikers in GA? Probably most of the section hikers don't realize how crowded it will be during this time frame...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    or they wan to join the party, for some reason. or they somehow feel like at the beginning at the time when people begin is the "right" way to start a section hike for some odd reason. people who insist on beginning their section hikes (ie, as their first AT section hike of a possible planned eventual completing of the trail) at springer (or katahdin) are curious to me in general. i wonder how many people who go to springer to hike the first however many miles one weekend ever go back for a second weekend, let alone ever finish the whole trail by any method and in any sequence. seems to me like a severely overused section of the trail for no real good reason.

Mountain Squid, I love your statistics and it was really nice meeting you on my first day last year (I'm one of the April 1st people). Thanks for the honey bun! The statistics are really interesting to me.

A lot of section hikers may start out on Springer in the busiest days to support their friends who are attempting a thru. I had a few section hiker friends early on the trail last year where that was the case.

I've joined the wannabe thru hikers in April to do the Springer to Marion VA section a number of times. I think it's the best time of year to do that section with the cool temps, no worries about water and with all the wild flowers and trees blooming. I suppose many of the other section hikers go there at that time for the same reasons. I was lucky enough to do all those hikes before it got so totally crazy and now that it has, I may not ever do that trip again as it would just add to the chaos. Too bad since spring in New England isn't nearly as good, fall is when you want to be up here.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did a section hike from AFSP to Neels back in mid April 2010. I think I met Mr. Squid in the Springer Mtn parking lot. I just wanted to "experience" the craziness. I wasn't disappointed. Quite a mix of "interesting" hikers. Athough I'm sure I was just as "interesting" to many of them. I had a blast despite the crowded shelters, overflowing privvys, and circuis-like atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I did a section hike from AFSP to Neels back in mid April 2010. I think I met Mr. Squid in the Springer Mtn parking lot. I just wanted to "experience" the craziness. I wasn't disappointed. Quite a mix of "interesting" hikers. Athough I'm sure I was just as "interesting" to many of them. I had a blast despite the crowded shelters, overflowing privvys, and circuis-like atmosphere.
    Thank you, at least you are honest in why you were there.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

hmmm I wonder who has the 5# pack? (see the picture)

They seem to be having fun! (mostly)

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    My gf and I met the Kallin family at a Maine Huts and trails event Sponsored by the Nature Conservancy last year. I wish I had known they were through hikers. I should have known by how fast they all hiked. The weekend was interesting. Next day I watched one of the videos by Squatch and he interviewed them and I almost fell out of my chair when I recognized them. They were also in a series of photograghic portraits taken in New York that was being promoted by the ATC on Facebook tonight, and now this post. It's getting too weird.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/24/17-4/3/17):

493 hikers currently on their way to Maine with 230 starting from FS42 (47%)
    353 hikers currently on their way to somewhere in between GA and ME with 205 starting from FS42 (58%)
    283 day hikers (I'm sure this number is way off ...)
    105 section hikers started on 4/1
    73 thrus started on 4/2
    72 thrus started on 4/1 Saturday
    65 thrus started on 3/28 surprising for a Tuesday
    3 SOBOs finished their hikes - Congrats!

88 yellow tags indicating prior online registration with ATC (I'm sure there were more)
    21 dogs including 1 chihuahua
    11 WhiteBlazers
    9 German hikers
    5 Swiss hikers
    2 from Denmark, Canada and Australia and 1 from England
    2 abandoned backpacks at various places
    2 hikers with one leg and 1 hiker with one arm
    1 barefoot hiker
    1 skateboard - don't ask me?!?
    1 school bus - I guess they made it ok

It was very busy on April 1st, not only did 177 hikers begin their hikes, but 'A Walk in the Woods, part 2' began filming near Stover Creek Shelter ....

No major vehicle problems but one hiker locked his keys in the car. After unsuccessful attempts to open door with cars antenna had to be rescued by parents with spare key. Another vehicle thought he might run out of gas.

Outside Magazine was doing some interviews and research for an article. There was also a couple of photographers taking photos and videos of hikers. They may show up at Trail Days. There was also a 70 mile, 24 hour, race through the mountains nearby. I heard Karl Meltzer came in 3rd...

Saw the typical heavy packs with numerous items dangling from the outside. The lightest claimed weight was 18#.

On 3/24, at 1700, there were 1200 signed in at Amicalola Falls SP. On 4/3, at 1345, 1522 had signed in at Amicalola Falls SP.

Overall it was a good time down in GA. The weather was also typical - several nighttime thunderstorms, very foggy days, low temps were in the 50s (no real cold nights) with a few days in the 70s.

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone! See you in TN and at Trail Days!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

twitter

...A Walk in the Woods part 2? Are you kidding?

Journal Entries

177 hikers on april 1

Remember when no one could believe 50

Georgia permits coming
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-06-2017 at 08:23.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++