WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gorham shutles

Images

Default Gorham shutles

Hello,
    Is there a shuttle service from Gorham to Wild cat mountain? Im planing on doing a section of the At using the Carter Moriah Trail and coming out on the Wildcat ridge trail.
    DreamHiker

Quote Originally Posted by dreamhiker
    Hello,
    Is there a shuttle service from Gorham to Wild cat mountain? Im planing on doing a section of the At using the Carter Moriah Trail and coming out on the Wildcat ridge trail.
    DreamHiker
    Have you checked the ATC shuttler list?
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site..._the_Trail.htm

Actually, you're talking a pretty short distance. If I were you. I hitch. Last August, I hitched from Pinkham to the Trail crossing Rt. 2 outside Gorham with no problems.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

It is really easy to hitch in that area.

You could also try calling the Shuttle Connection -- you can find their info at http://www.theshuttleconnection.com but it will cost you since they are based in Lincoln.

You can also check out the AMC's hiker shuttle at http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm -- however I find their pickup times are very inconvinient.

- Ivy

Is Hikers Paradise still dooing their thing? If you stay there they're likely to give you a free shuttle. They took me all the way back to Franconia Notch once.

http://www.hikersparadise.com/hikersparadise.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Is Hikers Paradise still dooing their thing?
    Whatever happened to Bruce? I heard he up & left one day. Nice guy.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Is Hikers Paradise still dooing their thing? If you stay there they're likely to give you a free shuttle. They took me all the way back to Franconia Notch once.

http://www.hikersparadise.com/hikersparadise.htm
    when i stayed at hiker's p-dise in '03, it had changed vastly since '01.

among other things, they were no longer doing shuttles.

Images

I just looked up the Hikers Paradise web site and found this "Limited free shuttles to and from the A.T. Trailheads at Rt. 2 and Pinkham Notch with stay at Paradise." looks like a good place to start and stay the first night. they also offer long term parking.
    DreamHiker

Arthur Jolin in Gorham runs White Mountain Tour Services his phone number is 466-2127. He has been reported to be reliable in the past and expects a "donation" for his services. (you may want to establish the expected "donation" in advance). I have not used his serivces.

There is also E-Z taxi 466-9922 or 752-4696.

If you look like a hiker, there is a high likelyhood that you can hitch

The Carter/Moriahg Trail is a short walk from Gorham. Wildcat ski area and also where the AT crosses Rte. 16 is only a short hike (mile) to Pinkham Notch AMC Headquarters where you can ask for rides to Gorham (c. 7 miles). Lots of hikers pass through Gorham. Easy hitch.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dreamhiker
    Hello,
    DreamHiker
    ========================
    When are you needing the shuttle ?? We're in Gorham now and have a rental car. Hangin in the area doing some sightseeing after hiking in from Rangeley. Give us a call at the Hikers Paradise if we can help you out between today and Friday. We're flying out on Saturday morning.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Hey Slogger, can you say hi to Maryann and Bruno for me? Tell them I'll be back to visit some day. Thanks!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Hey Slogger, can you say hi to Maryann and Bruno for me? Tell them I'll be back to visit some day. Thanks!
    ==========================
    Will do man ...

And did you know that they're trying to sell the place? Been on the market for a while now. If it goes to someone not interested in running it as a hostel we're gonna lose another AT tradition !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Yeah, I knew they were trying to sell. Wish I had the cash and credit.

most of the buisinesses on the main street of gorham are for sale in anticipation of the spin off from the super walmart being built north of the trestle. A lot of the long time buisiness owners have figured thats it time to cash out and are asking high prices for thier real estate.

Images

Arthur Jolin is a nice guy and reliable, but he will charge you from the time he leaves his house to the time he drops you at your final destination. He recalculates his hourly rate based on how much his previous fare paid. Basically, if Artie gets a nice big tip from the previous hiker, you will pay more because his average hourly pay has increased.

++ New Posts ++