WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maine Float Plane Service

1. What's the nearest waterbody to Katahdin that a float plane might drop one off?

2. What waterbodies in Maine close to the AT might make for a good dropoff point?

3. Anybody ever done something like this?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    1. What's the nearest waterbody to Katahdin that a float plane might drop one off?
    pemadumcook lake probably? i think daicy pond might be too small?
    (pure speculation of course, i've never heard of or done this myself).

Rainbow Lake.
    Last edited by attroll; 06-09-2006 at 19:02.

in answer to # 3 above, a former maintainer for a section near this area used to fly in each year to maintain a section of trail, so yes it has been done before. I also remember seeing someone post (last year if I recall correctly) that they had done exactly what you are asking: flown in to somewhere in this area to start their hike.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac
    in answer to # 3 above, a former maintainer for a section near this area used to fly in each year to maintain a section of trail, so yes it has been done before. I also remember seeing someone post (last year if I recall correctly) that they had done exactly what you are asking: flown in to somewhere in this area to start their hike.
    yep. someone was inquiring info about this same thing. not sure who.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Pemadumcook. Nearest float plane is on Ambajejus (Part of Pema on the Golden Road) Lake, where Katahdin Flying Service has a dock. They fly into Jo-Mary and let hikers off at Antler's Campsite. Daicey Pond is in the Park, so no planes are allowed to land. It's plenty big enough, though. Currier's and Folsom's are bigger outfits out of Greenville and have more flights.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

TJ

There were float planes landing on Rainbow lake when I hiked there two years ago. The is the first Lake you will hit heading south once out to the Park. Rainbow Lake it about 6 to 8 miles south on the AT from Abol bridge.

Alligator what are you actually trying to get float plane service for. This might let us narrow it down for you.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

on SEP 1st of last year when I passed thru Abol Bridge there was a plane docked on the lake there, with pontoons on it

I wasn't looking for anything in the immediate future. I once checked into getting a float plane to canoe the Allagash. I remembered it would cost about $300 or so. People are always wondering how to get to Katahdin, especially from Bangor, so I thought it would make an interesting thread. If it didn't cost a lot more, it might make for a fun extra piece anyway.

And if folks have done #2 above, it might also make for a nice trip. Like getting dropped a week out from Katahdin, and finishing up there.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    on SEP 1st of last year when I passed thru Abol Bridge there was a plane docked on the lake there, with pontoons on it
    That does not mean it was not a private plan. There are also private float planes in the area.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    TJ

There were float planes landing on Rainbow lake when I hiked there two years ago. The is the first Lake you will hit heading south once out to the Park. Rainbow Lake it about 6 to 8 miles south on the AT from Abol bridge.
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking nearest service, not landing spot. And you're right, there are often planes tied up at Abol Bridge campground - so that's really the closest!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Talking nearest plane

i balieve pushaw lake in glenburn me is the nearest float plane service to bangor. it is only 5-10 min. from bangor int.

Default the pilot told me abol bridge.

i spoke with him 16 years ago or so .give or take five years. but thats what he said. yep.and it was around 300 bucks back then. they pick you up at the airport and drive you to a pond where they launch from.its a pipe dream of alot of thru hikers i imagine. i used to dream up tons of different possible thru hikes as a kid. then i would work out all the details on paper. me and that pencil walked alot of walks on that paper.and i swor id hike the trail forever .next year im going revenge hiking .for all the hikeless years.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

When hiking the 100-Mile Wilderness last year, a fellow hiker & I took a float plane ride to start the trip with Katahdin Air. We took off from a pond on the Milinocket end and landed at Spectacle Pond, which was about a tenth of a mile from the start of the 100-Mile Wilderness in Monson.

It cost us $85 per person and was completely worth it -- we hiked the 100-Mile mainly in the rain so our flight was one of the few views we had of the area. I would highly recommend doing this!

Katahdin Air's website is http://www.katahdinair.com

- Ivy

That's a pretty responsible 100 mile shuttle, considering you're getting dropped off by plane. Also, shuttle time is greatly reduced. A car drop of that length could easily take more than 1/2 a day. Thanks for the info Ivy.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by poison_ivy
    When hiking the 100-Mile Wilderness last year, a fellow hiker & I took a float plane ride to start the trip with Katahdin Air.
    Yes! What Ivy said.

I'd like to use a float plane shuttle when I paddle the Allagash too. I would expect that 100 +/- mile ride to be more expensive, though, since my canoe is quite a bit larger than my backpack.
    - Tramper Al

++ New Posts ++