WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where in the US should I hike?

So. As a graduation present, my sister is buying her and I plane tickets to go backpacking anywhere in the United States(<$400). I'm not very experienced at all, but the only time I've ever gone backpacking, was a three day solo hike in the Kittattinny ridge on the hottest day of the summer (literally), for which I overpacked a whole lot, and I managed that fine. Any suggestions? Don't really know much about what to do, because I haven't traveled in any usual manner before. (I've traveled to England and stayed with family, and I used to live in the Carribean on a sailboat). Any suggestions of hostels, where I can buy fuel for my stove ect.? And where I should go!? I live In New Jersey, and plan on going in August.

That's less than $400 dollars per round trip fare.

Take the airfare and buy some gear and head toward the AT in NJ, I'd say go toward Katahdin @ Baxter State Park in Maine. Won't be far from home if you need to bail out.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Whats up Jerseyan? I am also in NJ currently, Summit. If I could hike anywhere in the US, hmmm, I'd say the NJ to ME section in fall. Start in late july or early august and watch the trees change color. I'd have to say the trails in the NE during fall are overwhelmingly beautiful.
    You are in heaven.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes
    That's less than $400 dollars per round trip fare.
    How much time do you have and what time of year you go?

If I was leaving now I'd do Vermont, New hampshire or maine.

Maybe the Long Trail. http://www.greenmountainclub.org/
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Default for less than $400 round trip per person

My wife and I are going to Alaska this summer for a little less than $400 a person. We're flying on Delta from New York to Salt Lake City. There we get a second flight to Anchorage. The return is Anchorage, Seattle, New York. It's just under 800 for the 2 of us. This trip will be as a tourist, with plenty of spare time for day hikes. We're already thinking of a second trip there for a week or 2 week hike.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Anywhere in the U.S. in August: I'd try out either the John Muir Trail or re-hike the Long Trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

If you can go anywhere in the US go to Glacier National Park it has the best hiking in the US IMO.
    DreamHiker

Images

Default where in the US should I hike

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Anywhere in the U.S. in August: I'd try out either the John Muir Trail or re-hike the Long Trail.
    yes I agree with that!Ky

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    good luck trying to get out to CA for less than $400 for two people.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

i think diogenes said $400 per person in post #2

tideblazer
    Images

If you've got airfare covered, go west!.

I suggest.... well what time of year will it be? I was going to suggest some desert spots, but choose your hikes carefully....

I suggest hiking the coastal strip in the Olympic National Park. It is the most unreal place I have ever seen. Totally nude in the stark morning of creation!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

I would consider flying to Seattle or San Francisco and visiting one of our National Parks (Rainier, Yosemite, Olympic) and do some shorter hikes. How cool would that be!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Forget the plane tix. Have ur sister buy 2 bus tickets up to Bangor/Millinocket. Start hiking the AT south from Katahdin. You'll get home by thanksgiving and will walk thru cool temps and wonderful foliage.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I second (or third) the "go west" comments. Shop around for cheap airfares. It should be doable if you buy far enough in advance OR are flexible and take a last-minute deal. My wife and I just got round trips from DC-Albuquerque for $169 each. The rental car cost more than the flight . . .

I would suggest the Tetons (although it's hard to get cheap flights into Jackson Hole), or the quiet parts of Yellowstone. Olympic NP west of Seattle is amazing, or you could go to Ranier or the North Cascades while you are there. The Sawtooths in Idaho are beautiful in August. The Southwest will be scorching, so you will probably want to stay further north or up high. [That's high in elevation, you deviants! :-] Fly into Bozeman and hit the Wind Rivers.

The West is a world all it's own, and just about anywhere you go in the mountains will be an eye-opener for you.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

I am probably repeating what others have said but it depends on the time you have for the trip and what you are looking for. You could get a flight at the end of August (just before Labor Day) on JetBlue out of JFK to Seattle for <$400 round-trip for each of you. Then you could go to Olympic National Park or maybe take enough time to do the Wonderland Trail around the base of Mt. Ranier.

There are so many places you could go it's really hard to nail it down for you. But JetBlue is a great airline for getting to places cheaply (and all the flights I mention are direct!). They also fly to Denver and Salt Lake City (each about $300 round-trip per person - leaves $200 for other stuff).

As far as fuel, if you do fly into Seattle there is a huge REI store in the city and I am sure other places you could go (probably even a Wal-Mart would do). No matter what, it sounds like a great trip is in the works and I am jealous! Have fun!

Thanks alot for all of the suggestions! I did forget to mention that this will be a 10 day thing - being that I am a college student and she has a job, but most of the suggestions still apply. I'm really into doing something near the western coast. Oregon seems interesting. Mainly because I never hear anybody talk about Oregon, which leads me to believe that it must be pretty nice and quiet. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated as well!

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes
    Thanks alot for all of the suggestions! I did forget to mention that this will be a 10 day thing - being that I am a college student and she has a job, but most of the suggestions still apply. I'm really into doing something near the western coast. Oregon seems interesting. Mainly because I never hear anybody talk about Oregon, which leads me to believe that it must be pretty nice and quiet. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated as well!
    Oregon is awesome and you would love it! JetBlue also flies direct to Portland (another <$400 round-trip!). My brother moved to Portland a year ago and he loves it there. You are near Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge, the PCT, etc. Lots to do and plenty of places to backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    I'd hike on the Olympic peninsula of Washington state.......

It is simply a fantastic place. But, don't get lost and expect a search to be done in the fashion that was just ended. The park officials and local law pulled out every stop and went an extra several miles in trying to locate Gilbert Gilman, a WA state gov official, who got lost after going on a day hike back in late June. They even brought in retired Rangers who where experts in locating people in the park as well as divers to search rivers, and helicopters with infrared sensors. This shows how the gov works, will do for each other way before they will for the general public. If this kind of search had been done for John Donovan on the PCT, who knows, he may be around telling the story. This also tells you that getting lost is serious business and you need to give someone an itinerary and stick to it instead of carrying a cell phone and hoping someone will find you.

Default Wyoming/ Tetons

Having just returned from a week in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons I'd say go there.... I wasn't super impressed with Yellowstone - but we never really got off the beaten path. The Tetons are AMAZING....go there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++