WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HEINIE pot question

will this thing work well with my fancy feast stove????

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

thanks in advance for your help!
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

One way to find out for sure. Get ya a Heine, cut the lid off it, empty it out in a method of your choosing, wash it out and give it a whirl. Nothing says fun like experimenting with new gear. If it doesn't work out, you've had a refreshing beverage with minimal money invested. Problem solved. You're welcome.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    One way to find out for sure. Get ya a Heine, cut the lid off it, empty it out in a method of your choosing, wash it out and give it a whirl. Nothing says fun like experimenting with new gear. If it doesn't work out, you've had a refreshing beverage with minimal money invested. Problem solved. You're welcome.
    looking for a more substantial yes or no. i am in the process of doing a trade for one of these babies...just want to make sure i can use it...

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    looking for a more substantial yes or no. i am in the process of doing a trade for one of these babies...just want to make sure i can use it...
    No, at least not well. FF is a side burner, the Heine can is too narrow for efficient heat transfer, it'll just go up the side. Whaddaya mean you are "trading" for one, you trade for crap from the recycle bin?

Images

You don't have to trade for a Heine pot.......just go buy a beer, cut the lid off and drink it. Instant pot. But if you want a direct answer, it will more likely than not work pretty well with your stove.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

anyone out there with experience with the fancy feast and the pot in question?

Images

Since you want to be all serious about it (), talk to Skidsteer, Zelph or SGT Rock. They're 3 of the many resident stove experts around here.

Thanks HOOCH. I've sent a PM to Zelph. IN the meantime, I'm still going to look for other advice from folks who potentially have used this setup...and again...thanks for all your input

Also, the sarcasm of yours makes no sense considering the fact that I would want to find out before I trade for an item I may not be able to use.

I don't have any trail miles on mine yet but I have been experimenting with several alcohol stoves and Heinie pots. I made them all and it took little effort. I probably have at least 70 to 80 uses on the pots using a half dozen different stoves.

The stove in your link appears to be a side burner stove (jets out the side). I found that the Heinie pot is too small for that type of stove and you waist most of the heat and fuel warming the air and not the pot contents. A stove with a top burner works far better.

One other observation about what I saw in that link. The pot appeared to be polished to a mirror finish. While it only makes a small difference that finish tends to reflect some of the stove heat. If the bottom of the pot is blacked out it is just a little more efficient. Only a little but every little bit helps.

As I said these are all back yard test, the trail tests/use come next.
    Tom G.
    A pack on my back and boots on my feet... Life is good!

One other thing. To use a top burner stove you'll need a pot stand. Again simple to fabricate or you can buy them on line fro a couple different sources.
    Tom G.

Thanks camp counselor. just a note....the link is only meant to provide a pic of the Heineken pot in question. the stove in question is not in the link...it is the fancy feast stove.

sorry for the confusion.

got my answer searching other threads. should work great! thanks all.

I'm quessing a heinie pot won't hold up to the rigors of a thru-hike...however, getting frequent replacements during the hike sure would be fun!

I did a quick google search. The only pics or You-Tube videos I could find quickly don't show enough detail on the cat food can stoves. Regardless of the can the stove is made from, in order to get good efficiency with Heinie pot the jets need to direct the flame up and to the center of the Heinie pot. If the flames point at the outer rim or up the sides you'll eat up a lot of fuel to get it to a biol.

I'll be following this post to see what others have to say since I'm just about ready to take my home brew stoves (pun intended) on the trail.

Best of luck!
    Tom G.

Images

Oh my oh my it sure does work well under the heiny pot. Perfect combination. Here is a photo from the thread fanceyfeast stove aka fancee feest

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...8&postcount=17

Lots of new folks around nowadays. Take a look see at the entire thread and read all about the fancey feast stove and how others have made them and like them. The name of the stove was changed to Fancee Feest for the fun of it

Images

check out Tinny's videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minibulldesign

this one works for the hieny keg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCL79...eature=related

you need a side cut can opener to make these pots
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Get yourself a Caldrea Cone/Fosters Can setup.
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/prodd...hp?prod=TDCKEG

I've modified the hell out of mine with the addition of a cut down neoprene sock holder, Refectix cozy for freezer bag cooking, etc.. Works great, packs small, and who knows what you'll end up using it for.
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...y2/SHAW020.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    That has to be about the cleanest flame pattern I've seen of all the stoves I've researched. And seeing it up close I can see how it would be very stable. As for me, this alcohol stove newbie will be back in the garage doing some more experimenting

Thanks Zelph
    Tom G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++