WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Stony Brook Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Stony Brook Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I stayed at Stony Brook Shelter the first night of my September 2000 section hike. This was a pleasant shelter with a solid plywood floor. The shelter faces east, but is within a fairly thick stand of trees, so there is little direct sunlight. Water is obtained from Stony Brook, no more than a quarter mile north on the Trail. There are a few tent sites around back.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

The 2001 Wingfoot (not sure if it's changed for current edition) says that this shetler is .7 off the trail..causing us to almost pass it by. We took "shelter" here during a wicked rainstorm coming from the Inn at Long Trail, and ending up spending the afternoon playing Hearts and Poker with trail-mix, watching it rain. Great little spot with plenty of tenting and roomy enough for 8-10.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

One interesting feature of the Stony Brook shelter is a rear deck covered by the roof overhang. This space serves as the kitchen area. The design accomodates more hikers, it is more comfortable than the usual alternative of sitting on the front edge of the shelter without any back support and most importantly, minimizes the amount of food that gets inside the shelter. The only other approach to separating the shelter from the eating area that I have seen on the Trail was in Virginia where the builders had erected a gazebo about thirty feet away from the shelter. This works just as well but its a much more costly option than the rear deck idea., which should be incorporated into shelter design generally. I seem to recall seeing the same type of deck on the Thistle Hill Shelter.
    Beegfut

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Unless they re-routed the Trail in 2001, the shelter is very close to, if not visible from, the Trail. Water is a ways down the Trail, northbound.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

There's been no change in the Trail past the shelter as of last week.
    Beegfut

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

My Thru-Hikers' Companion says it's 0.1 mi. off the trail. Perhaps Wingfoot's editors misread the 1 for a 7 that year. Happens quite a lot (in general, not in that book).
    --There is always more uphill.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Photo attached of Stony Brook shelter taken August 7, 2005. Shelter is very close to trail and is visible as you start down the side trail. It easily sleeps more than the 6 listed in the LT Guide (you can stand up and not hit your head) and there are plenty of suitable tents sites nearby. Water source is 100 yards north of shelter and, as of early August, still has large filterable pools of water.

Rough
    LT end-to-end 2003

++ New Posts ++