WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default ps ,minnisota smith is great

yo minnisota im drunker than a fly in the corn squeezins thinkin bout ya! your an inspiration to the american spirit.well,...to my spirit .thank you jonny walker red.
    matthewski

Ridge,

You advised (Post #12), “... I carried my spaniel with me on hikes I realized his legs where just too short to continuously climb over rocks, trees, and every thing else. A long legged dog has it all over a smaller, short legged one, when it comes to hiking.”

I agree with you.

I bought a Rhodesian Ridgeback as a puppy from a breeder, and a mongrel terrier from a shelter when she was 13 years old. The terrier was fat when I got her but trimmed down and gained muscle largely through our walks; one mile every morning and another mile every evening. The terrier weighed 15 - 18 pounds, which I consider “a small dog,” and the Rhodesian weighed 115 pounds

We day hiked together off-season, when we wouldn’t meet other hikers.

I pretty much hike a straight line; staying on the trail. The Rhodesian occasionally ventured off trail the first hour or so. The terrier hiked a helix about the trail, investigating among rocks and trees, and along waterways, etc, covering two to three times the distance of my hikes. The Rhodesian and I would be “finished” at the end of a day hiking. The terrier wanted to continue. ALWAYS. This was true for day hikes. I wouldn’t have subjected them to repetitious long distance hiking, nor would I have subjected hikers to my dogs, regardless that my dogs were wonderful. The terrier’s stamina waned only during her last, her eighteenth, year at which point I left both dogs behind. I have stopped hiking with dogs at all.

They both had legs proportionally long for their bodies, but that terrier could out hike anything.

I should have added to my post, I doubt a three-and-a-half pound Chihuahua is going to fare well hiking distances. The need for a dog that size to hop up onto rock, after rock, after rock, each more than half the dog’s height has to take a toll.

A Thru-Hike reminds me of running a marathon. A marathon is mainly a test of endurance. A Thru-Hike tests long term perseverance as well as endurance. Some forget the original marathon, celebrated over much of the world, resulted in the runner’s death. Marathons aren’t necessarily “good” for us physically, regardless that most survive the experience. Thru-Hikes may similarly not be good for us, but they remain an admirable accomplishment. The dog’s perseverance tests its need to remain with its master. The dog doesn’t really have a choice; for the dog, it’s a cruel test.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

[QUOTE=poison_ivy]In 2003, I ran into a thru hiker named Tadpole who was thru-hiking with his very small dog, Twinkle Toes. I don't remember the breed, but I do remember she was small enough that he could scoop her up and carry her if need be. IIRC, his daily mileage was often determined by what Twinkle Toes could do... if the dog was starting to act tired it was time to camp whether Tadpole could keep hiking or not.

I met and hiked with Tadpole and Twinkle Toes. I spent a night in the Hemlock Shelter in Mass. with them. They are great. If there ever was an example of someone caring about a dog this was it. He even had a small goretex coat made for it. The dog rarely got tired because he often rode in Tadpoles shirt. If all dog hikers were like this guy, no one would have a problem with them. Unfortunately this is very very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    lp is thru hiking with his owner red b. i walked three weeks with them. lp,or low profile is a 4 lp chiwawa and is doing just fine thanks.
    I thought LP was for "Lucky Puppy" for, if I remeber correctly, he was rescued off the AT in '03.

Default low profile

i walked from miss janets to perisburg with him hes with clothspin and thoro now.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    lp is thru hiking with his owner red b. i walked three weeks with them. lp,or low profile is a 4 lp chiwawa and is doing just fine thanks.
    LP would be terribly offended. He is a Wiener Dog, and that's as far away from a Chiuwawa as a Philadelphian plumber from a Miami millionnaire

Hope you're doing fine Matt

Greez
    Bruno
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path [Morpheus - The Matrix]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Trailjournals

Weiner dog is a dachshund
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

I've had a few dachsunds some were great, one was a pain in the butt.

Get a long little doggie. (I always giggle when I hear that)
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

http://www.planetcesar.blogspot.com/

Maude and Cesar thru hiked with Trudy the Trail Dog and even have a DVD about her hike.

She was small enough to ride in a "front style dog carrier" under Maude's jacket and got through the Bear Mntn Zoo that way. She also got dehydrated and had to spend time in a vet hospital.

The third place a dog is not welcome is Bear Mntn Zoo, btw. There is an alternate trail for dogs & owner or if the Zoo is closed (or full of tourons, which ever is first).

Here's the book on his AT hike: http://www.pricebloopers.com/trailbook

HapKiDo
    HapKiDo
    Priority Change in 2007
    GA>ME2008
    If the weather cooperates!

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

She's only 3.5 lbs?!? Goodness sakes, drop some items from your pack, and carry her when she gets tired! We carry a great knitting sweaters for dogs book at work (Borders). Get some merino wool yarn, and make her a sweater.

