WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pack Cover vs. Pack Liner - HELP!

I'm a bit confused. Getting ready for an extended AT hike. Got my rain gear. Got my pack with "water proof" zippers. Got my Sil-Nylon saks inside the pack holding all my gear.

I understand that most hiking packs are only water resistent, not water proof. I've read here at Whiteblaze where many recommend a quality pack cover for rainy weather. Still others say to use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner (not cover).

If I use a pack liner (on the inside) will my pack be soaked? If I use a pack cover (on the outside) will it get torn up over time? Do I need a pack cover or liner if all the individual things in my pack are protected by ZipLoc or Sil-Nylon?

I can't let my poor fleece sleeping bag get wet!

What's the best option for me? I have a Gregory Z Pack and Mountain Hardware rain gear (top and pants...)

Thanks in advance!

-Erro

bomb-proof anything that just can't get wet- put your sleeping bag in several plastic/waterproof bags just to make sure.

if your pack has lots of outside pockets, go with a pack cover. If you pack stuff "loose" in the bag, get a liner.

I like to go with both, but I'm not an ultralighter, but cmon, how heavy is a trash bag anyway?

You can use a pack cover for a gear cover, a sink, extra water holder for camp, etc etc. Also emergency rain cover for running around in camp. (if you had a poncho tarp for example) A true multi-use item- of course it can only do one at a time...

titanium_hiker
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default use both

or pick one of the two you mentioned...i tend toward the pack liner setup and keep stuff on the outside that could use a washing every now and then..the stuff inside the pack liner i only access when setting up the house, thats usually the stuff that matters to be dry...pack covers are usually all or nothing and cover the outside side pockets that usually have stuff you will want to get to during the days hike
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I used HD trash bags for the sleeping bag, I do like the idea of the trash compactor bags though. I zip locked most everything else, and they were easily replaced if torn. The zips also help to organize stuff. I would use an emergency poncho as a pack cover if it was going to rain hard and for a long time. For outerwear I use Marmot Pre-Cip jacket and pants. I remember some hikers with full pack covers complaining about how hot, even in rain, they made their back feel.

Default Pack cover v. Pack liner

[quote]

"If I use a pack liner (on the inside) will my pack be soaked? If I use a pack cover (on the outside) will it get torn up over time? Do I need a pack cover or liner if all the individual things in my pack are protected by ZipLoc or Sil-Nylon?

I can't let my poor fleece sleeping bag get wet!

What's the best option for me? I have a Gregory Z Pack and Mountain Hardware rain gear (top and pants...)

Thanks in advance!"

-Erro
    [response)
    If you use just a pack liner(s) yes your pack will get wet & heavy. If you use a pack cover it is highly likely that it will wear over time. Use both. Most folks who are cost conscious use a garbage bag (39-44 gal. for the outside & two 30 gal. on the inside). Inexpensive & easily replaceable.
    Don't use a fleece sleeping bag. Go with a high quality down or synthetic.
    In regards to rain gear check out Dri-ducks (Gossamer Gear).
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Right about the sleeping bag, use a high quality synthetic bag, example is the NF Cat's Meow or equal. I thought you erred when you mentioned fleece, I figured you where talking about down. I really didn't know they made fleece sleeping bags, sounds like cotton to me, which could be very dangerous.

I use silnylon stuff sacks for my clothes and quilts, but they're not seamsealed. I put these in a compactor bag pack liner. Then I use a pack cover b/c I have 5 mesh pockets on my pack that I like to keep relatively dry.

The pack cover is blaze orange, so I use it even when it's not raining if it's hunting season. And I usually carry an extra compactor bag in case I need to make a poncho, VB vest, groundsheet, etc.

I use good waterproof stuff sacks for the items that are important to keep dry (sleeping bag, clothing, camera, etc.). My food goes in Zip-locks inside a Silnylon water resistant bag (but will probably switch to a "water-proof"). I also carry a pack cover. Trash bag liners are okay, but I find they tend to get small holes punched in them when packing and unpacking, so they don't truly stay "waterproof".

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

My suggestion is to consider taking both. A plastic liner bag will allow you to set your pack down without moisture getting through. The pack cover gives you protection from the rain.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Right about the sleeping bag, use a high quality synthetic bag, example is the NF Cat's Meow or equal. I thought you erred when you mentioned fleece, I figured you where talking about down. I really didn't know they made fleece sleeping bags, sounds like cotton to me, which could be very dangerous.
    Yep - sorry. I meant "down" - not fleece.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I use a contractors bag to line my pack....reg. trash bag for the bottom compartment......and a pack cover. People made fun of my quanity of plastic(I have a zip-lock think too!) But my stuff NEVER got wet!!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker
    I like to go with both, but I'm not an ultralighter, but cmon, how heavy is a trash bag anyway? titanium_hiker
    1.5 oz...

i use dropstoppers for rain gear. i think they're the same thing, pretty much, as dri-ducks, but i don't know for sure. jacket is 7oz, pants are 4.5, in my size anyway (large/XL)

i'd use both on a long trip. most of mine are short (2-4 overnights), so my garbage bag liner holds up fine. i also have only 1 outside pocket, and nothing in it needs to be kept dry (compass, aqua mira drops, DEET, headnet, other odds and ends.) everything else is inside.

i keep my clothing, hammock and sleeping bag in silnyl stuff sacks and use a pack cover. so far so good. the pack liner idea seems a bit odd. if you can keep the whole pack dry including the outside as well, why not go that route ?
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I use a pack cover. I think its a PITA to try and pack my pack with a liner of any sort. I double bag my down bag with plastic grocery sacks.
    I got caught in a torential rainstorm a couple of months ago and everything stayed very dry.

Default Airflow is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    I remember some hikers with full pack covers complaining about how hot, even in rain, they made their back feel.
    They were probably using an internal frame pack....Another good reason to use an external frame pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo!
    They were probably using an internal frame pack....Another good reason to use an external frame pack!
    True, the vast majority of packs are internal. I once considered one of those fancy lightweight carbon fiber externals, I just never checked any further. I do know you can carry a lot more on an external, My first packs where external but I switched somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    My suggestion is to consider taking both. A plastic liner bag will allow you to set your pack down without moisture getting through. The pack cover gives you protection from the rain.

'Slogger
    I gotta agree with the "Both!" sentiment. A wet pack is a heavy pack and takes forever to dry. A pack cover doesn't necessarily gaurantee you a completely dry pack all the time, but comes close. Stuff your sleeping bag in a trash or compactor bag. It's cheap and light insurance against a wet cold night's sleep...maybe several nights if you can't find a sunny spot to dry out.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Default wet pack is a heavy pack............

yes depending on the material the pack is made from...some pack cloth will 'hold' water, and when you look at the total square foot of material that can add up to sig. weight. syl-nyl packs cant/wont wet out or soak up the water and spectra will allow the water to pass through like a sieve...i'm guessing that older types of cordura that has lost its urethane coating will soak up sig. amounts of water weight....drain holes in the bottom are a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    drain holes in the bottom are a good idea
    hmm- first we had ultralighters drilling holes in their toothbrushes, now packs!?

claim back a few fractions of an ounce...

titanium_hiker
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

Default you're laughing but

most outside pockets already have drain holes....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++