WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I do not think Mahoosuc Notch is the hardest mile. I can think of several steep ups that are more physically demanding. It might be the slowest, but it is not the most physically demanding. I thought it was fun and was a bit sad when it was over. I would rate the climb up Hall after coming down Moody as the hardest I have faced. The problem with Hall if you are SOBO, is that between Bemis and Hall you go over Old Blue, go down 2000', and then over Moody. Moody is a bad down because of the rough trail. A lot depends on the direction you are traveling.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

In terms of personal challenge, this question is similar to "what is the hardest marathon?"
    The answer is "your first one".

I think that's why a lot of NOBO hikers thought GA was hard: it was their first.

A better question, easier to answer, might be what single day has the greatest elevation change?
    There are single days on the AT that have elevation change of more than 8,000 feet, maybe 10,000 depending on how far you go that day.
    And it's not just climb that's important. Steep downhills are where you are more likely to get injured.

I think without question the hardest section is Gorham to Andover.

The M-Notch is not hard. Its slow. There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think without question the hardest section is Gorham to Andover.

The M-Notch is not hard. Its slow. There's a difference.
    Oh boy. Another "hard" section. I am always looking for a challenge. Can't wait to see. Thanks for the heads up.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Cool, a seven year argument on the internet, who would have thunk

It's like football "on any given day"

The hardest section is the one that kicks your butt on any given day. I have hiked sections that I thought were easy one time and a serious butt kicker the next time.

Don't worry about what is hard or easy, just go hike.

On the PCT there are a lot of people who have done the AT. I asked everybody if they thought Southern Maine or the high Sierras was harder. Universal answer..... Southern Maine! Although this was a low snow year, I think the answer would have been different in 2011.

The Entire Presidential Range was the hardest section for me, on all of my Completed Thru-Hikes.
    The hardest single climb was Climbing Blue Mountain from Leigh Gap or the last three miles on Katahdan those two are tide in my oppinion.
    The easiest section is from Harpers Ferry North through Maryland to the PA state line.

Journal Entries

The toughest I've been on was the Allen Gap to Camp Creek Bald 0n NC/Tn border. Maybe it was a bad day, but it was hot and humid and after passing Little Laurel shelter, it liked to have killed me up to the bald. Easiest Springer Mtn to Long Creek falls. I think it depends on what day it is.

Georgia in march, ice sleet, and a lack of switch backs but I enjoyed every minute it.

1. Southern Maine

2. The Whites

3. NOC to Newfound Gap

The hardest section of the AT is that 2170 mile piece between Springer Mt GA and Mt Katahdin ME. On the other hand, the easiest section of the AT is that 2170 mile section between Springer Mt GA and Mt Katahdin ME. It's all subjective. No right or wrong answer for everyone. If you were asking this same question 5 yrs from now and everything about the AT stayed the same you'd likely never reach a definitive consensus. It's relative.

I hardest 'miles' were the Cumberland Valley roadwalk in PA...long gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Cool, a seven year argument on the internet, who would have thunk

It's like football "on any given day"

The hardest section is the one that kicks your butt on any given day. I have hiked sections that I thought were easy one time and a serious butt kicker the next time.

Don't worry about what is hard or easy, just go hike.
    Ditto. I find it similar to all those who Lotus 123 super analyze elevation profiles, gram weenie their kits, and/or the AT in general. Sometimes(maybe often) we make backpacking more complicated than need be. Some of us are holding on too tight. I realized this about myself a long time ago. I've been learning to unlearn what I was taught should be the way to think about long distance hiking. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sometimes(maybe often) we make backpacking more complicated than need be.
    it's just walkin'

Ditto. I find it similar to all those who Lotus 123 super analyze elevation profiles, gram weenie their kits, and/or the AT in general. Sometimes(maybe often) we make backpacking more complicated than need be. Some of us are holding on too tight. I realized this about myself a long time ago. I've been learning to unlearn what I was taught should be the way to think about long distance hiking. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

This kind sir is an insightful a response as I've read on this site.
    “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.”
    ― Aldous Huxley

Well, nothing like a loaded question here, eh?! With that being said; there are several sections that qualify as the "toughest" on the AT, it all depends on what time of year it is, your physical fitness level and mental toughness, and lastly what you consider to be tough! There are so many opinions here that I think you may never be able to get a real defining answer to your question. Some people say PA is because of the rocks; blarney I say! Some folks say the Whites are tough, nonsense. Some say that southern Maine is or for a SOBO all of ME is the toughest for SOBO and NOBO alike; maybe. Some say the dreaded state of VA is; I got the blues a bit, but still no. Some believe CT can be a challenge due to the constant elevation gain and loss, not really in my experience. Picking up what I'm putting down? Good luck on the hike but please do yourself a favor, stop worrying about the toughest and focus on the steady.

Images

Toughest for me so far in 500 miles of sections was going down Mt. Garfield in rain and mist. Scary stuff.

NH 018.jpg

The Mahoosuc's were very tough in Maine and I still have scars from the escape to this day.

However, it took me three days to get out of Hot Springs, NC due to the dangerous curves encountered. No scars, only the most pleasant of memories.

Datto

Just gotta repeat something I remember from a shelter log in Vermont. The toughest climb (and in this case section), is the one you're going up now.

A lot of this is in your mindset at the time. The Creeper section near Damascus sucked because I just wasn't in the mood and the aches were getting to me. Yet, I found nothing in Maine too hard at all- mainly I think because I never had a really bad mental day up there.
    KBO, Ducky

2010 complete

I agree with a former poster in that it has to do with conditions. The hardest thing that I have ever done in MY LIFE is to climb Mt Washington in the sleeting snow with 70 mph winds. Then climbing Wildcat in torrential rains almost made me hang up my boots forever. Getting stuck in the 3 foot mud hole north of Gorham shook me up. At this point I don't think that I will ever hike in the Whites again! I loved the Notch. It was an obstacle course. I enjoyed the roller coaster.
    As far as the easiest, there is a 4-8 mile stretch in the wilderness which reminded me of a park stroll and the first 10 miles of Baxter State Park was easy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++