Everyone says that dogs slow you down on the trail. Yep. Ed helps me with so many things, but the best thing he's done for me is slow me down. I'm a high-drive, A-type, overachiever, who probably has health problems because of stress. I never used to take breaks at work, and now I have to to take Ed out. Ed gets me outside, and slows me down. It is exactly what I needed, and probably need more of it. I know that on the trail I'd be the same way. Push, push, push. Making sure that Ed doesn't burn himself out slows me down too, and I get to enjoy my surroundings - why we go out on the trail in the first place.

Hike your own hike. If you don't finish the trail, because of your dog, so what? What did you see, while you were out there? Do you remember that funny expression on her face everytime she heard an owl, and it made you laugh? Look at those lovely pictures you got, and the bond that is stronger between you.

I have a mini schnauzer and after about 5 miles he want to be carried

Actually LP is a "miniature dachsund" with about three inch legs that looked like the last place he needed to be was the trail.
    Met him and Red B with Bluebird and her Border Collie Jasmine in North Woodstock NH.
    All I could think of were this poor little dogs pads which, on inspection were just fine. My feeling also changed when I picked this tiny little critter up and his wee frame was supported by 13 pounds of pure muscle.
    Later at Tom's in Dalton there was a newspaper photo of this same Red B with LP resting comfortably on top of his pack.
    I would think bringing any dog with you might greatly reduce the possibility of a thru hike if that is your intention. Other than that, if you want him there, be prepared for him to let you know it's not his thing. If that doesn't happen then enjoy your hike with your little furry friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Can you guess what that is?
    That you had a frying pan, sesame oil, and some kimchi for a side?

I'm intrigued by the idea of bringing a lil Taco bell dog on the hike.

The upsides, needs less food and water. You could probably stash the doggy in your pack and make it thru the smokies. Try that with a german shepard.

In the event your dog tires, you can carry it. If your dog becomes injured or just isn't doing the hike well, you can mail 3.5lbs of dog cheaply to a friend/family member.

I say, go for it.

The smallest dog I ever saw thru-hike was a really wonderful Jack Russell terrier, but this was an exceptional dog.

I dunno about a chihuahua, tho. Is it possible to train the dog to be carried somehow while you are en route? 2175 miles is a long way on those little legs.

And unless you keep it on a leash all the time, I think your pet has a good chance of getting lost, injured, or more likely, eaten.

Gotta tell you, I'm not sure this is a good idea, unless you and your pet have a great deal of backpacking/outdoor experience well before your thru-hike.

And if you're not sure if your pet is capable of doing more than your present mileage, forget about it......a six-month thru-hike means averaging 12 miles a day, every day. (Thisis an "average" mileage per day figure based on a 180-day trip, i.e. it includes your days off). In most cases, people hike between 14 and 18 miles a day over most of the Trail; this seems like a lot for such a little dog.

Default Twinkletoes was a chihuahua

I guess 10,000 miles of national scenic trails only has so much gained experience but I'll repeat this again, "I'll take any normal Chihuahua over any other normal dog, under any AT trail condition."

...yea, that's right, you heard it. I've seen dog after dog go down. I've seen people talk about how fit their dog is, how much hiking experienced their dog has, bla-bla-bla, but I've never seen a dog tough as Twinkletoes.

Tadpole, Twinkletoes, and I hiked back in my first thu-hike in '03. I talked to Tadpole about his chihuahua and was amazed at how able the little critter was. Twinkletoes was able to solo Dragons Tooth in Va because he can fit through the boulders, able to sleep in the shelters because he took up no room, allowed any place because his personality was fantastic. And unlike big dogs, Twinkletoes didn't go running up and down the trail like a nut, he just stayed right beside Tadpole not wasteing energy.

and if you think short legs have anything to do with ability then go ahead and put your money on the big-guy-football-player at the NYC marathon. which one? yea, you really don't see many, do you? in fact, the first ten finishers will be about 5'4", 110lbs. Kinda like a chihuahua, wouldn't you say.

so anyway, back to my experiences. As a rule of thumb, any small dog will perform any big dog over time and distance.

ps. Twinkletoes, when I met him, had already earned a "2,000 miler" rocker, and was half way to his second.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Consider what will happen to the little fellow when you are carrying him and fall.

Dehydration is a big issue, as well. His body area to volume ratio is high.

lp has thousands of miles under his paws and red blaze has thrued. dont say this dog or that dog can or cant. your minnesota smithing when you do.
    matthewski

lp out hiked most of us this year. he scampers and rests and fakes a limp when he wants to ride. and red b allways acomidates. there both living directly accross the street from shaws in maine and will be for the forseeable future. if anyone wants to give them a ring. pm me for a #.
    matthewski

Default One solution, if a hiker insists upon bringing...

a bait-sized dog along on the AT:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&in_a_source=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++