WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Attention Section Hikers

Its prime section hiking time! This summer I'm doing Katahdin to Gorham NH, then a few days in the whites.. I know many of us have been looking forward to these hikes since the last time we got of the trail! The year goes by and we find ourselves tripping again..Where are all the other loyal section hikers headed this summer???
    Happy trekkin'
    Peace
    -DT

I'll be doing a few miles on the AT/LT in Vermont, though I've done it twice before. The southern section has some wonderful swimming. A young hiker I met on the Backpacker forums will be hiking with a friend on his first long hike (Long Trail thru). I've section hiked the LT (had to, since I did the southern 100 miles while doing the Vt. AT).

I also hope to do the Ct. section. Then I'll have the AT through New England done with the exception of the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" and the ascent of Katahdin. I plan to do that when I'm done with the rest of the sections. I did Georgia in March of this year, and next year I'll be doing part of NC (God willing - I'm having a problem with bursitis on my left knee since my Ga. section hike).

Vitamin I!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Great plans..I'll be doing a LT At Hybrid next summer to complete my New England portion...I'm looking forward to it!..
    I'm leaving the 20th of june for a few days of Hiking in Acadia National then off to Katahdin for a (weather permiting) June 28th summit day!.. Then its South to NH...

Registered User Fat Man Walking's Avatar
    Images

Hi Yall

I'll be doing my annual two week pilgrimage to the trail the last week of July, first week of August. Starting where I stopped last year, Pearisburg, VA and heading to Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro, VA) Hope I make it, had big time foot problems last year and made me cut my trip short a week. But was still able to get 121 miles in. Plan to keep walking N until I get to the Big K.
    "Like the confluence of two streams, dreams & reality are joined, flowing as one. I know how lucky I am." - Cody GA-ME 2010

Just graduated HS in May and I'm looking foward to my first real section hike. Been backpacking since I was 10, and it's become a real passion for me.

Hiking from Harpers Ferry WV to the Middle of NJ. Leaving soon

Plan on thru hiking in 2010 God willing

In April my wife and I hiked from Fox Creek south 42 miles to Damascus.It was great.
    We may hike from Erwin north for 6 days next time out together.

I am planning on going from Sams Gap into Hot Springs. Anyone have the distance on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by joec
    I am planning on going from Sams Gap into Hot Springs. Anyone have the distance on that one?
    43.6 according to the AT database.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Smile Albert Mtn to Stecoah Gap

3 of us starting 6/16 for this leg. Can't wait. Anyone have trail condition report...how wet?

