WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Walasi-Yi

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I'll have what she's having.
    If it's a mocha latte, me too! Can you imagine how wonderful that would be after 4 days from Springer to MC? Especially for the earlybirds?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post

The owners’ plans are to continue the business as is. No word on who will do the shakedowns, though.
    that place makes a ton of cash off them so-called "shakedowns"

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I heard from a very unreliable source that they are going to put in a Starbucks and fill their sales floor with North Face clothing.
    Eddie Bauer franchise

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    I stopped by Mountain Crossings today after Friday’s bad weather aborted my hike down from Dick’s Creek Gap and asked the person behind the counter if Winton had sold the place. With pleading eyes he looked over at a female employee and she said, “It’s okay, you can tell.” He pointed behind him toward the living quarters and said that George and Logan, the couple that had been managing the store, had bought it two weeks ago and taken over the lease of the building from Winton. He said that Winton has visions of a sailboat in his future. He plans to make some sort of good-bye announcement in a week or so.

The owners’ plans are to continue the business as is. No word on who will do the shakedowns, though. Everything looked normal, and store traffic was heavy as usual for this time of year. Outside, the same old psychotic cat walked along the stonewall alternately greeting some visitors’ outstretched hands with a rub, and others with a bite, whatever struck its warped fancy. About sixty feet up in one of the trees that grow in the ravine south of the outside patio sat a black bear, oblivious or uncaring to the camera carrying gawkers and waiting patiently for darkness to fall in order to begin his nightly scavenger hunt for the carelessly tossed candy wrapper, or sticky-lined Styrofoam cup. The sun broke though the gray clouds and set the entire mountainside ablaze with the seasonally late arriving reds, oranges, yellows, purples, and golds. For a moment Yonah peeked out above the ridgeline to the South, its toothy grin once again greeting the hikers climbing out of Neel’s Gap and laughing at them all the way to Unicoi.

Suddenly my mind was flooded with the memory of sitting here on the patio more than a quarter a century ago with my seven-old daughter, proud of the little trooper for making her first trek up Blood Mountain. I wondered if her own now seven year-old child would also stand here a half a century from now and remember generations gone and then ponder if her own grandchildren will one-day stand here also. A tug on my arm brings me back to reality. I look down into the face of my wife, still as fresh as the spring day that I married her forty years ago, and into her eyes, bluer than any sea that the restless Winton will ever sail. And, she gently says, “There is hot coffee waiting for us on the square in Dahlonega.” We turn to walk across the smoothly worn stone and down the ancient steps, the disappointment of the aborted hike replaced with the joy of generations gone and to come.

The days are growing shorter. Before long the mountains will be filled with the sound of the bare, ice-covered limbs rattling against each other like dry dead bones. But, for now it’s Autumn, the world is ablaze in color, and life is really, really good.
    That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing, The Ace. :>) Thanks for the reliable info too.

It's a business. They need to pay the bills. I have always had good experiences when I passed through. Be it hiking or riding my motorcycle.

Sent from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that place makes a ton of cash off them so-called "shakedowns"
    Just say no

Anyone know when the "shakedowns" started. I thru'd back when Jeff and Dorothy ran the place and nobody offered me a shakedown. I was the only hiker in the store at the time so they certainly would have had the time.

Glad to hear it's not changing....Thanks Ace for the nice report....

When passing through in June, I asked them to take a look at our packs-zero pressure, great experience and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Eddie Bauer franchise
    I heard they were going to install a ski lift to the top of Blood Mountain!

Is that the only way you can get to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Is that the only way you can get to the top?
    How else will you reach the kiddie rides and shooting galleries?

I think they should go with one of these. White Mountains October 2013 205.jpgWhite Mountains October 2013 207.jpg
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post

I think they should skip the tram and just use the cannon to get people to the top. It's much faster!

cannon.jpg
    Last edited by Train Wreck; 11-03-2013 at 22:40.

And I do believe that is an Eddie Bauer jacket.

And I do believe that is an Eddie Bauer jacket.
    Eddie Bauer is a North Face wannabe.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I stopped in here yesterday on my way home from son #2 wedding in Cumming. The place seems pretty mike like I remember it from Oct 2010. The hostel is different inside. Nate told me that Pirate stops in once in a while and that the official transfer of the business happened last Thursday. They intend to keep things like they were. Had beautiful weather!! The cat was pretty nice.

Journal Entries

Why did Pirate leave? He was so well known there I don't think the new owners wouldn't want him there. What's he doing now?
    RIAP

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Eddie Bauer is a North Face wannabe.
    Interesting observation considering EB invented the quilted down jacket decades before TNF started selling their wannabe clothes to yuppies in San Francisco.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bfayer; 11-05-2013 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Interesting observation considering EB invented the quilted down jacket decades before TNF started selling their wannabe clothes to yuppies in San Francisco.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    TNF is an EB wannabe.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++