WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Smile

Starting on my birthday, April 1st/NOBO/Springer 15 to 20 give or take

Images

Unhappy uh oh : (

Hey everybody,

I actually started this thread and unfortunatly it doesnt look like it is going to happen anymore. I lost my job and the new one i just got doesnt pay nearly enough....**sigh**..Im not going to have enough saved up to cover anything when i was going to leave. : ( I guess i'll be meeting up with any 2008 hikers.

Hey Kryss, don't give up.....it's a long time til March/April, so you've plenty of time to save. Or if you go Southbound, you have til next June to save up.

Some other ideas:

*Start a separate bank account that is ONLY for your trip. Take NOTHING
    out of it unless it involves your hike
    *Try and find a part-time job at an outfitter's. It's a tremendous way to
    save on gear, plus you'll learn all sorts of useful stuff
    *Some of your gear (like your stove, for example) can be homemade on the
    cheap
    *E-Bay is a good place to shop for gear
    *There's an excellent article by Weathercarrot in the "Artcles" section of
    Whiteblaze that deals specifically with hiking on a budget; lots of good
    ideas there.

Good luck!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KRYSS1022
    Hey everybody,

I actually started this thread and unfortunatly it doesnt look like it is going to happen anymore. I lost my job and the new one i just got doesnt pay nearly enough....**sigh**..Im not going to have enough saved up to cover anything when i was going to leave. : ( I guess i'll be meeting up with any 2008 hikers.
    its ok... I was all ready to go 07 as well and the funds just didnt work out. Ill be seeing you in 08!! Just more time to gear up and do practice runs!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Smile Cherokee Tom

I plan to start on 10 March 2007 NOBO. I will be 71 years old at the start and I hope to finish on my birthday on September 17th. While I am working out and trying to get into good shape I still plan to start fairly slow. I will listen to my body and stop when it says its had enough for the day.

I look forward to meeting many of you out on the trail. Just wave and say hello as you pass me.

I am still trying to get my pack weight down as far as possible. Still at my age there are certain comforts that I need.

See you out there,
    Cherokee Tom

Default well... I took the big step today...

I knocked on my director's door and politely informed him that I would be leaving the end of the year.... and that I was going to do a little hiking next year.... he just shook his head.... hopefully my badge will still work in the morning...

*whew*... one more thing to check off the list....
    WhoAh

Default Can't wait to start, so starting REAL early.

Hi, All. I am having trouble waiting to start my hike. I've decided to begin November 1st and spend 8 to 10 months on the trail. I plan to have a lot of low mileage days and spending lots of time exploring the towns and sites that interest me along the way. Of all the thru hikers I've talked to, everyone says their only regret was not taking more time. So, I am going to listen to their advice and check it all out!

Three years ago I spent a month in Yellowstone in February, so I'm used to snow camping and extremely cold weather. I also prefer snow and cold to rain and bugs. My only concern is making sure I take enough time so I don't have to endure the black fly hatch in the northeast.

I expect it to be a lonely hike, so I was wondering if there are any other like minded hikers who are planning a similar journey. It would be nice to see someone on the trail once in a while.

Also, I am not sure if this makes me class of 2006 or 2007. What do y'all think?

Good luck to all.

Billman aka The Grimace
    ;) If we aren't supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?

Default Heading out REAL early

Leaving October 1st to 15th depending on job. Heading north from Springer. Taking it slow and easy. Budgeting extra money to see sites and wait out crummy weather. Doing a winter hike because I prefer snow and cold to rain and bugs! Good luck to all.
    ;) If we aren't supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default telling the employer

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAh
    I knocked on my director's door and politely informed him that I would be leaving the end of the year.... and that I was going to do a little hiking next year.... he just shook his head.... hopefully my badge will still work in the morning...

*whew*... one more thing to check off the list....
    Telling your employer has got to be the hardest thing as prep before a thru, unless of course you are between jobs or quitting. I had to tell my book editors about it, then the book editors switched and I had to tell the new one. Several anxious days went by, I must say. Then I got an e-mail from her - "Okay, we'll work around your schedule."

A big whew!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I would have had to quit my job in order to go, with nothing waiting for me when I got back, i decided i was ok with that. Then, right when i was going to tell them, I rebudgeted and it looked like I would have to go into debt to finish the trail, and then my job offered me a promotion.

So.... My husband and I decided to go in 08 and save up a little nest egg for when we get back from the trail as opposed to the opposite
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Images

Default Telling your boss you're quitting

Well I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to tell my boss before or after Christmas. I'm leaning towards when we're all back at work after the holidays. My last day is Feb. 28, and that will give her 2 months to find someone else, which is how long it took her to find me when the last person in my position quit.

Even though my job is a "temp" job (with only a 1 year guarantee...taking me to May of next year if I wanted), I still get butterflies in my stomach, because decisions are being made right now by her with the assumption that I'm going to be around. I've got a unique set of skills that she's able to access and it's probable that she won't be able to find someone else w/my combination of skils, but oh well.......... everyone is replaceable, and that definitely includes me!! I think quitting a job is definitely one of the harder steps, because it means letting go of that financial security that seems to be so hard to find thes days. It's all good...if I end up homeless after this ordeal, at least I'll still have my household on my back!!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Heading south from Maine around June 10th. Hope to pass all you NOBO's somewhere along the way - I'll be the Scotsman with the mad eyes. Good luck to all.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x
    I would have had to quit my job in order to go, with nothing waiting for me when I got back, i decided i was ok with that. Then, right when i was going to tell them, I rebudgeted and it looked like I would have to go into debt to finish the trail, and then my job offered me a promotion.

So.... My husband and I decided to go in 08 and save up a little nest egg for when we get back from the trail as opposed to the opposite
    Hey Roxy, there's a 2008 thread starting up!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...487#post234487

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default matthewski to launch feb 18th

my usuall method. craigs list for a ride to ammacalola and a night in the shelter at the visiters center on the 17th. wake and bake and split north on the 18th ,..sunday morning.walk 12's and 15's for a while and get my legs for the smokeys. switch my bag to a lighter one at damascus and fly.im lookin to do under 5 months.4 if i could. that would be a dream. but i think i finnaly learned how to slow down and avoid injurys witch result in zeros and slow o's .to the class!
    matthewski

Rockman1

Default Craig's List?

Matthewski (or somebody else?). Forgive my ignorance but what is "Craig's list"? I'm still figuring out my travel logistics for getting to the trailhead. Thanks!!!

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default services..lol

I have another question...are most of the hostels and stores ans such open year round along the A.T ?

Default only the worlds largest list

its a site where people find rides and apartments. im not sure if your pointing out a spelling mistake or asking what craigs list is cause its as big as google around here.
    matthewski

Rockman1

Thanks for the info on craigs list. I'm not concerned with spelling - just trying to figure out my options.

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default date

didnt someone say they were leaving springer in october? who was that?

Images

I'll be leaving February 27 or 28
    NoBo
    Solo
    I'll just have turned 18
    My trail name is Iceman Dan

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++