WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint
    Are cereal bars not good substitutes? I have like 4 different brands and tons of different flavors that I like. They're much cheaper than the Luna, Cliff, Powerbars of the world at $2 - $2.50 a box for 8 or 10. I was planning on using these....don't they provide enough nutrition?
    The cereal bars generally don't contain as much protein but hey! if you like 'em, eat 'em.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I have a local place where I can get Cliff Bars, Lunas, and Powerbars for 10 cents each. They are slightly out of date, but they work. Not many of the locals know what they are.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coldspring
    I have a local place where I can get Cliff Bars, Lunas, and Powerbars for 10 cents each. They are slightly out of date, but they work. Not many of the locals know what they are.
    10 cents each? Do tell! Is this in Missouri only? Show me!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint
    Are cereal bars not good substitutes? I have like 4 different brands and tons of different flavors that I like. They're much cheaper than the Luna, Cliff, Powerbars of the world at $2 - $2.50 a box for 8 or 10. I was planning on using these....don't they provide enough nutrition?
    do a little research on the nutritional value of the cereal bars vs the "powerbar" stuff. There is a big difference. Its still better to make your own bars or cakes.

don't now if i missed something, but i enjoy gorp. my version includes large amuounts of dried fruit, granola, and usually m and m's, sometimes the peanut vaiety sometimes not, as a way of avoiding melted chocolate. my favorite fruit is dried cheries

http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/bear.html

I've used these when I can find them (usually at REI, though they didn't have them this spring when I bought food for my Georgia section hike). I like the Fruit 'N Nut best.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

he didnt specifically say it had to be a bar. other good options include bringing fruit

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

fig neutons, work

Images

Whatever happened to the old Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars? When I first started backpacking in the 70's, they were my favorite.

Images

I just found these great bars and I am so impressed.
    Talk about having all your veggies and fruits while on the trail!

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/c/nut...ar_var_kit.asp

The ReBAR is made from 20 different organic vegetables and fruits including: apple, carrot, spinach, alfalfa, cabbage,broccoli, kale, wheatgrass, celery, rosehip, parsley, cauliflower, cucumber, beets, bell pepper, collards, watercress, bok choy, tomato, and garlic. It would be nearly impossible to get all of these vegetables in your diet every day, but this bar has made it easy.

And the flavor is wonderful—very moist, and naturally sweet. Plus, the ingredients are non-pasteurized, so all of the healthy nutrients are locked in. This includes antioxidants, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, iron, potassium, calcium, beta-carotene, and trace minerals.

Then there is the Grains'n Greens blends fruits and vegetables with whole grains like kamut, brown rice, millet, and raw seeds including flax, pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame. The delicious, sweet flavor comes from dates, raisins, apples, and molasses. And like the ReBAR, it's organic, with no refined sugars.

AlsoThe Seeds’n Greens bar gives you four servings of fruits and vegetables. It contains a combination of five different seeds and a touch of honey. They’ve combined them with flavorings from plums—and one of the least-appreciated but most nutritious fruits—pomegranates. These bars are great—they’re sweet, moist, and nutty.

The Nutritional Supplement Energy Bar also has the four servings of fruits and vegetables. This time they’ve combined it with a delicious chocolate and caramel flavoring. It has a full 12 grams of vegan protein from soy, peanuts and hemp seeds, and 23 vitamins and minerals.

Anyway for anyone wanting GOOD for you ...well here is some good n plenty! Not bad at just over $2 a bar, for what you are getting.

Of course one must still travel with chocolate and good old fashion Snicker Bars right?
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Images

Roll (Bar) Your Own

Saw that in a recent magazine and figured I'd share.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I much prefer Gu or PowerGel or ClifShots. PowerBars take too long to eat.

In the more commonly available category, I like Nature Valley's Trail Mix Fruit & Nut, and their Sweet & Salty Nut Peanut Granola Bars.

The attached recipe (Dog Turds) appears in the current edition of Blue Ridge Country magazine. It was developed by a good friend who is a chemical engineer. He designed the recipe for optimal nutrition & energy.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I like the Zone Perfect bars. They are higher in protein than Cliffs and have about the same amount of carbs. They also weigh and cost less. I will try some of the recepies and make my own though.

Got the bar for you!

www.organicfoodbar.com

Raw, organic 300 calories + each bar, keep forever, yummy and delicious!
    You can also get their active green bars, great for the hut on a long hike. I would not hike without them!

Most "health bars" are acid-forming processed dead food with arfiticial sweeteners and ingredients. These bars are cold processed, enzymatically active and VEGAN. No Preservative, additive, coatings, peanuts or dairy. Gluten free.

I'll bet if you write to them they might send you a sample bar or two!
    Good rule of thumb - if you can't actually identify the ingredients on the package - don't bother putting this into your body.

It's interesting that we will never put water in our cars instead of gas when we are low on cash - but we won't spend a little $ to put pure fuel in our bodies - and then expect them to work properly.
    ad astra per aspera

Christian, Wife, Mamma, Granola Baker, AT dreamer Granola Mamma's Avatar

Um, I think I can post this as a member. Our family does granola and granola bars. We also offer a discount for WhiteBlaze members on our web site. We use organic where we can, and we do not add preservatives. The only place you'll find things like that in our bars is if it's in a specific ingredient. Like our Cookies n Cream bars actually have REAL Oreos, and tons of them too. So, if it's in Oreos, then it's in our bar, etc. We try to keep our prices low since we're just a family bakery. But we've been doing this for years and we sell to Dean and DeLuca of Charlotte and places like Grove Park Inn and Spa. We get $15 for a dozen of fresh-made bars. Our bars are not stockpiled, we make them fresh when you order them. We will be sending up granola for the hiker feed, if someone lets us know about when it is! So be sure to stop by www.hearthstringfoods.com and be sure to use your WhiteBlaze discount by entering the discount code when you check out! The code is WB2006! Hope that helps someone!

Images

Thumbs up

If you're looking for a bar thats taste just like what the package says it tastes like while getting a high cal/oz ratio, I would suggest the LARABAR. The apple pie is my favorite and all the ingerdients are raw. Dates, walnuts, raisins, almonds, cinnamon. They cannot be crushed & they are $1.29 per bar. But like someone stated before, always mix things up because becasue I get sick of any bar after a long period of time.

They sound yummy!
    ad astra per aspera

Thanx guys, but all in all, I'll stick to Snickers.

A quick comparison of a regular sSnickers compared to a Peanut Butter Power Bar reveals:

*The Snickers weighs less
    *The Snickers has more calories
    *The Snickers has more Fat, and more calories from Fat
    *The Snickers has more Sodium
    *Differences in Total Carbs, Sugars, Protein are small or negligible
    *The Snickers is more than one dollar cheaper!
    *The Snickers is available everywhere
    The Snickers sure in hell tastes better

As far as the other things go, Potassium, B12, Zinc, Magnesium, blah, blah, blah, well I get all that and more in my daily vitamin.

In short, I haven't bought a Power Bar in years, and I don't miss 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles
    I recently got hooked on Clif Builder bars. An entirely natural protein bar. http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=builders 20G of protein! More crispy than chewy. I have taken them on an multi-day hike. It was my breakfast and lunch. Gave me plenty of energy.
    This is a great bar. It has much more protein than most any. The problem with this bar and many of the Luna Bars is they will melt in your pack. No fun opening up a goowy bar. They may make some with no chocolate coating though. One thing I do is take a new product from Kashi on the trail. It is called TLC (tasty little chewies ). Very healthy and up to 7 grams protein per bar. Very small bars. I add these to my Cliff Bars. Get mine at Publix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++