WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Default Granite Gear VT Modification

Please move if this is the wrong forum to post.

After my last overnight, I think that the VT is almost to small. I know idealy I would get a new pack, but I like the way the VT feels and it isn't in the budget.

Has anyone added an exterior compartment onto their pack? I am thinking something out of either a netting or nylon. All I need to put into it is my McCat hammock tarp (possibly in snake skins) and my rain gear. These are thing that I would need easy access to, and would open up enough room inside my pack for everything else.

Has anyone tried this, have any reasons not to, or any suggestions?

Images

Granite gear makes pockets that attach via the compression straps.

Images

The Ultralight lid is the next purchase for my VT. At three ounces it's not bad, quick access to your goodies, and provides protection for the opening.

Cheers,
    Chris
    http://www.granitegear.com/products/...lid/index.html

Ahhh, The Pockets are just what I need. I think that would work better than the lid. The lid might not be big enough.

Thanks for the input.

Shouldn't be too hard to add someting too the back. Like webbing or something. Note that I say not "too hard" assuming you've done this sort of thing before. I never have. I have a VT though and, while I don't think it's too small, it would be nice to have exterior pockets I could use without taking off the pack.

On a side note, when I first started reading this post, I glanced over it and thought you were saying that VERMONT was too small. For a second there I was thinking, "well now, aren't we hard core?" :-)

Images

you should be able to sew some small loops on the back of the pack, maybe 8 of them, about 4-6'' apart, in two columns about a foot apart... that will give you a rectangle about 12'' wide and about 12-18'' high. get some round elastic cord and weave it through the loops, add a cord lock, and you'll have something to hold a wet tarp or rain gear.

walmart sells mesh (like a football jersey is made from) on their dollar rack, and you could sew that on too, with an elastic thing like i just described over the top of it to hold it all in, but with the jersey material keeping it from sliding out the bottom, if you're worried about that.

Images

I just did this to my GG VT. Found a mesh bag the correct size to fit along the back within the compression straps. Sewed on 4 tabs for the 2 compression straps to go through so it can't fall off. I plan to carry my hammock tarp and raingear in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker
    On a side note, when I first started reading this post, I glanced over it and thought you were saying that VERMONT was too small. For a second there I was thinking, "well now, aren't we hard core?" :-)
    That's funny. I may be a hard core wuss, but that is about it. Then again, we could add a couple more miles to Vermont and make it interesting.

Could you reduce what is in your pack? Everyone has thier own style of course, I'm just trowing it out there. I have known hikers that moved to higher volume packs and I always thought that they could just mail some things home.
    You could also move stuff like thermarests and tents to the outside of your pack. using the staps already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by madmantra
    Could you reduce what is in your pack? Everyone has thier own style of course, I'm just trowing it out there. I have known hikers that moved to higher volume packs and I always thought that they could just mail some things home.
    You could also move stuff like thermarests and tents to the outside of your pack. using the staps already in place.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I really do not have anything I feel cormfortable getting rid off. I ordered 2 of the external pockets. Getting my rain gear and tarp on the outside is going to give me more than enough room.

The only things with a lot of volume left are my sleeping bag, hammock with underquilt, water filter, clothes, and food. With my clothes consisting of long underwear tops and bottom, 2 pairs hiking socks, 100 weight fleece, and sleeping shorts. And I do not like the idea of going without my filter.

++ New Posts ++