WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking question Massachusetts AT

Anybody have any suggestions or experience with leaving a car at the AT at Rte 2 (N. Adams, Mass). I am looking for a place to leave a car for about ten days even if I have to use the bus system from the trailhead.

I left my car at the start of the Pine Cobble Trail (blue blaze 2 mile to the AT) in Williamstown when I sectioned the state of Vermont. Took the bus back to Williamstown from Dartmouth. Told the police what I was doing and they said they would drive by it every day or so and keep an eye on it. No problems.

Images

There is a school about a block south of RT 2 on the trail/street (trail east). You might want to check there. I left my car on the road for a day hike, but probably not good for 10 days.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

The "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" book says overnight parkign is available at the Greylock Community Club, which is on Route 2 in North Adams, 100 yards eas t of the AT crossing. It lists a phone number of 413-664-9020 for inquiries.

I parked overnight on Phelps Avenue without any problems but I don't know that it would be a good spot to leave the car for 10 days.

- Ivy

Quote Originally Posted by poison_ivy
    The "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" book says overnight parkign is available at the Greylock Community Club, which is on Route 2 in North Adams, 100 yards eas t of the AT crossing. It lists a phone number of 413-664-9020 for inquiries.

I parked overnight on Phelps Avenue without any problems but I don't know that it would be a good spot to leave the car for 10 days.

- Ivy
    I have parked there many times with no problem. It's always good to offer a small amount of money, but they've never taken it. Very good people, please don't hurt this relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    I have parked there many times with no problem. It's always good to offer a small amount of money, but they've never taken it. Very good people, please don't hurt this relationship.
    Same here. The Greylock Community Club is a great resource. The only thing they ask is that you park below the light pole behind the club building where your car will be visible. Do not park farther back near the ball field or in front of the building behind the club.

They may tell you permission is not necessary but I definitely would call beforehand as a courtesy, especially for an extended stay.

Quote Originally Posted by John S
    Same here. The Greylock Community Club is a great resource. The only thing they ask is that you park below the light pole behind the club building where your car will be visible. Do not park farther back near the ball field or in front of the building behind the club.

They may tell you permission is not necessary but I definitely would call beforehand as a courtesy, especially for an extended stay.
    I've also parked there.

What's your destination and time frame? You could leave your car at my house in Bennington, VT and I can shuttle you, if you need. I am going to the Baltic Sea states, then Iceland, Norway, and the Faroe Islands for a month, beginning July 13. Let me know if I can help.

Appreciate all the responses. Called the Greylock Community Club today and there is no problem using their facility. No fee, just park by the light, and leave a note in the mailbox or in person with identity and planned return date.

Images

Arla is that offer still open I looking to do 3 day 2 night next weekend. What a good spot to start going north south and end up in Bennington doing 10-12 miles each day.
    P.S sound like a great trip your going on.
    DreamHiker

++ New Posts ++