WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Balaclava Pattern

Hey all

I found this free pattern last night online for a fleece balaclava. http://www.shelby.fi/kaava/403/403.php I made one this morning in about an hour using fleece scraps from my mom's sewing stash. Mind you, I'm a pretty poor seamstress so this pattern is great if all you can do is a straight stitch.

A few quirks about the instructions though. The balaclava file does not have the pattern for the top of the hat so you need to print out the first page of the tunturi hat pattern as well. Be sure to mark the lines on the top pieces like the instructions say, it just makes things easier. I did not use a flat stitch, so I just eye-balled seam allowance as I cut the pieces. Make sure to not apply any scaling on the pattern before you print, on my computer, a window comes up before I print and there is a drop-down menu that has to do with scaling.

This is how mine turned out http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...g/PICT2823.jpg.

I hope that this pattern comes in handy for someone else too. I know that balaclavas are really inexpensive to begin with, but it's still fun to make things anyway.

-Mammoth

That's pretty cool, I think I might have to try that out. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link. I did a little digging and came up with some more stuff on that site. Check it out. I might just give 301 a try.

Images

Sweet!

***Note: this added notation has been added to meet the minimum 10 character requirement ***

Images

I made one with a drawstring around the face, and a flap that can be pulled down over the nose and eyes for sleeping. My own rather odd design but it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    and a flap that can be pulled down over the nose and eyes for sleeping.
    Absolutely brilliant!!! I assume the flap just fold up and goes between your head and the outer fabric during the day?

Default I just made one also.

I had the fleece laying around and was in need of a balaclava - Thanks for the post - saved me some money. Mine is black, no liner. I have plenty of fleece and might make another for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Nice job! I made a few of these last spring out of scraps I had from making a bathrobe. I think I put the top triangles together wrong for at least one of the balaclavas, but it didn't make much difference. Fleece is nice and forgiving of small sewing mistakes, LOL!

++ New Posts ++