Images

I just finished Indian Grave Gap to Dennis Cove. I did it in 4 days, June 10-13. We had T-Storms 2 out of 3 nights on the trail which made for pretty bad trail conditions in some places. I fell 3 times, fortunately I didn't hurt anything seriously. Saw lots of hikers out enjoying the trail.
    Day 1 - Indian Grave Gap to Greasy Creek Friendly
    I parked my truck at Kincora Hostel and Bob Peoples gave me a shuttle to Indian Grave Gap. Bob told me of the recent re-routes and the new Montaineer Falls Shelter, which was good since it wasn't on my map or hadn't made it into the guidebook. When I got up to Beauty Spot it was pretty cloudy and any views were mostly obscurred. When I reached Greasy Creek Gap, intending to set up my tent, a T-Storm came up quickly. I was very tired after a 15 mile day and found the Greasy Creek Friendly sign and business cards. I quickly decided to avoid the coming T-Storm and head for the Friendly. I barely beat the storm, a real gully-washer. The lady who runs the Greasy Creek Friendly, I think her name is Connie, was very nice. She took good care of this hiker. I joined her on the porch for a nice cold beer. I recommend the Greasy Creek Friendly as a reasonable, welcoming place to stay.
    Day 2 - Greasy Creek Friendly to Overmountain Shelter
    Stopped at Clyde Smith Shelter for a break and met "Guiness" and "Redbeard", a couply of late starting NOBO thru-hikers. They started from Springer on May 18th and were making pretty good time. Next came the climb up Roan Mtn. That was a tough climb! I was wondering if the top would ever come. Had lunch at Cloudland Hotel area. Moved on to Roan High Knob but decided to bypass the shelter, as I was concerned about beating the forcast T-Storms. At Carvers Gap I took a "nature break" and one of the locals, who was there to get some spring water, led me to the spring, where I dumped out my old water and filled my bottles with that ice cold spring water. As I was walking out of the parking lot, a man and his wife pulled in and asked me if I was a thru-hiker (did I look that bad?). I told them I was just hiking a section. They offered me a Pepsi and snack, which I politely accepted. This was my 1st ever trail magic. So, moved on to Round Bald and Jane Bald, from which I had great views. Stopped for a break at the Stan Murray Shelter before the last push to Overmountain Shelter. Only one other hiker was there, though I don't recall his name. Another 15+ mile day and I was pretty beat down. I have read how much Jack likes Overmountain Shelter and I have to agree. What a view! We had T-Storms come through all night, I repeat, ALL NIGHT.
    Day 3 - Overmountain Shelter to Mountaineer Falls Shelter (NEW):What a crappy day for hiking this was! The trail was very muddy, slick and washed out in places from all the rain the night before. I slipped and fell 3 times. Watch out for those creek bridges that don't have the netting on them! I was on my butt faster than I could blink an eye. Watch out for the water bars when wet and don't step on them or you may fall as I did. Watch out for the logs used in step construction, same thing. Little Hump, Big Hump and Houston Ridge were all covered in clouds and I had no views. It was windy, misty and foggy, almost surreal. I did see some cattle up there but thats about it. I did clear off later in the day and I did get some views in at other points. I stumbled in to Mountaineer Falls Shelter after 11 hours on the trail, exhausted from hiking in the muddy, slick conditions. Bob Peoples and students from Appalachian State University constructed the Mountaineer Falls Shelter and it is very nice. It sleeps 10, I think. It has an overhang and eating area. It even has a place for dish washing/gray water disposal. Oh, forgot something! Met "Tex", a Section Hiker from Houston, TX, at the Applehouse Shelter. He was doing Pearisburg to Hot Springs.
    Day 4 - Mountaineer Falls Shelter to Kincora Hostel
    Made excellent time this day! Stopped at Moreland Gap Shelter for lunch and finished at Kincora at around 4 PM, another 15 + mile day.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Not section hikers per se ...but BadAss Turtle and I will be headed up to Maine on 7/1 to hike Gorham to Rangeley.

Can't wait to see that section without snow on the ground and/or freezing rain pelting me in the face.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default I will be later this year

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader
    Its prime section hiking time! This summer I'm doing Katahdin to Gorham NH, then a few days in the whites.. I know many of us have been looking forward to these hikes since the last time we got of the trail! The year goes by and we find ourselves tripping again..Where are all the other loyal section hikers headed this summer???
    Happy trekkin'
    Peace
    -DT
    I will be doing essentially the same section that you are except that I won't get all the way to Gorham. I plan to start at Katahdin and head south. At this point, I am planning to spend a lot of time taking pictures in the 100 Mile Wilderness, so I will probably stop at Monson. I will start the last week in August.

Shutterbug

Half Pint & ATmuttley here,
    Picking up @ Weaverton cliffs and continuing North this summer. Got to try to catch up. Will see what it like to hike with titanium rods in my back, I don't bend like I used to! plan on getting 300 miles this summer. Will get to see the ROCKS in PA.
    Eveyone have a good hike and take care!
    ATmuttley

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

I am planning to head down to Georgia in September to hike from Springer to Franklin, N.C.

In the meantime, I'm section hiking the Long Trail.

- Ivy

Images

Hello,
    do you know if there are any good loop hikes that use the LT,AT I am looking for 15-20 miles a good day hike?
    DreamHiker

Images

Thumbs up

6/26, starting at D.W.G. an headed through as much of the P.A. section as I can in 4 days!!! Yay, not much longer to go!!!!!

Images

Finished sectioning the AT last July with my Monson to Katahdin segment. Looking at a Fall trip on the Pinhoti to extend my GA-ME to AL-ME.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by poison_ivy
    I am planning to head down to Georgia in September to hike from Springer to Franklin, N.C.
    I was planning that as well (we were going to end at Deep Gap rather than Franklin, though), scheduled to start on 6/3 and end on 6/11. Due to car troubles, though, we couldn't make it then and hope to reschedule for later this year.

Instead we made the best of the time we could get and did from Clingmans Dome south to Fontana. Here's a link to my trail journal I recently posted for the trip: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15536
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

In May I hiked from Compton Gap in northern VA. to DWG. Got all the rocks in. In September I plan a month doing DWG to Manchester Center in VT.

going to do the GSMNP, start at Fontana to Standing Bear Farm. Planning on starting 2-3 week in Aug. Going easy 8 days.
    I have been thinking about this section every day for the past year.
    Sandy B

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++