WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

We hikers appreciate the bind you are in and than you for your understanding.

Hmmm, I'm not Catholic, so maybe I won't need a licence from the Pope either....
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Permits, etc.

Permits, and the like are handled by the local juristiction. So, if you are considering opening a hostel, see what is required in your locality.

I recall talking with the owner of Gull Pond B & B in Rangely. His preference is to stay below the radar. So, he limits the number of hikers he can take in (just a few each night), so he doesn't need a license or permit, and doesn't serve any thing hot for breakfast so the health department doesn't bother him.

Default Getting the word out...

Cassandra--

I heard from another hiker site that at least one hiker presently on the Trail is aware of the situation at Tellico Gap and has been putting this in trail registers and notebooks as she goes along; hopefully, by the time most folks get to the Gap, they'll be aware of what the situation is. Of course, it couldn't hurt to post a good sized sign at the Gap, or maybe just before it, telling people what's going on.

Sorry you had to go thru all this; hope it doesn't put you off hikers for life, and I hope this is resolved soon.

Jack -

Thanks to all of you for spreading the word!

The forest service has sent their regional guys out to walk the trail and inform people, also. The local Nantahala Club is also on alert.

I am quite a distance from that section of the trail, so I cannot get a sign up, and anyway, I think my brother would take it down. Maybe I can ask the Nantahala Club to try. They are stewards of this section of the trail.

I am not turned of of hikers in any way. When I am there I always make brownies and head out for a little trail magic. Some of my dear friends are people I met right there on the trail. Can you believe my little girls first hiking boots (size 3 months) were sent to her by a thru hiking couple I met for 1 hour! Special people.

Default Tellico Gap Hostel

We have asked the new managers of Rainbow Springs to post
    a notice in the store about the closing of Tellico Gap Hostel, just in case some hikers have not been told about the situation. Cassandra, we are very sorry to hear what your brother has done to you and your property. For all of those wanting to open a hostel along the Trail when they retire, feel free to contact us privately with any questions. Jensine & Buddy, former owners of
    Rainbow Springs Campground.

Representatives from the United States Forest Service (USFS) and Appalachian Trail Conference (ATC) have agreed to take calls regarding the ownership of the property at Tellico Gap where the CLOSED "alleged" hostel is located.

Feel free to call them during regular business hours:

USFS: Morgan Summerville, USFS Asheville Region, 828-254-3708

ATC: Bob Williams, Director of Land Trust Programs, 304-535-6331
    or Laurie Potteiger, Coordinator of Visitor Services same number as Williams 304-535-6331

This note was posted on at-l yesterday.

[email protected] [email protected]
    Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:58:42 -0500

Just received this from Jan regarding Tellico....

Hi Amy
    Tell anyone who cares that i was at Tellico Gap hostel today, walked in this morning for some free waffles and coffee. They were closing the place down, and I got the last of the waffles and coffee. I just stopped in out of curiosity, and got fed. While I was there, the power was turned off. A fellow named Lindy, who I know from ALDHA Gatherings, was there helping his budd=
    y The Waffle King close it down.
    I'm in NOC tonite. Make those reservations early! No room in the Inn tonite due to spring breakers.

Images

Does this mean it was still being operated as a hostle up until yesterday?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Tellico Gap hostel is CLOSED! Has been! Anything Ron Vaughn has been doing for the last years has been a felony! Anyone there is trespassing. So, NO, it''s not open. At least not legally. Beware of police patrols and arrests.

Images

Roger, I understand it was supposed that. I understand it was supposed to be closed and not used anymore. But the message sounded like he was still doing it against your wishes. I guess that was my question. At least now it should be a non-issue.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-14-2003 at 17:10.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++