WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need my fly to be alot tighter on my HH

I spent 2 hours last night trying to set up my hh exp asym. I could never get the fly tight. Especially when I sat in the hammock. The way i set it up is that i would pull the main hammock line very tight. guy out the sides of the fly and then pull the fly tight on the center line last.

It would seem that this baby would flopp all over the place in 2 mph winds.

Can i please get some advice on this subject? I purchased the supershelter and will leave for 10 days on May 5th and i'm getting concerned.

Thanks!

Images

Default How to get a tight Fly on a Hennessy Hammock

DO NOT use the hooks on the prussick knots on the hammock cords!!!!!

Tie the fly separately to the trees.

If you use the prussick hooks, when you sit or lay in the hammock the hammock sags and shortens the ridgeline. Your tarp will always sag.
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Default question

do i untie these prussicks from the main line completely and then attatch an additional line to the tarp? can you give me some more information, best practices etc? thanks very much!

You can leave the prussiks as drip strings or to hang things from. Get new cord and tie the tarp directly to the tree. You can even tie the tarp below the level where you attach it to the hammock to the tree to improve coverage.

Check here for ways to stay warm:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Smee]DO NOT use the hooks on the prussick knots on the hammock cords!!!!! Tie the fly separately to the trees.
    ========================================
    That's what I do. I just took some lightweight braided nylon line and tied it to the the endloops on the fly and then tied it out separately to the trees ..at whatever level I want.

Nice thing about that system is that you place the fly first, so if it's raining you essentially establish your overhead shelter first. Then your gear stays dry while you're tying up the hammock. Especially nice in the morning if it's raining because you just reverse the order of things and you stay dry while packing up.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Ok

Ok cool. sorry im at work and i forgot how the knots are actually seperate from the fly. LOL.

Ok. I understand. I have some extra nylon rope too so ill try that tonight. thanks fellas!

or if you are with someone else you could lie in it and have them adjust it for you and then do the same for them. but if you arent with someone else i'd tie it up by itself
    Brian

Images

You might also find that the ridge of the tarp never gets very taut. This seems to happen with the Hennessy stock tarps. I've heard it explained that it's the way the material is cut. My stock HH fly always has ridges along the top, no matter how tight I have it set up (I always tie to the trees).

This does allow it to flap a bit, but hasn't yet been a problem for me. Don't forget that there are lots of aftermarket tarps out there and that you can also make your own just how you want it.

Have fun on your trip and let us know how everything worked out for you.

++ New Posts ++